The very first amp in a box thread ever...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jim Marciano, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Instead of I like this and i hate that and then someone else saying well you didn't use it right and this sucks too

what are you using? is it a marshall, vox, fender, dumble, peavey, gorilla-in-a-box? and equally as important what amp are you using into and what other pedals so you stack it or boost it with?

I'm not looking for recommendations, i just want to now what works for you

and for the guy who came just to say an amp in a box will never sound like the actual amp ...i get it

i am currently playing a strat into a chasetone 68 red velvet fuzz into the 5e3 side of a lovepedal les lius into a fender vibrochamp and I'm very happy with it

The-Kid, HeavyCream and AceBSpankin like this.
  2. mikeyfam

mikeyfam Member

Kingsley Page into Kingsley Maiden D. Incredible tones.

3. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

MIAB direct solution -- Tech 21 British.

Pidgin English and Jim Marciano like this.
  4. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

DIAB

[​IMG]

VIAB

[​IMG]

:hide

The-Kid and Jim Marciano like this.
  5. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Does the HX Stomp count? I solely use it for direct to PA and headphone amp/IR sim and its incredible. I balked at the idea of going ampless for the longest time but after taking a break from playing for a while and just last year picking things back up and realizing my amp was on the fritz, I decided to finally just take the plunge and opted for the stomp instead of investing the money into fixing up my amp. I'm using a stereo setup with the Matchless and AC30 with dual IRs, and have honestly been blown away...gorgeous & full with chime for days. Never been happier with my toned its the closest I've come to nailing the sound in my head! Just hope they keep adding models because I'd love to see a Chieftain in the mix as that's always been my dream amp!

The-Kid, NHBluesMan and Jim Marciano like this.
  6. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

My main guitar is a Carvin Bolt with an H22T bridge pickup and I mainly use a Quilter Tone Block 201 or Overdrive 200 as a clean platform amp. I use an Emma ReezaFRATzitz as my main distortion pedal. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to emulate but I like it. I also use a JHS Sweet Tea, so that's my main Marshall in a box tone. I also place a TS9/JHS Bonsai with the gain set low before these pedals, or just use the Moonshine side of the Sweet Tea for the same basic result.

Mngwa and Jim Marciano like this.
  7. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Kingsley Constable Plexi and a Kingsley Maiden BF into the loop returns of a two rock and a Lonestar classic. It’s not like a Blackface and a Plexi, it is.

WWW, trap, Jim Marciano and 1 other person like this.
  8. WillLane

WillLane Member

I bought a Tech 21 Liverpool in case the AC30 goes down. I never really got a chance to use it, but it did sound quite close all things considered. Now I have a baby helix integrated into my board, so it would be infinitely easier to switch to the internal amp sims than to hook up the Liverpool.

However, the Liverpool makes a dynamite bass DI. Just boost the sub-bass post recording.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  9. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

For various gain levels of "amp in a box", I now use a PettyDrive v2 into a Pettyjohn Gold mk2. PettyDrive is edge of breakup or pushed Vox grit. Then both sides on for a more Fender Deluxe med-gain hybrid. Gold is MIAB all the way. I set it for med-gain with a Timmy in front for even more gain but not too much. Then a Ram's Head Big Muff clone after the Gold (sounds more clear after it than before it) is my "infinite sustain" lead tone. These all go into a Supro Jupiter set totally clean and "neutral". I'm happy.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  10. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I use a Joyo American set completely clean when I have to play direct. Does a great job sounding like a Deluxe, Super or Bassman depending on how you set it. As far as "amp-in-a-box" distortion, I am using a JHS Angry Charlie and Boss Power Stack. The Power Stack is really good at getting anywhere between Plexi-ish breakup to JMP/800 overdrive. I find anything after 1:00 to be too compressed. The Angry Charlie sounds great with the gain cranked.

Another little amp in a box pedal I use and really enjoy is the Rowin Plexion that's on my mini board. It's a lot less Plexi and whole lot more 800. Really good sound for only $30.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when I do play with an amplifier, it's a Boss Katana 50 set to its clean channel. For some reason, The Boss Power Stack seems to work the best with the Boss amp. Go figure :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Jim Marciano likes this.
  11. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Today I am using:

Sunface 2N527
    DCW Klone
    Plumes
    Kinnatone modded RAT2

I stack two of the above together to get my tones. Various combinations. Usually Plumes/RAT, Klone/RAT, Sunface/RAT, and Klone/Plumes. The RAT and the Plumes do get played by themselves too. I also use the Sunface to get sparkly cleans by running it by itself and turning the volume down on my guitar. I also use the Klone for a warm clean sound by running it by itself and, again turning the volume down on my guitar.

I play all of that into the clean side of a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Snare227 and Jim Marciano like this.
  12. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

This. I needed a solution for late night headphone practice & recording, amp backup, straight to p.a. situations... It’s been so great. Maybe you are only discussing amp in a box pedals as a way to transform your current amp, but... If you need the stuff I mentioned, this is a winner. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Fr3shMak3r and Jim Marciano like this.
  13. estrago1

estrago1 Member

I use a Tech 21 Leeds for Hiwatt cleans (usually with my Strat, Tele, and SG), and I drive it with a BYOC Large Beaver, followed by a Boss BD-2, for a Gilmour "Animals"-esque sound.

On tne flip side, I have a Joyo California that I use for Mesa Boogie Mark cleans, which I then hit with a DOD Gunslinger for a nice, full crunch. I use this with my EBMM JP guitar, which has a push-push boost in the volume know that's perfect for kicking it up another notch for solo tones.

Both of those pedals are in one of the effects loops of my HX Stomp, where I run them through stereo cab sims for a beautifully full sound. I'll also add in some EQ and/or compression to tighten things up as need be. All of this then goes into my headphones so that I can play silently.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  14. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

I’m loving both the Golden Brownie and Radial London Bones for modern Marshall tones

Jim Marciano likes this.
  15. tawtaw

tawtaw Member

Benson pre amp

Jim Marciano likes this.
  16. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

For higher gain stuff, I’ve been using a Dirty Shirley into the clean channel of a Traynor Special Custom 50.

The gain channel on the Traynor sounds great but I don’t always feel like dealing with the 4 cable thing.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  17. monty

monty Member

Today I am using a 5150 into a clean Fender amp. It might not turn it into a legit 5150 amp, but it is damn close!

18. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Menatone Top Boost in a Can for Vox AC30
    Menatone KOTB v4 for Plexi/JCM 800 sounds
    Lovepedal HPTT for you guessed it
    BJFE Model H/ Tech 21 Leeds for Hiwatt sounds
    BJFE Honeybee for Supro sounds
    Lumpy's Tone Shop Lemon Drop for Vox 7&4 Series amps
    Barber Dirty Bomb for Mesa Rectifier sounds

Jim Marciano and LordThurisaz like this.
  19. El Phaco

El Phaco Member

When i was into clean amp with pedals for gain, i used a Guru's 1959 Double Decker. Closest thing to a real amp i tried (but i prefer the amp...).

20. chandra

chandra Member

American Sound and AC Tone. Very impressed with both.

Jim Marciano likes this.