The WHO Declares Compulsive Video Gaming A Mental Disorder

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AZChilicat, Jun 18, 2018.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Better is probably an unnecessarily contentious way to frame it. Maybe suggest instead that there is game art every bit as expressive and meaningful as art from throughout human history.

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Ah, yep. that’s what I get for posting before I’ve finished my morning coffee. :D

A-Bone likes this.
  3. A-Bone

We've all been there.

4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

But only if you play the game.

5. A-Bone

Not necessarily. There are demos of games, as well as other materials made using game elements.

Serious Poo likes this.
  6. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Ha, their games really draw me in, too. I can easily go 7-8 hours in Skyrim or Fallout 4, if given a day with no responsibilities.

JWDubois likes this.
  7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not trying to judge you, but......hypothetically speaking...... what if you did that once a week for 5 years? That would be just over 2000 hours. That's a full time job for a year. And I have come across gamers to whom 8 hours once a week is nothing. What would come of it? Other than your own entertainment, how would it benefit you?

I feel almost guilty if I just spend 90 minutes watching a couple episodes of Star Trek while I eat dinner. I can't imagine how I would kick myself if I spent 8 hours playing a video game.

The comment reminds me of David Cassidy a few hours before he died....."So much wasted time."

8. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

9. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

:bow

At first I read this and thought I knew what you meant. Upon rereading I am not so sure. Can you clarify what you meant?

10. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Here, in just a couple of sentences is why gettin' old is a PITA.
    I've seen this thread for a week now. I've even read 50 or so of the replies yet...
    EVERY TIME I see the title I ask myself, "why the f-@k does The Who care if people play video games?"
    I gotta go yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

11. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

That means I got it just right and can let people read what they wanted to into that statement. ;)

What I was pointing out is where is the harm, why the outrage, over this being declared an actual condition? If it is, and it can be corrected through treatment, why would we not want to do that? I'm puzzled why anyone would not want someone in need of help to get it and hopefully return to being a productive citizen with a better quality of life.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    A-Bone likes this.
  12. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Ha!

Thanks for clarifying. I agree, although I do think there's a line between a person with a disorder and a person simply participating passionately in a benign activity that others think is a waste of time.

A-Bone and AZChilicat like this.
  13. Jisatsu

Jisatsu Member

How many musicians leave any kind of enduring "art"? Just curious. Seems weird to use something as subjective as "art" as a justification for one hobby over another.

14. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I don't believe doing things you enjoy constitutes wasted time. It's those things that improve my quality of life, whether it's listening to music, watching a film, playing my guitar, gaming, or just spending an entire day sitting in a boat trying to catch little green fish.

When I look back at my life, the things I consider wasted time were overworking myself to get things I didn't need, dealing with drama in relationships, and worrying needlessly about things I was powerless to change. Watching a few hours of Star Trek would be better for me than any of that. ;)

soundchaser59 likes this.