1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

The value of seven way switching?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by veryzer, May 24, 2011.

1. veryzer

veryzer Member

How many of you have it on your strats? Do you consider it a novelty or a worthwhile tool. Descriptions of the sound?

2. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

Are you referring to the adding of two combinations to a standard Strat 5 way?
    If so; I find the added bridge/neck combo to be quite useful. Sounds like a Tele's middle position.
    The all 3 pickup combo-not so much. Muddy and dull to me.
    S Mac

3. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I like having the option to have the various pickup combinations, but it really depends on how you accomplish that as to whether or not you find it accomodating to your personal style and sound.

There is more then one way to get the same things from a Strat.

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Sounds kinky, pretty sure it's illegal in some states.

5. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i didn't even know they were out there... sounds cool though. i would guess that i would get lost in the 7 switch spots. a toggle might be cooler... then agin, that just too much stuff for me. i like the concept, but would like to try one before rewiring my baby.

6. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I install the 7-voice mod on all my strats. It is a worthwhile tool, IMO. The 'all 3 pickups on' tone is big and full with what I would describe as a very 'round' sound. The neck & bridge on reminds me slightly of a tele middle position. In the end, the thing I like best is that it truly does expand the pallette of the strat - the 2 additional tones don't sound anything like the stock 5 sounds.

7. veryzer

veryzer Member

Yes, that's exactly it. Thanks for the input all. I think I'll opt for it.

8. Arjan

Arjan Member

Personally I prefer 5 way switching with the second tone knob becoming a blender knob. I have this on my partscaster strat now and it works great.

9. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Too much to do while I'm trying to make music! :)

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

If you think that's a lot to juggle, try out a PRS 513 model sometime,lol!

11. zul

zul Supporting Member

I have a mini on-on-on switch for my humbucker in HSS config for parallel/single/series. 5 way switch with 9 combinations; not confusing to me but I've used this for the last 20 years.

I think that I would not be comfortable with a 7 way switch because it will be hard for me to tell, by touch or visually, what pos I'm on when it is not on the outer positions - in between the in-betweens if you follow my drift.

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

It's been a while since I've had a strat set up this way.
    I really liked the neck/bridge combined. It has kind of a Tele twang to it.
    I really didn't care for the all three pickups on sound. It seemed to loose some of the character of the quack in positions 2 & 4, and the Twang of the neck/bridge combined. I didn't find myself using it very often.