The Vox AC30 was released in 1958-It's the benchmark.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by popinvasion, May 20, 2015.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

The Vox AC30 was released 57 years ago. It was a triumph of sound imo. You can do almost anything with a Vox especially with pedals and the Vox loves pedals. From the Beatles to Queen to STP and so many more. We chase chase chase after amps but I've noticed even the best boutique amp builders own old AC30's as their main amp. Like if you agree. The AC30 is a stunner.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I always thought that the AC30 came out in 1959, the AC15 was introduced in 1958.

either way, 1960 is kinda year zero for the AC30/6 with the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes. that's the model that has endured.

and yes! best amp ever made. would never be without one.

Black_Label and popinvasion like this.
  3. popinvasion

Well I see 58/59. Wikipedia says 58. I agree with your 1962 point.

wembleyisgreen likes this.
  4. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I just edited my post, seems the AC30/6 came out in 1960, according to the Vox showroom. I'd take that over wikipedia :D

good info here

5. popinvasion

It's all quite fuzzy :) at least designed in 58.

wembleyisgreen likes this.
  6. Roe

Roe Member

the first ac30s used a pair of el34s

7. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

My first "real" amp (bought used in 1969) was an AC30 TB/6. No idea what year. Brown grillcloth and grey/silver speakers.
    It sounded wonderful playing really LOUD with my '61 LP/SG Custom but it was a heavy bulky beast for a skinny hippie. It was also utterly reliable through years of abuse by my ignorant young self.

The amp cost me $220 and the Gibson cost $200..............

8. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

The only constants in my gear have been telecaster and AC30.

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I bought one of the 2007 Heritage Mahogany cabinet AC30s and it's an amazing amp. The cool thing about that amp is, they give you the EF86 AND 12AX7 top boost preamps to switch between, so you really have a lot of tonal options. Too, I think that mahogany cab has something to do with the tone, it's an incredible sound :love: It's an amp pretty much made for Fenders IMO.

geek-mo likes this.
  10. e???

e??? Member

I dunno... those wacky beatles preferred fender towards the end

lustycourtier likes this.
  11. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

My dream amp is a mint '64 Vox ac30tb. I had the chance to play one last year and it sounded absolutely beautiful.

12. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Here's my AC10 twin little brother of the AC30..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wagster likes this.
  13. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I just bought the head version (with cream tolex) and LOVE the sound of the EF86. Run the top boost through greenbacks in a closed back cabinet and it does a darn good Marshall impersonation as well. It's everything I need in an amp.

14. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

I'm a huge Vox fan too. I love my AC30C2. It's such a great sounding, versatile amp.

15. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I love my AC30; it's my in-studio daily driver. That said, it's kind of an outdated layout & circuit. There are modern alternatives that are smaller, lighter and simpler that can do the same thing with added features. I still wouldn't trade my AC30 tho!

16. Claytone

Claytone Member

I've owned and played British JMI-era AC30s and AC50s since the Beatles first landed in America (yes, that old...). I have had brown grilles, original tan levant tolex models, regretted models et al. At first they were exotic, smelled distinctive and sounded amazing, very loud, and were always heavy to drag around, up and down basement stairs, etc. Now they are less exotic as there are many iterations of the original design. They still sound great but are too loud for most situations, and they are still as heavy as ever. I finally sold my most recent '65 AC-30 a couple of years ago because I play mostly in clubs where it is simply too much amp for the room. But as the first person on this thread stated, the British JMI-era Voxes are one of the original great amps.

17. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Thats why I got an AC10 twin.. I mic it and it sounds amazing!! Not to heavy @ 30 lbs.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    alamere likes this.
  18. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

^I keep asking Santa for one of these...

19. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I feel equal parts shame, guilt, anger and futility for not buying and using an AC30 a long time ago. We've all got amp war stories and a 'trail' that led us through various makes and models but it really is ludicrous when I think of the time, money and effort I spent before doing the most obvious thing in the world in getting an AC30. Yes, it's a newer model. Yes, it's made in China. Don't care.

One day I may go the handwired route but for now I'm in twin Alnico Blue heaven. It loves pedals.

Weight be damned...I want one at home, at rehearsal space and a gigging unit. What's another $2k dropped?

20. humbucking

humbucking Member

1960 Was the first year of the AC30 twin as we know it with EL84's. The first version in early to mid-1960 had the EF86 pre-amp. Most certainly a cool amp that spawned the boutique craze of the 1990s to today. My 1960, 1961 & 1962.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]