• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

The video that ruined Billy Squire's career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetwalkinCheetah

It’s the Mandela Effect playing out before our eyes.
The show I saw them where I walked outside during their set they were the middle act, Slaughter was the opener and many people showed up to watch Slaughter who were big in that moment and then returned for Kiss. Obviously Winger had a moment in the sun, but like Slaughter they were basically a well connected band of solid studio/touring hard rock/hair band type guys that had a few big hits and then disappeared when that genre craze was over.

This was the Hot in the Shade tour so I was off a year as it was September 1990. Winger would not release another album until 1993 long after the audience for that music was gone.

27sauce

The show I saw them where I walked outside during their set they were the middle act, Slaughter was the opener and many people showed up to watch Slaughter who were big in that moment and then returned for Kiss. Obviously Winger had a moment in the sun, but like Slaughter they were basically a well connected band of solid studio/touring hard rock/hair band type guys that had a few big hits and then disappeared when that genre craze was over.

This was the Hot in the Shade tour so I was off a year as it was September 1990. Winger would not release another album until 1993 long after the audience for that music was gone.
Right. Winger had a huge 1991, had the been around 5 years earlier they might have progressed into a sell out arena band. There just wasn’t enough time for their success to translate.

Another group like that was Dokken. Their success/popularity happened in the abstract, rather than in real time. They never got to that point either, but everyone knows who they are and their songs.

rednoise

I always took the video as a terribly miscalculated parody of the style of "Flashdance", with the hair flipping and crawling around on the floor. I suspect it was supposed to be ironic or funny, but it missed the mark and fell flat.

whatizitman

You are right. It's still an issue.

This article is from September of 2019.
"But country radio devotees have long memories. And this is especially true in Chiang’s market, Houston, where George W. Bush spent his teen years. “After just four plays of the song, we had several complaints from listeners,” Chiang says. “They weren’t complaining about the song — they were complaining about the Dixie Chicks.”"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-swift-the-dixie-chicks-country-radio-881632/
Said (and says) way more about their "fans" than it did the Dixie Chicks. They spoke out against the Iraq War, and badmouthed Bush overseas. Wowwee. :rolleyes: Think about how ridiculous the reaction to that was, in light of what is now considered "normal" in the political arena.

I can't even believe this is still an issue. It's like news stopped in 2005.

27sauce

You are right. It's still an issue.

This article is from September of 2019.
"But country radio devotees have long memories. And this is especially true in Chiang’s market, Houston, where George W. Bush spent his teen years. “After just four plays of the song, we had several complaints from listeners,” Chiang says. “They weren’t complaining about the song — they were complaining about the Dixie Chicks.”"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-swift-the-dixie-chicks-country-radio-881632/
Country radio created the public opinion before it ever reached them. The comments were made and just as the news was spreading, country radio killed them. If that narrative continues for long enough, in their case a matter of weeks, it becomes fact. Like this video killing Billy Squier’s career.

Shows were cancelled before tickets went on sale. This was not the court of public opinion, this was outright censorship.

Last edited:

RayRay

Musicians need to stay in their lane when it comes to politics. I don't care to hear anyone's political views or protests. I want to hear your music. If I wanted to hear your political tirades, I'd watch you on a talk show or the like. If you have a concert or a YouTube channel devoted to music and you derail into politics, you're playing with fire, even if I agree with your points.

That's also why I don't do social media. I don't care what my favorite guitar players think about politics. I care what they think about music.

Musicians should take the TGP philosophy and just keep politics out. Again, stay in your lane.

As for the original post, I remember this and some of the "fallout" ... I never got it. It's no worse than a lot of the other stuff in the 80s. Sometimes luck just does not fall on our side.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Dixie=offensive
Chicks=offensive

more "men suck and here are our 2020 Lady Nazi outfits" shtick = offensive

27sauce

Musicians need to stay in their lane when it comes to politics. I don't care to hear anyone's political views or protests. I want to hear your music. If I wanted to hear your political tirades, I'd watch you on a talk show or the like. If you have a concert or a YouTube channel devoted to music and you derail into politics, you're playing with fire, even if I agree with your points.

That's also why I don't do social media. I don't care what my favorite guitar players think about politics. I care what they think about music.

Musicians should take the TGP philosophy and just keep politics out. Again, stay in your lane.

As for the original post, I remember this and some of the "fallout" ... I never got it. It's no worse than a lot of the other stuff in the 80s. Sometimes luck just does not fall on our side.
You realize TGP is social media, right?

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
He had a better career then probably anyone here slamming him! His music has lived on much longer then his career, and is still getting played decades later on a daily basis.
You can go back and watch any of that stuff from 30yrs ago and most of it is goofy today.
Yep, and Ringo Starr thought enough of him to add him to his All Star band for a couple tours. The guy wrote great songs and has massive success....the times changes and his music fell out of style much like most of his contemporaries from the mid/late 70's.

StreetwalkinCheetah

Country radio created the public opinion before it ever reached them. The comments were made and just as the news was spreading, country radio killed them. Yes f that narrative continues for long enough, in their case a matter of weeks, it becomes fact. Like this video killing Billy Squier’s career.

Shows were cancelled before tickets went on sale. This was not the court of public opinion, this was outright censorship.
100%

And the thing with the Dixie Chicks is they were moving in a poppier direction anyways. That Cumulus outright banned them from their stations for a period of time, which not only included country radio, but pop formats as well, meant that if they were moving to a more appreciative audience, or just folks that were against the war, they couldn't be exposed to those stations either. And I guarantee that they built a new audience with their stance, even if it wasn't the posters here.

While it was probably not the wisest career move a bunch of other artists were doing stuff the other direction so it doesn't seem right that only one side is afforded a voice. And history has proved that maybe we got into that conflict on false pretenses and if nothing else it has proved a long term economic drain on our country rather than the quick in and out it surgical operation it was billed as. Without producing a verdict on who was right, it never sat well with me.

John Hurtt

And how does this bear any resemblance to what “happened to” Billy Squier?

Was his entire catalog taken of rotation all over the country days after the video was released? Were his concerts canceled before tickets ever went on sale?
Nope, he toured the world and the album went platinum. Rock Me Tonite was his highest charging single ever.

27sauce

Nope, he toured the world and the album went platinum. Rock Me Tonite was his highest charging single ever.
To be fair, the album was platinum before the video was released, but yeah. He wasn’t taken off the airwaves. It may have cemented the lack of play for future albums, though. The next one bombed. Blame the video or the ****** album? Tough call. We know what Billy blames.

John Hurtt

To be fair, the album was platinum before the video was released, but yeah. He wasn’t taken off the airwaves. It may have cemented the lack of play for future albums, though. The next one bombed. Blame the video or the ****** album? Tough call. We know what Billy blames.
The video was released and first played in June of 1984. The album was released a month later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom