The Wailing - South Korean film

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pfflam, Dec 8, 2016.

1. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

OK, let's hear it: what is on your mind about this film?

Its a jarring intense immersive spirit assault of a film, and thought provoking, so what do you think?

2. dead of night

dead of night Member

3. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle Silver Supporting Member

Sending to my daughter who is studying Korea at Uni.

4. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

It's streaming on Netflix.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  5. RLD

RLD Member

I've seen it...didn't live up to the hype, IMO.

6. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I think this is a masterpiece of metaphysical horror, a strange genre bending film that literally has kept me haunted since I watched it four days ago.

I am too tired to talk about it with justice at the moment, but I do want to talk about some of the strange but effective things this film does, like the way in which it uses comedy and its anti-hero in order to alienate the identifications most films re-inforce in order to create a deeper sense of menace.

among other things . . . .

Soon though . . . sleepy tired . . . .

Trevordog and A-Bone like this.
  7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I still need to see it.

8. aman74

aman74 Member

On the list!

9. soulohio

soulohio Member

the red shoes

A-Bone likes this.
  10. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

The Korean one or the Powell classic? Both creepy in their own ways.
    Some other good Korean horrors were:
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    The Host

A-Bone likes this.
  11. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

Just saw it last night. NA has only made three films, and each one is fantastic. I first saw "The Chaser" a few years ago, and was blown away. Then I saw "Yellow Sea", same thing.
    "The Wailing" was 156 minutes long, yet it felt like the time went by in 30 minutes.
    Some of these Korean directors worked under DUK, whose philosophy of film is, "You must never let the viewers eyes leave the screen for a second".

I read on the IMDB that Na changed the original ending, which was more straightforward, to a perplexing one that would leave the viewer in confusion.
    During the climax, you didn't know who was evil and who was good, or if the actions the main character was taking were right or wrong.
    On second viewing, all the comedy of the 'anti-hero' (a common lead character in all of Na's work) didn't seem funny at all this time- desperation would be a better word...
    I found myself yelling at him when he interrupted the Shaman's ritual, but seconds later, I thought maybe he was right.

Na seemed to be playing with the themes of faith and doubt throughout the film.

I don't want to write any spoilers, so I won't get more specific, but like some of the other great Korean films like "Memories of Murder" this was just another example of why Korea has been the center of film for many years.

soulohio and A-Bone like this.
  12. Carlo

Carlo Member

I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it.
    I liked the mix of elements that included comedy, psychothriiler and horror but I won't say much here as it would be a spoiler.

13. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

They're having discussions about it on the IMDB that go on for four or five pages, and each message has about 1,000 words, although some people just say it's a POS that makes no fecking sense.
    It had a meta-critic rating of 84, and universal acclaim- no mixed reviews.

14. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

Looks like it will:

Keep you on a constant nail chewing edge

Be a bone chilling thunderous decent into hell

Nightmarish unnevrvingly real

and I bet it never lets up

:eek::eek::eek:

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Park Chan Wook, Kim Ki Duk, Bong Joon Ho, Lee Chang Dong, and their ilk really have produced a pretty astounding body of work. Even now after the Hallyu-wood period is effectively over, there is still fascinating, provocative, and compelling work coming from South Korea. One of the more interesting things I've read on South Korean cinema is how, in a sense, due to their comparative film production consolidation and late entry into international filmmaking distribution, they might be the last national cinema movement we see given the current climate of transnationalism. This might also explain why South Korea has remained something of a big deal in terms of its national cinema in the art cinema world for as long as they have (which is substantially longer than the typical art house embrace of national cinemas such as Taiwan, Iran, and others that preceded the turn to the Hallyu).

soulohio and Trevordog like this.
  16. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Just finished it......WTF? It was tense and menacing but non-sensical. Either the cultural gap is to wide, I just missed something in translation or I'm a peasant.

Not wonderfully bizarre like 2001 A Space Oddesy more of a linear story that changed everything around and added plot elements, characters, explanations etc. in the last 10 minutes that made no sense and really corrupted what could have been a much more satisfying experience......IMHO :dunno

17. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

This is not a film that I understood completely on first viewing; especially the ending. The director used a lot of elements of Korean folklore, even Nepal folklore, and Christian themes that are essential to understanding the film.

Reportedly, Na had an original ending that made things much clearer, but he decided to change it, because he wanted to make it more open to individual interpretation.
    There are plenty of explanations online if you search "The Wailing spoilers", but they all come down to which of the four main characters you thought were good, evil, semi-good, or semi-evil, and when they got that way.

Wolfboy1 and A-Bone like this.
  18. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

^^^ I did exactly that and also found out about the ending he didn't use. There seem to be a couple of different view points exactly along the lines you mention but no real consensus. The first ending (not used) kind of clarified the character positions but still a LOT of questions are unanswered. I read one that really tied everything to the specific manga series the main cop was reading in one of the earlier station scenes. In the long run it all comes down to personal interpretation but identifying when some one is good vs when they turn evil is quite important.

One thing that still doesn't fit is the whole priest and the cave.....how did he know to go there and do what he did?

Trevordog likes this.
  19. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

There are two theories about that:
    1) He saw a light at the Japanese man's house the first time he went there, and that turned out to be the cave.

2) The priest (Deacon) was in the hospital, and was having a dream/hallucination. How else could you explain him being able to make the long drive and then walking up the mountain to the cave?
    The dream/hallucination had to do with the opening quote from the New Testament, Luke: (?).
    The devil was saying the same thing Jesus said to his disciples; "Touch my hands and my feet; I am not a ghost, etc..."
    He then hallucinates the stigmata in the devil's hand.

Wolfboy1 likes this.