The White Album - which is your favourite side?

Favourite side

• Side 1

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Side 2

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Side 3

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Side 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

drewl

me and my monkey say side 3.

The disjointed three Beatle (none being Ringo) overdubbed drumming of USSR always bugs me.

Badtone

Silver Supporting Member
I can see where if you weren't around at the time (i.e. young) The Beatles are just another band, a famous one to be sure, but historic. For those of us who were aware back in Feb 1964 and saw their US TV debut on Ed Sullivan we remember what an game changing event that was. It's hard to explain. Within a couple of months of that appearance The Beatles had the top 5 songs in the Billboard chart, a remarkable achievement. Add to that to how they subsequently changed and grew along with the sixties ethos and you have the stuff of legend, a legend which they earned IMHO. OK, enough rambling, just my .02

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
Side 1 and then Side 2.

Martha My Dear, is an amazing song to listen to. Way ahead of its time.

greeny

I voted 2, but quite honestly I could have gone for any of the first three. Some people don’t like the frivolity of the Piggies to Why don’t we... section but I love this section so it’s probably why side two just edges it.

Dasein

I voted 2, but quite honestly I could have gone for any of the first three. Some people don’t like the frivolity of the Piggies to Why don’t we... section but I love this section so it’s probably why side two just edges it.
In the article I posted above, one of the points I made was how, through repeated listens, the songs and song order settles into the unconscious - and how songs that seemed strange or out of place become essential elements the the whole album as a narrative experience. I offered several alternative narrative threads to follow the songs through the album for those that just needed a jump start.. but I gotta say -- I love the whole album - more today than ever before -- and the new remixed version is bloody amazing -- like simply awesome - especially the deluxe boxed set. Just mind blowing to hear and listen too all those alternate takes and rehearsals...

Jay Will

So if you don’t care for them and don’t have an opinion, why’d you bother clicking the link into this thread? We’re not going to sleep better now that we know you don’t care for them. o_O

Very well said. That they wrote so much in so little time really amazes me when I think about it. And they covered so many styles and created a couple more on top of that.

Very little of the music I write overtly sounds like the Beatles, but their presence is always there in the little things. Usually subconsciously.

Looking over the track list it’s a tough call between side 1 and side 3. Both are outstanding.
Mostly because I wanted too.

Kennybeeinfl

i'd go with side 1 were it not for oh-blah and wild honey pie, but if it's all inclusive , it'll have to be side 3.
Same for me. Dear Prudence clinches it for me. In my opinion Lennon dominates the White Album. Even Bungalow Bill is more enjoyable for me than most of Paul's tunes on that record.

Trending Topics