"The Whizzer" - Why not available?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hucklebee, Jan 19, 2008.

1. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

So I just got done reading an old tonequest article with Larry Cragg. In the article, he talks in detail about the whizzer and how it gets closer to true tone than diming your amp and using the volume control on your guitar.

So why hasn't any amp manufacturer marketed this technology? I mean, short of a "reachin' stick", or a tech on your amp with semaphore flags, your next best bet is the volume on your guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love that method, but I have always been intrigued about the Whizzer.

Any thoughts?

2. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

There are at least two commercial amplifiers with midi control over volume pots as well as other controls. Sorry cannot recall the names offhand...

3. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy Senior Member

Zinky Superfly and H&K Switchblade

4. KazJY

KazJY Member

5. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

Direct from Larry

For his cleanest hottest signal, we have a loop bypass that makes his reverb unit go straight into the amplifier, a four input 1959 tweed Fender Deluxe. On top of the amp is a Whizzer, a device that physically turns the amp's knobs. Neil came up with the idea, and Sal Trentino, his amp tech, made the first one. This was a 2 position Whizzer that he used starting on Rust never Sleeps in 1978. The new one was made by Rick Davis in 1991. Its got four presets that completely control the three knobs on the top of the amp. He locks in the preset he wants, and it will always go back to that particular spot. We find that when you have the volume and tone all the way up, by turning that second volume knob up to about 10, it starts to fade away.But right before it starts to fade away, something else happens, and that has to be in exactly the right position. You can't breathe on it, or it ****s it all up.