The Vox Tonelab Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Porkchop Xpress, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Hello,

I don't know if there are any Tonelab users in here, but I have been messing around with mine again. I just bought a Presonus Firebox, so I am going to be recording some clips.
    Well, with the arrival of my new Presonus Firebox, I am finally able to record my Tonelab somewhat properly. Over the next few weeks I will be experimenting with patches and sounds, so I figured I should record some clips to see how they sound. The first set of clips will just be me messing around and experimenting, but I will try to get some actual songs and backing tracks together so we can hear how the Tonelab sits in the mix.
    The Presonus Firebox is giving me some great results compared to when I was plugging in direct. Here are a few clips recorded direct. Pay no attention to the playing, it is bad. This is the first time that I have actually heard the Tonelab in stereo and it sounds great. I only got about 40 minutes with it to make these clips and some of that time was spent setting it up and figuring out how to use MIDI to transfer patches. The patches I used were downloaded from a Tonelab site and I had never used them before. I am using a G&L Legacy into the TonelabSE and the Tonelab is plugged into the Firebox using the line in ports. The Firebox is connected to a Sony Vaio Laptop using firewire and that is it.
    I will put some better clips together using backing tracks so you can see how the tones sit in the mix and I will also try to put some high gain stuff together for the nonbelievers as well as some clips using the different effects.
    Here are the first few clips:
    Here is a clip of the Plexi Sim set to clean and using the Tonelab's compressor. Pretty nice for finger picking and strumming. Sorry about the ugly flubs in the playing!
    Clean Plexi Comp
    Here is a generic Marshally rock tone. I just downloaded two AC-DC patches that I will use later. They sound way better than this.
    Standard Rock Crunch
    These three are from a tremolo patch that someone put together.
    Trem1
    Trem2
    Trem3

2. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Here are more crappy, off the cuff clips:
    (The acoustic is not the Tonelab. It is my Taylor plugged direct to the Firebox)
    Acoustic Ambient Style Crap
    Some "Floyd Inspired" delay clips:
    Floydlike Delay 1
    Floydlike Delay 2
    Here is some oddball filter setting I was messing with and forgot I was recording. The expression pedal seemed to control the attack of the filter:
    Weird Filter Expression
    Sorry these suck. I am currently working on a Cyberjam, so I didn't concentrate on these clips too much. More to come.

3. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

4. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Yeah, the Tonelab gives up some amazing clean tones. I like it for the Classic Rock type distortion, but I don't play enough extremely high gain stuff to worry about the super heavy settings.

5. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

So, I guess there isn't much interest for this, huh?

6. jockman

jockman Member

Doesn't seem to be, which is a pity really. I have been considering the SE version for sometime, but have only had a chance to try it in the shop, I would love to try one for live work. My interest in it is for the cleans to overdrive sounds, I don't need hi-gain. And I would love to hear it in front of an amp and not via the loop or recorded.

7. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

One of these days I'm going to buy one from MF, so I can take advantage of the 45-day return policy if need be, but I'm going to try the Boss GT-8 as well.

I'm interested in a unit that can handle my FX only on a day-to-day basis and handle the whole kit and kaboodle on those occasions when I'm forced to go direct.

My concerns with the Tonelab are the distortions and the flexibility (or lack thereof) of the FX.

8. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

The clips are recorded using the SE version. I love having the pedals to switch sounds on the fly. I have not had good results from running the TLSE in front of my Mesa Boogie amps, so I haven't really tweaked it out for that. I have heard many times over that it sounds incredible in front of the Tech 21 Power Engine 60 and the Atomic 112.

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

They are intriguing and I hear good things about them but I don't have any seat time with one.

jc

10. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Does anyone have any requests for tones that I can try for?

11. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Believe it or not, if you can pull of newer EVH, you just might get me to pull the trigger on the SE. My absolute favorite sound of his was off the Live Without A Net DVD. In particular, There's Only One Way To Rock.

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've used a Tonelab for practice (and even some recording) for a couple of years now. My main amps are a Germino, Victoria, Dr Z and an old Fender so you can see I'm not really into high gain tones. I like that the Tonelab's controls react very much like those on the real amps, and the effects work well too. The best thing about the Tonelab is it's the only modeler I've tried that gets the feel right, especially on the light overdrive sounds I use most of the time.

13. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Do you have a small clip? I haven't listened to EVH in years, so I don'ty know the exact sound you are looking for. If I can get a sample, I can see if I can tweak out a patch for you.

14. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

That is exactly why I love it. It gets that ampy vibe that every other modeller I have ever used seems to miss. It is also the only stand alone that I have used that I can play through for hours and get no ear fatigue.

15. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Took a while... Hear it is.

16. jockman

jockman Member

I am now the proud owner of a Tonelab SE, I think its a great pedal, very versatile. I have only had it for 5 days, very easy to use.

17. WonderDude

WonderDude Member

I really love the clean tones on the TLSE! But in the store using head phones, I felt the TL seemed somewhat handycapped when trying to come up with a good smooth distortion sound. I dont' know, maybe I'm just weird.

What do you guys think?

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Personally, I'd love to hear here from anyone that has actually gigged with one. (SE).

I really liked my Digitech RP-7 (it's not in the same league as the Tonelab, but it is still damned nice sounding) but absolutely could not use it for gigging/band practice, as the saved patches were cryptic (A-109, etc.) and no real knobs so, hard to change on the fly (I know the Tonelab has some knobs at least), and the volume levels between patches were really difficiult to get normalized. Would jump from one level to another. And this is something that at bedroom (programming) levels sounded exactly alike to me, at band levels suddenly one is really loud the other too soft.
    I have yet to see a ME that addressed this problem (I'm thinking a "Master volume" that you could set and it would adjust patches to those levels. If you went that route, may as well have "Rythm" and "solo" master levels).

Just curious. I have been toying with the idea of getting one for years now, and bought boutique pedals that I ended up not liking, NEAR the cost of one (kick myself afterwards).

Also, how do they hold up after time? The Rocker pedal, etc.?

19. WonderDude

WonderDude Member

20. ToneChimera

ToneChimera Member

Anyone have an inkling that an upgraded Tonelab unit is near?

A few inprovements would make this ME.

TC