The "Volume Box" being sold on ebay...anyone see these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bikerdude2, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I found it searching for a Carvin Legacy. Thoughts?

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

That's just sillyness. It's a master volume you put into the effects loop. It is not an attenuator.

3. punx0r 1337i57

punx0r 1337i57 Member

Yeah, and I've seen that same one marketed for Classic 30s, which already have a post dial on the preamp. :rolleyes:

4. dmg34

dmg34 Member

Thats awsome good idea. I'ts

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

wonder how it sounds?

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It's probably just a pot to ground and probably sounds as good as any volume controlling eff you'd stick in the loop. Effective but if you really turn it down, the tone craps out. I've never heard an amp that didn't do this. But for a few db down, it's probably fine.

jon

7. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Um...ok.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

That's exactly what it is. This guy is selling a load of crap, stating:"POWER SOAK/BRAKE/ATTENUATOR TONE & DYNAMICS CONTROL", none of which are true. Power Soaks, Marshall Power Brakes, and other attenuators are connected between the amps output and the speaker. This thing plugs into the effects loop of an amp which is usually between the preamp and power amp.

It's a radio shack box with a pot and a couple of jacks. I built one for a different reason, here is a page I did on my website about it if you want to build one.

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

Yes, it's a load of crap, don't bother

10. uberpict

uberpict Member

Get a good EQ pedal and it'll do the same thing. Or a volume pedal for some tremolo while soloing. Many amps have an effects send and receive level control so with a patch cable between the send and return it works the same way. :D Caveat Emptor

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

You are all correct about that box, it is not an attenuator and it does not let you drive the power tubes harder, and the guy is full of crap.

However, it does work well for some amps, allowing you to adjust the channel volumes individually then control the whole amp volume level from one pot. It also lets you drive a stage or two a little harder before you back the whole thing down at the fx loop. Many people do the same thing with a volume pedal. Some here once used a pedal that did this same thing but had a footswitch incorporated to bypass it, he used it as a lead boost. The box was built by James Peters I believe. The guy raved about it in a thread here.

So there is value to the idea, even if this guy is full of it.