• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Versatility of a Guitar with a Scalloped Fingerboard

Phil3

People who can easily shred, can easily shred. Just saying. Put a Les Paul in Satch's hands, he'll play the daylights out of it.

GerryJ

Not played one, but checked out numerous threads/players who did.
Essentially, it kind of reminds me of what several old-timers have said thru the years-
"If you know how to play, it doesn't matter what you play. If you don't know how to play, it doesn't matter what you play."

As an example, Ritchie Blackmore sounds the same to me on a Gibson ES335 (early in his career) as on a scalloped strat.

fenderjapan

WCW World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
Not played one, but checked out numerous threads/players who did.
Essentially, it kind of reminds me of what several old-timers have said thru the years-
"If you know how to play, it doesn't matter what you play. If you don't know how to play, it doesn't matter what you play."

As an example, Ritchie Blackmore sounds the same to me on a Gibson ES335 (early in his career) as on a scalloped strat.
Check out my Vid for evidence ;)

John 14:6

You actually can play anything on a scalloped neck guitar. I have owned a couple YJM Strats and for years they were my main guitars. They are fantastic for Blues playing where you do a lot of bending because you can get such a great grip on the string for more power and control, and the bending is frictionless because your fingers are not rubbing on the neck wood. You an use a capo also because I have used capos on my YJM Strats when playing at church for some songs. The standard bridge will stay in tune 98% as well as a Floyd Rose if you know the little tricks to keep it tune.

Basically by lubing all the string contact points and stretching out every string completely where when you do some serious whammy abuse the string is still in tune. Do this with each string and learn how to properly stretch a string. Best way I have found is pushing downward on the string with your thumb and upward with the other fingers while running your hand back and forth from the bridge to the nut. Lube the bridge saddles, nut slots and string tree and you should be able to use the bar like Jeff Beck all night.

fenderjapan

WCW World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
You actually can play anything on a scalloped neck guitar. I have owned a couple YJM Strats and for years they were my main guitars. They are fantastic for Blues playing where you do a lot of bending because you can get such a great grip on the string for more power and control, and the bending is frictionless because your fingers are not rubbing on the neck wood. You an use a capo also because I have used capos on my YJM Strats when playing at church for some songs. The standard bridge will stay in tune 98% as well as a Floyd Rose if you know the little tricks to keep it tune.

Basically by lubing all the string contact points and stretching out every string completely where when you do some serious whammy abuse the string is still in tune. Do this with each string and learn how to properly stretch a string. Best way I have found is pushing downward on the string with your thumb and upward with the other fingers while running your hand back and forth from the bridge to the nut. Lube the bridge saddles, nut slots and string tree and you should be able to use the bar like Jeff Beck all night.
You should watch my vid :)

b_goatman

Gold Supporting Member
In 1977, I sat about 20 feet away from John McLaughlin in a small club, where he played this Abe Wechter guitar with Shakti:

1606041995210.png

A year later, I saw him with The One Truth Band, where he played a scalloped-fingerboard 345:

1606041650448.png

Trending Topics