the voicing of the eternity.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by missing_dave, Feb 1, 2008.

1. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

not sure its for me?? love,love it as a pedal to solo with. and the RC after it..wow... its the best...but for chords i find it doesnt cut through? and is a little gritty(not sure if gritty the right word but..)?just not voiced how i like my chord stuff to be..maybe its not great for low gain? not good with my rig??

anybody else hearing this?

dont get me wrong its a killer pedal,design,dynamics etc..but for solo stuff only for me..

(using a strat with fralin 54's, super reverb)

just looking for opinions on this area of the E as i havent read much about this specific topic..was wondering if its just me??

2. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

its best at single note solos. for chords id use a distortion pedal

3. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I'm having the same results as you and i'm not really a lead player so i'm constantly struggling to decide whether or not to keep it. I wouldn't say it doesn't cut through, I just like other pedals better for rhythm. It just sounds so good I haven't been able to part with it.

4. woude

woude Member

I've come to love it for rhythm, even more so than my timmy when I use it with the bridge humbucker in my HSS type stratocaster on the clean channel of my koch. I haven't heard a distortion or overdrive come close to the hugeness of that sound, so far. My settings are; 'everything at 11:00', It doesn't sound gritty at all to me... compared to tubescreamers it's just more defined & sharp (which is not better to me, I need tubescreamers too).

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Oh god, here we go again.
    It MAY be true that the cricuit ius TS-like(I have no idea), but it sounds WAY different from any TS I've ever played.
    :munch

6. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

thanks all good input so far...ive read every E thread and was one thing i found and found to not be talked about that much (plus E threads unfortunately gets derailed pretty easily:jo) 25 pages..two worth reading. so my hopes are to really find if others have this query?

or how do you use it?

thanks everyone! any others?

7. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

According to a lot of TGPers, it seems that EVERY overdrive with SOME mids is a TS...in fact we should not say "overdrive" anymore", let's just say TUBE SCREAMER!!! :NUTS:crazy:crazy :Spank :bkw :munch

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

If you really care you can find the schematic online and see what it is.

To the OP, I think the E is a great low OD and that last one I had (Burst 05) was excellent for chords.

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have a Roadhouse E, and it has taken on all comers since I got it in '06. It does things others can't, I don't know how else to describe it. Then you hear it LOUD at full band volume and it seems even better.

I like it for chords, I like it for leads, gain at 9:00 or gain at 3:00. I like to keep the glass knob around 9:00 though. I must run my amps pretty bright or something because that glass knob will take your head off past 12:00-1:00.

As for it being a TS? It does have some mid content, but not like a tubescreamer and it doesn't suck out the bottom like some TS clones do.

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

OK... for the five billionth time.

If it is in fact a modified tube screamer, it sounds nothing like any tube screamer I've played (or currently own).

I have a BYOC 808 a Boss SD-1 (modded to sound like a Fulldrive) and have had Fulldrives (just a week or so ago) and the Eternity sounds significaly better. Less gritty, less compressed, less detached. But it still has the familure "overdrive pedal" sound. Which is what I want out of it.

Guys, even if it is based on a TS don't expect to get close to the Eternity tone with even a top notch TS. The people that think otherwise havn't gigged with one for 2 1/2 years (like me).

11. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

fair enough.....

but lets get back to the content of the thread?

lets talk sounds!!:BEER

12. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Yeah, I believe the Roadhouse has more pre-gain bass, if I remember correctly from the schematic.

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

Correction, apparently you can find a schematic online that someone CLAIMS is that of an Eternity, which one of the 12 E models it is ALLEGEDLY of is a guess and unreliable.

Unless Sean himself posts the schematic, the claim that schematic of the E can be found online is worthless because of these fundamental questions:

1) Is it of an E that came straight from Lovepedal and was reverse engineered ("re")?
    2) If not, who had it in their possession, custody and control prior to the re?
    3) What are the qualifications of the person (s) drawing the schematic?
    4) Who checked the schematic to ensure it was accurate?
    5) Was the schematic compared and contrasted to the ts to show "it is a tube screamer"?
    6) Was the E first modded/altered before the re?

I know people love to lap up the "it's a ts" tag (like Les Stroud in the desert when he finds a puddle of water), but geez, a little common sense before rank heresay is adopted as an amendment to the constitution would be nice.

I recall asking one of the purveyers of the "it's a ts" boondoggle to compare and contrast the 2 pedals...he/she refused to do so, said it would take too long. Geez, if you hadn't done it yet, how can you say "it's a ts"??!?

Uma, your genealogy thread originally had Barber and Zen Drive pedals on it. The Barber pedals were removed. You removed the Zen Drive after I pointed out, that in the thread you claimed the ZD had the "(boss) od-1 gene", but in a seperate thread, you claimed that "looking at the schematic" the ZD had "TS style", not od-1 genes.

14. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

hmm interesting as i notice its got some good low end but a weird almost "dip" in the mids where i now am seemingly liking a bit of(in the right spot) just doesnt seem to cut through? i wind up having to turn up the volume on it to get it sonically up to par with my other drives??

it looks as if its simple enough to understand "pre-gain bass" but would you care to expand on say the differences with pre and post to the sound of the circuit? thanks!

15. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Is yours the brown Roadhouse version?

Mine does not seem mid-scooped at all, which is what your post seems to be saying. In fact I think there might be an ever so slight mid hump, though nowhere near a TS. Where I set the volume depends on how clean the amp is. If the amp is very clean, I run the Eternity with the volume lower, but the dirtier the amp, the higher the volume on the pedal.

Play with that glass control too, because that pedal can definitely cut through.

I've been through about a million overdrives and the Eternity has really shown that it is a cut above. I liked it when I first got it, but I didn't add it to my live rig right away for some reason. New ODs scare me because, to me, they don't always sound as good live as I thought they did. However, when I finally used it live, I noticed that the Eternity sounds much better at high volume. No shrill icepick distortion, no muffled bass. Just right!

Sorry, I know I'm not helping...

16. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

DAVE..

GRAB A TL072ACN chip from mouser.com
    you will be amazed at how that circuit morphs into something else entirely..

a LM1458 is another chip that will do something else..

then you will have 3 completely different options.. like I have always said.. the key to the E is in the chip not the circuit.. :horse

17. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

no phil that was helpful (volume dirty,clean settings etc,) and yes there is a little "beef" and its more of a low mids thing....very awesome for solos for me...

magicboy...thanks for the suggestions...ive missed you saying that in the passed around here so thanks for that info.. you would know:AOK
    ill try those out for some other flavors.

18. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

19. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

20. drolling

drolling Member

Wise words from the mannish boy himself!

When Sean built mine in the summer of '05 (unlabeled 'burst model# @#$%^&75373??), he tossed in a TL072, which I almost threw out with the bubble wrap.

Glad I didn't. After running the E w/a number of different gits/amps, I swapped in the alternate chip.

Been there ever since. I know I'm not in the majority, but changing the op-amp MADE this pedal for me. And there're some archived threads here comparing a bunch of chips, including the real expensive (2 bucks?) BurrBrowns. For $5, you can have yourself quite a time!