THe Utility Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

What is your utility gig guitar? The workingmans axe? The one guitar that can handle the task no matter the genre?

2. matte

matte Senior Member

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

For everything I do, my Custom 22 PRS fills the bill. McSwitching, so with the coil tap, I can even get semi convincing chicken picken tone.

But before this guitar, my Tele was never to far away.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

Not that's onebighairybeast!:dude

5. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

My American Deluxe strat with an SD twangbanger in the rear and vintage Fralins in the front. The twangbanger can be dialed in to be so Tele-like it's almost funny, yet positon four quack still sounds authentic. The front pickup will probably be replaced later on for a Fralin SP 42 so the old standards and jazz sound a little more authentic. However, taking the tone down to three makes for a nice round front pickup sound. This is the one guitar I own that can do everything I need it to do.

6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

This one is easy. I only own one guitar at the moment.

My attitude towards guitars over the years has been one of serial monogomy. It doesn't really matter how many guitars I own at any given time, I only ever seem to play one of them for long stretches of time, periodically moving from one to the next and selling the previous be-all and end-all.

For the record, this is currently "the one" (although it will probably be replaced in a few months by one that is now under way).

[​IMG]

7. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Honestly, any guitar that is comfortable weight, stays in tune, plays comfortably, and has a couple pickups will work fine for me. Sure I like variety, new toys, etc. but almost any of my recent guitars can pretty much cover anything. Right now I am playing a suhr classic T, with standard tele set up. I can really cover any rock, surf, country, blues, funk and jazz I need to with this guitar, a nice amp and a pedal. Between pickup selection, volume and tone tweaks, tweaks to the amp, and playing touch, I really don't need anything else. Of course I like having other stuff too:D

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have a G&L Legacy w/Duncan Vintage Stacks in the N/M position and a 'Lil 59 in the bridge. Not much mojo, but it will get me thru just about any gig, plays great and stays in tune.

It's usually sitting on a stand, in case my #1 for that particular gig breaks a string.

Loudboy

9. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I think that Rick Nielsen's Hamer with, like, SIX necks would have to be my answer. :D

10. Mark C

Mark C Member

#1 - ES335

#2 - Tele with mini-humbucker in the neck.

11. Redmaz

Redmaz Supporting Member

+1 on the G&L Legacy

Mine is stock w/ 3 single coils and a reverse headstock. My band plays country, blues, classic, alternative and modern rock. I might get smacked down for this, but overall there are many things I like better about my G&L than the Lentz ash S I used to have.
    :eek:

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Another G&L Legacy player here - DiMarzio VirtuAL 2 pickups, stock otherwise (rosewood board, sunburst).

'Course splatt now has me thinking Koll too... ;)

13. jbright44

jbright44 Member

My modified G&L ASAT classic is it for me. Little '59 in the bridge duncan '59 in the neck with coil tap on the bridge pickup and a graphtech F.A.A.S. piezo pickup system (now they call it the ghost). It gets it done just about every way it can be got done.

14. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

Mine's rather similar; PRS SantanaSE w/ trem, McCarty switching, SD Jazz & Custom Custom.

I chose that one as my 'all arounder' as my STD22 is fitted with EMG's and is a definate metal master.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

My McCarty Rosewood, I use it for jazz gigs, split the coils for James Brown, kick on my Tonebone for rock. Feels and sounds perfect to me! The rosewood neck is soooooo cool, sustains 20% longer than my Custom 22.

I have to make myself play my other guitars, or else I’d be getting a fret job on this one every year…

[​IMG]

16. Joe

Joe Senior Member

I have Steve Stevens that can do 17 pick-up possibilities via coil taps, etc...

17. CHyde

CHyde Member

Right now my #1 for all things is my Yamaha RGX-TT Ty Tabor model. It has a JB in the bridge & cool rails in the middle & neck positions. A great playing guitar & very versatile. Soon it will be replaced by a PRS goldtop McCarty with maple top.

18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

For utility, once you find the "right" Strat, it's pretty hard to beat.

19. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Here is my do it all guitar:

04 Melancon Custom Artist

[​IMG]

My backup live guitar for any gig is the Line 6 Variax 700 in sophisticated black. It is a utility guitar by design.