• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The White Album...

spakuloid

I think it is the masterpiece. In it contain the seeds of every form of pop/rock music that defined the next 50 years. What say you?

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
The sides were so long that the dynamic range was rather compressed on vinyl. It was a revelation to hear it on CD.

EricPeterson

It has its moments :)

I am a huge Beatles fan, the White Album is quite great, however, to call it a masterpiece, I think it would have been better suited to have been tightened up and trimmed down to one album of stellar material. As it is, it is no doubt great, but I think it falls a bit short of a master piece.

I think the Beatles did make several masterpieces though, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, and Revolver all fit that bill.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member

I am a huge Beatles fan, the White Album is quite great, however, to call it a masterpiece, I think it would have been better suited to have been tightened up and trimmed down to one album of stellar material. As it is, it is no doubt great, but I think it falls a bit short of a master piece.

I think the Beatles did make several masterpieces though, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, and Revolver all fit that bill.
Agreed!

DWB1960

To me it sounds a lot like a Lennon solo album and a McCartney solo album conjoined with the usual Harrison songs added in. It's so obvious that Lennon and McCartney were not collaborating like they'd done in the past (and would do again on Abbey Road).

mrbungel

Well well well.
If you were around back then,
it was a masterpiece.
Never thought about John or Paul singularly
when it came out.
George and Ringo were involved too
(oh really?)

It was the Beatles,
it was close to perfect.
Ground breaking.
I could not have expected more in those days.

Stop whining and let us hear your
"White Album"

DWB1960

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Copying my post from recent thread on same subject:

Not that anybody cares, but here's my personal sorting of songs on the White Album:

Great:
USSR
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Blackbird
Julia
Helter Skelter
Revolution 1

Good:
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
I Will
Birthday
Everybody's Got Something to Hide
Long, Long

Don't Dig:
Obla Di
Wild Honey Pie
Bungalow Bill
Martha My Dear
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Sexy Sadie
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
Good Night

mrbungel

I LOVE The White Album. But John hated Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and Paul wasn't very fond of stuff like Revolution #9 and Happiness is a Warm Gun.

And the discourse in the studio during those sessions is a fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album)#Division_and_discord_in_the_studio

But the album still contains some of my fave all time Beatles tracks.
Some of my faves too.
So, John and Paul were going their own ways.
Not a surprise.
After all the great songs and harmonies,
and tours and fame and wealth and girls,
it was the way it was.

We can talk about it forever,
doesn't change anything about the Beatles and their songs.
As they said, all those years ago,
"It's like being married, love, hate,
good times, bad times."

Most of us can relate to that.

mrbungel

In my heart and soul,
ALL Beatles albums are masterpieces.

Cymbaline

It's not an out-and-out masterpiece like Sgt. Pepper or Abbey Road, but it's the weird little quirks that make it so endearing. I love it. I even like Revolution 9.

spakuloid

For me personally - not a bad track on the album. What people call filler I actually have grown to enjoy. Still hearing things in there after all these years. Love it all. No filler for me.

mrbungel

Thank you for that link. Reading down a little further, they give McCartney's opinion - "It's great. It sold. It's the bloody Beatles White Album. Shut up."

Ha!
Yep.
Paul thinks he is god.
I love Paul, but after all these years,
he has become a loose canon.

Ringo too.

HUGE egos.

They are both in their 70's,
old men now.

Didn't get enough fame or money or sex?
What the f**k ?

I'll berate them and defend them,
but they have so many smarmy answers for everything.

Geeee,
wouldn't it be cool if John and George were still here?
Put Paul in his place, and all that?

Still,
doesn't change a thing.
The music is timeless.

My opinion,
there is NO filler on any Beatles album.
Thanks spakuloid.

FWBubbs

I agree. I'd also add Rubber Soul and A Hard Day's Night (Parlophone release) to the list of masterpieces.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom