The Vertex Axis = BBE Ben Wah - Bermuda Triangle Axis Wah Continued

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strangec, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

Since the (second) original thread (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1458484) was closed with 1000+ posts, I thought we should continue to have a open thread so Mason, or his legal council, would have a forum to post any responses. Also for the de-goopers to expound additional information that may be uncovered.

We last left off with malabarmusic's posting below and calls for the BBE Ben Wah and Vertex Axis Wah pots to be connected to a multimeter:

"I want to be crystal clear for the benefit of everyone who's been following this saga, any latecomers to the drama, and also the attorney who - on behalf of his client - sent me a letter containing an accusation of libel.

In June 2013 I paid full retail for a new Vertex Axis wah from an authorized dealer. Having owned well over 15 wahs over the years, I knew the sound I wanted and the Axis delivered. While the pedal was pricey, it satisfied my wah itch like none of the others I'd owned or tried (including many boutique brands/models as well as a handful of Dunlop and Vox units).

A week or so ago while perusing TGP I read a number of posts addressing the apparent similarities between the BBE Ben Wah (which I'd never tried) and the Vertex pedal. The more I read, the more I felt sick to my stomach. After popping the hood on my Axis and comparing it to pics I found on the web, I went from feeling sick to feeling deceived.

I'm not a tech or a DIY kind of guy, but as noted earlier in this thread I felt compelled to start chipping away at the goop. I had no agenda other than learning exactly what I had bought and sharing that knowledge with my TGP brethren. My pedal is my personal property, goop does not convey patent protection, and the 1st amendment is still in force (notwithstanding what a certain attorney asserted to me in a certain letter).

I won't repost the earlier pics, but earlier tonight I took delivery of a brand new BBE wah (purchased online from Sam Ash) and popped the hood. I may continue with the Vertex degoop, but at this point I don't know that it's necessary. [And I've already lost one transistor due to my hamhanded inexperience.] In any event, I will let the pics below (apologies for iPhone camera quality) speak for themselves."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

:wave Was missing my Vertex fix. Here we go! :D

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

At least the info won't fall out of sight now. Could you link to the first thread at the top of the first post?

4. creatorcreator

creatorcreator Member

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

6. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

7. creatorcreator

creatorcreator Member

I request malabarmusics post be a sticky, if not the thread entire.

Anyone else?

0xeneye likes this.
  8. iggs

iggs Member

Even comes with the same battery ... LOL

Phosphenetre likes this.
  9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

What's in your wah-wah?

10. DamianL

DamianL Member

All very interesting...

Has anyone looked at the other Vertex offerings?

And is the boost out yet?

D

11. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

This is the first time I've really ever felt truly deceived by a manufacturer. It ultimately bums me out...I want to believe in the people I do business with and that they genuinely do care like their mission statements claim.

12. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

:stir

13. zsno

zsno Supporting Member

TIL that my next wah will be a BBE Ben Wah.

I also learned that I will never buy any Vertex product.

Dude said it's a handmade wah, with custom made pot and inductor. He then changed the story to say he used BBE circuit boards. Then he changed it again to say he bought the "units" directly from BBE.

It's really just a BBE with MAYBE a different inductor, and MAYBE some small component changes. But not enough to warrant me giving an extra $250 to a dishonest builder.

14. Chococat

Chococat Member

Well I guess that's that, lol. :bow:rotflmao:rotflmao

15. owen2j

owen2j Member

This could be great for BBE's business.

I hate this sort of thing, we are supposed to be musicians who like gear and share a common interest. For people to try and just take money from people, and it isn't exactly cheap money either. Dare I call it scum? or just be nice and call it wrong...

16. L0ki

L0ki Member

So refresh my memory of the last thread re: Small Bear Wah pot.... Is that part replaced or in both? That would be a very cheap and easy 'custom' upgrade.

17. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

Well whoever wrote it needs to understand the difference between "exception" and "exceptional".

18. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

TBH that's actually what shocked me most when I opened the BBE!

19. L0ki

L0ki Member

Yeah, I did get all of that and agree with you, "stinkfoot modified ...." is acceptable if it is that, just as Keeley and Analogman are transparent and highly regarded.

There was talk of tracing the pot to Small Bear but the parts in the pics don't even seem to be that different so that's what I'm trying to clarify without tracing through 1000 posts to still be unclear.

20. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

The small bear pot was in the NOS Axis version. I'm tempted to blow $400 on one to see what NOS parts are under the goop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.