The wait is over -- new amp! (Port City content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ARch, May 26, 2008.

1. ARch

ARch Member

After a couple of months of searching and a few weeks of waiting, my amp and cab are finally here. My wife and I are expecting our first child, so I was looking for a lower wattage head/cab setup to replace both my Fender Twin and Mesa Mark III.

I worked with Joe at South of the River Guitars in Austin, TX and he suggested Port City Amps. After speaking with Daniel at Port City who offered one of a kind service, and receiving more help and suggestions from Joe who was also excellent, I ended up with this (click for big):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a Port City Twelve, 12-watt 6v6 head and a Port City 1x12OS cab. Joe dropped in a Mojo BV-25M speaker in it for that old Greenback sound.

First off, the head is exactly what I was looking for. The Tone and Volume controls are very interactive so there's a big range of tone to be head out of this head. It's exactly what I was looking for coming from the slightly sterile sound of my Twin -- rich tone at all volume levels. It loves my pedals as well - from BoR and OCD to the previously on-the-shelf Fulldrive 2. The second input has a 3dB volume cut to give it more clean headroom, even though the first input isn't lacking any headroom for me. Aesthetically, Daniel has done a great job with these, too. I asked for the cane grill cloth, but all the rest is Daniel's. Great construction and quality -- from the brushed aluminum knobs to the solid tolex work.

The cab is a beast on it's own. If you haven't read about Daniel's innovation on the inside, head over to Port City Amps and read about it! It's super lightweight and beautifully constructed. I can't really even describe the tone coming from this guy -- so full and powerful. Stealing a sentiment from Joe, it's got that "4x12 midrange growl"; It's a big cab sound in a much smaller package. Combined with the speaker, it's got great separation and clarity which was an unexpected surprise for me. Great tight bass also, which picks up almost all of the "flub" from the Box of Rock. Even with the mojo still in the break-in period it handled the Bass sim setting on my POG like a champ without bottoming out like the Twin's Jensens would.

There's a thousand words. Here are some more worthwhile artsy-fartsy pics (click for big):

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

Congratulations on the upcoming birth and the amp. I never really changed my equipment when my son was born and now that he's nearly 25 he plays too. Obviously the usual cautions apply but so glad to see someone not stop playing because a child was born. A lot of guys did/do and I don't get stopping your avocation...you don't stop your job, your friends usually....keep on playin'!

3. ARch

ARch Member

Thanks -- I hope in 25 years, I'm in the same boat! If it comes to selling my gear, of course I will if needed, but I've been blessed so far to be able to continue playing.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

I love that brand!
    Port City is very underrated on here. Their Cabs are amazing.

Best, Pete.

5. ARch

ARch Member

Shameless bump for pictures!

6. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations on fatherhood and the Port City 12 + cab. I have experience with all 3. Depending on the day, I prefer one or the other!

I had and (stupidly) sold a Port City 12 combo. Great, great amp, but I needed something else at the time. Now, I've got to say, while that setup is going to be quieter than a Twin, it is going to be loud enough to wake the baby (and your neighbors). Hope you get to crank it up.

I am currently running a Goodsell Super 17 thru a 1x12 wave cabinet, and boy is that a combination. And you are right about Dan Klein. He is top shelf. Months ago, I called him to talk about buying a Wave cab and, based on my description of what I wanted, he actually talked me out of it back then.

Cheers!! Rock the cradle!!

7. ARch

ARch Member

Yes, it is actually much louder than I expected. I jumped right into high wattage tube amps straight out of the solid state days, so I wasn't sure where I'd need to be when I went lower wattage. That said, I get mucho tone even at 8-9 on the volume dial (meaning around 3 clicks from off), which is more than I can say for the Twin at 1-1.5 :D!

Playing some more this afternoon and evening, I just can't get over the sound stage this amp/cab has. Each repeat of the delay is in its own space -- nothing muddy or lost in the middle. I really didn't know what I was missing before!

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Single 6V6 then? Or two of them?
    Effects loop?

Looks KILLER!

9. ARch

ARch Member

Two 6v6, two 12ax7. No effects loop. Two inputs, and single volume and tone knobs :D

Quite a change from the Mesa, but I love it. The Tone seems to have more effect on the midrange than anything, so it's always a pleasant mix of treble/bass instead of having 50% unusable positions.

10. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

ARch is exactly right. One thing I'd add is that the 6v6's run in single-ended parallel (like, for example, a Fargen Mini Plex, the 6v6 side of a Divided by13 9/15, and some vintage Valcos and Gibsons). This lowers the total output to 12 watts, rather than the 20 or so you'd expect to get running a pair of 6v6's in push-pull. The effect is to up harmonic content and richness. And as I recall, this amp is EQ'd a lot better than some single ended circuits I've heard.

Hope that helps.

11. ARch

ARch Member

Also, I forgot to mention that I asked Dan how he selected the jewel for each amp since there are many different ones pictured on the site. He answered that it just depends on which looks best with the customer's tolex/grill choices -- and I have to agree the orange looks great with the vintage/custom vibe my setup has. He's got some unique color combos on the site, too, so it's nice to know he's thinking about it.

12. SouthoftheRiver

SouthoftheRiver Member

Ah, nothing warms my heart like a happy customer ;)

Thanks for the props bud.

13. juice

juice Member

Congrats on the amp and the upcoming addition. I have the pleasure of owning the same setup, but with the smaller 112 cab loaded with a Greenback.

Here is my beauty:

[​IMG]

14. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

nice amp... i bet it sounds killer too

15. OliverGuitars

OliverGuitars Member

I have one too. My boss may buy it from me for his lap steel, but I agree 100%.

Daniel always keeps me coming back for more gear. I am about to buy my second Port City Pedal, and my third Port City Head and cab.