The Vaughn Brothers/Stevie Ray content

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lotis, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

So I always thought how could someone who could play with such deep feeling and chops as SRV not take it a bit farther and grow out of the Jimi/Albert thing and come up with their own voice?. I always preferred Jimmie. I saw Jimi and Albert on the same bill and Albert many times after. So I just read a new book called Texas Flood about SRV. It is mostly in his own and his friends, family and bandmates words. Illuminating and highly recommended. So this read caused me to take a close look at the Vaughn brothers. Been listening to nothing but on earbuds for days. Once SRV got clean....look out. In Step is headed somewhere so good and Riviera Paradise is just so beautiful and indicative of where he was headed. And the Vaughn Brothers together with Niles Rogers at the helm....Jeez. It doesn't get better than this! Stevie restrained and in the song groove and Jimmie just hittin' that note. So almost 30 years later I am lamenting the loss of a great artist about to hit his peak. Clean, sober and vital. And he could sure sing. What a team. In a helicopter accident after surviving near death by self abuse. Damn. Tragic.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, I get that. While I appreciate the fire & emotion of Stevie, he got a little too predictable to me. And yes, I also feel the clean Stevie was working his way out of that. And, like Hendrix, I always wondered where they were headed.

Jimmie is a cool groove master...and I was never quite sure where he was heading with a solo, which kept me interested. Loved the Tbirds too...I never heard them live but I think they would be a great small club band that would keep the place hoppin'. Once Jimmie sets the groove, it grabs you!

Lotis likes this.
  3. erksin

erksin Member

Family Style is his best record, IMO. And I was a *huge* fan back in the day.

Lotis likes this.
  4. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I was listening to Family Style earlier today. I still love at much as the first time I heard it. It's just a fun uplifting album full of joy.

Lotis likes this.
  5. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

It's Vaughan for god's sake.