The Weber 1230-55hz speaker is the BEST SPEAKER EVER ...IT KILLS EVERYTHING!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RichSZ, Jul 1, 2005.

1. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Sorry 'bout that....I was laughing out loud as I was writing it.

Seriously though, I just received my Weber 1230-55 which I think is a version of the Greenback with the 55Hz cone and maybe a predecessor to the Scumback speaker of similar specs (??).

Anyway, this speaker is very, very nice. It's very smooth, breaks up perfectly, and covers the spectrum of sounds that I really dig.

BTW, I am using it in a 1x12 combo with a bastard version of an 18 watt Marshall (Trem channel only on this one).

I've also played my /13 FTR 37 thru it and I've come to the conclusion this is one awesome speaker!

-Rich

2. ZX-Matt

ZX-Matt Member

3. davebc

davebc Member

Weber has sure been offering up a lot of fine products these days.

4. rooster

rooster Member

That's the one I put in my amps. They work amazingly well at getting that old late 60s sound.

rooster.

5. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I have one in a Germino 2x12, the other speaker is a reissue greenback that's a few years old. The weber is darker and much smoother in the top end. It's also not as loud/effecient. They compliment each other nicely. My past experience with Weber speakers is they take a while to break in, so I hope I'll even like it more as the new-ness wears off.

6. tybone

tybone Member

Scumbag is right when he says the 55hz cone is really nice for strats.

7. peacock72

peacock72 Guest

Awesome speakers! I have a 75 and a 55 in my Bluesbreaker RI. Almost sold the BB, couldn't stand the Greenbacks when the amp was fully cranked. :dude

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

Any speaker that is similar to a G12H-30 is a winner in my book, G12Hs are definitely my favorite and I'm surprised more cabs don't come with them.

9. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

I agree that the Celestion G12H30's are excellent speakers for rock. Clear yet with a nice creamy tone. Works great with my Superdrive 30.

10. jockman

jockman Member

fzfwyv,

what did you have in the combo before? does the new speaker have a better disspersion, I ask, because I am seriously considering one of these for my 1x12 20W Park combo, How would you rate it against the celestion G12H?

Jon

11. el34power

el34power Member

How would you compare the 75 to the greenbacks. I have a Blue dog and was thinking of getting a silver bell but now the 1230 is bugging me. I have a 4x12 with 2 greenbacks and 2 red fangs. I really like the greenback "honk"

12. peacock72

peacock72 Guest

I also really liked the "honk" of Greenbacks, but it isn't there with the C1230's. Mine still aren't completely broken in, so there's still some harshness in the highs, but the tight low end really makes up for the lack of midrange honk. They are really balanced sounding low to high, and have this immediate crunch and attack, whereas the Greenbacks had a softer attack and mushier breakup. Can't comment on the 75 and 55 individually, this is just the impression I get from the two together.

13. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

I have two Superdrive 30 1x12 combos, original PTP version. The Budda speaker sounds similar to a Vintage 30. To my ears I do not like that sound.... way too much midrange. Great if you are Slash playing nothing but lead runs all night. I like a balanced speaker, I can always dial up more midrange but it is impossible to take it out when your speaker is designed like this. I just bought a Celestion Sidewinder based on the rave reviews from John "Dutch" Boehnlein's "The High Performance Marshall Handbook. This speaker seemed okay but didn't perform like he said. I have a Mojave 2x12 with the Celestion G12H30's and loaned in to Ronnie Belaire in the Shreds for a recent gig. Big difference with everybody agreeing. He was using Eminance. I have a Hughes and Kettner 2x12 with Greenbacks and they sound great in this cab. I wouldn't use Greenbacks with an open back. So, with a combo you definately want a balanced speaker with good bass response. I'm going to pull the G12H30's from the Mojave and install them in my Budda. My search is over.

14. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I have one of those in my THD 2x12 cab. It is absolutely the most versatile, best sounding speaker I have ever used. It's a G12H-30 clone, I believe. Sparkly cleans, nice middy overdrives, smooth lead tones. Great overall speaker.

15. hipfan

hipfan Member

I have a pair of the 75 hz. Scumback H30 models (Weber recones, actually - not offered anymore) in a Cage open-back 2x12, and a duplicate pair in a Demeter closed-back 2x12. I run my DST U34-CL through them. Unbelievably good tone. I use primarily P90's and a beefy Tele, so the 75 hz. work really well for me. I bet the 55 hz. models sound great with Strat-styles though.

I think my days of speaker testing are over - happily. :)

16. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

Man, you guys are killing me. I'm waiting for my scumback 12M 55 and 75s to go into my mojo 4x12.

Ugh.. Waiting is no fun.