The "whole package artist"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SigXer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. SigXer

SigXer Member

So I got home late from work and was eating dinner at around nine o'clock tonight and I decided to turn on the TV and see what was on. American Idol happened to be on so I bit. I was disgusted by one of the comments made by a judge. When describing one of the contestants, she said, "You're what we refer to as a whole package artist..." and then proceeded to say that this contestant has the right look, a unique sound that fits with current pop trends, and could be "very marketable" with the right song. Is that what music has come to? No one cares about artistic depth or phenomenal talent, they just want a soulless droid that can sell. That makes me sick.

2. Drifting

Drifting Member

I agree.

It is pathetic.

Basically, the market is, 'Got tits? Can you sing at least mediocre? cool."

At least for mainstream.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

Implants here I come!

GAD

4. Drifting

Drifting Member

:rotflmao
    Should have rephrased that :D

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

What's the problem?

You're somehow shocked that there's more to being successful in the ENTERTAINMENT industry than just being able to play your instrument, or sing, well?

6. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Haha, agreed. It's sad but it's the world we live in. I think I know who you're speaking of btw, and though her performance was horrific I refrained from changing channels because, well, she has the "whole package" :crazyguy

7. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

I said the exact same thing to my wife while the judge was saying that. WTF? If she had said something like "Wow, you sure are a great singer, plus you've got a great look, etc." that would be one thing, but the way she said it, it was clear that ANY amount of singing ability didn't even enter into her thoughts.

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Is this a new thing? Were you surprised by this in some way? All of you make it sound as though this sad state of affairs is a recent development. Please. The music industry has not been primarily about musical talent for many years.

However, one guy on the show this year does have talent in spades...Adam Lambert. I HATE Satisfaction, but that guy turned it into something cool. He can flat out blow.

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Wait a minute.......just rethought this thread.

You're pining for artistic integrity while watching AMERICAN-friggin IDOL?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You. Mirror. Look.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

Try as they might, American Idol has not kept me from both earning a living as a musician or enjoying many non-mainstream forms of music as a listener.

Really - it's not that hard. Just shut off the TV....

11. SigXer

SigXer Member

I thought I made this clear, I was looking for something to watch while eating dinner and unwinding. I'm not really into the pop music scene and I don't regularly watch the show. I knew American Idol is all about finding "whole package artists" but to hear it stated so blatantly was a bit surprising. They're not even trying to hide the fact that they don't care about finding quality artists, and apparently the American public doesn't care about it either because the show is hugely popular. It seems like the music industry used to at least claim that they were about finding and promoting real talent.

12. dets1

dets1 Member

reuben stoddard, jennifer hudson- i wouldn't put them up high on the "hottie" list which i guess is part of the whole package, but you can't convince me that they aren't loaded with talent.

13. Ken

Ken Member

It's about making Maximum Money...It is a Business and the Demographic they shoot for wants the "Whole Package Artist".

14. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Well look at her! Listen to her! She IS the whole package...it is obvious.

15. Cornbread

Cornbread Member

[​IMG]

edit: oops

I posted and then read the thread
    never mind

:Devil

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I was painfully OLD before I realized that "pop music" was not "popular MUSIC" in that sense but "POPULAR music"...that popular was more important than the music part, as in dancing, the look, the style, the attitudes, somewhere far down the line musical talent is there...
    but even that is sort of a generic musical talent, soulless...

It's the popular part.

But it is a little in everything too. I love blues; electric, acoustic, slide, fingerstyle, old style, country blues, Chicago blues, Texas blues, I love blues. I love the music...but I often run into folks that love the trappings...I would say way more than the actual music. They want the blues look, they want it to be a ritual, they want facts and dates about the "real" blues folk, etc. They miss a lot of the point, and create a sort of Disnyfied blues, with idyllic images of some old sharecropper on his front porch playing mournful slide....old blues guys were musicians. New ones too. They could play "Puttin' on the Ritz", they had radios...they heard other music...etc.

It's in every style of music, to some degree. I love Jimi's stuff, and he got tired of the "show" aspect (I loved him at Berkeley where he was subdued, but moving with the music) but he stands up with music first, but you had the headband, 'fro, hippy-clothes, stoner look, the style, the whole package also with him.

It's hard to seperate sometimes...

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

OK,if you haven't gotten it yet,the music industry hasn't been about talent,in a long time.There have been a lot of people who have 'had the look' and been marketed.American Idol-shows of that nature are a natural extention of the information age.I will not watch them I get no pleasure from failed auditions.I have never been famous,I am getting older,I have been a musician for 35 years until illness.I have days when I miss my skillset that I lost.There is one thing I still have a problem with,that these show have a great deal of-mediocrity.When I think about people like Segovia,Sills,Bream,Heifeitz,Pass,Martino,Mingus,Bird,Coltrane,etcetera-I tend to look at everything else as less than good.I tend to look at hours of practice and technical skill.Yes,you can call me a snob,absolutely.Just dont make me watch that junk.I get nothing from it.

18. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Well, it is the music BUSINESS.

I don't think the judge meant that "package artist" means she could succeed in spite of a lack of talent. The contestant did have a decent voice and a certain quirkiness.

The comment didn't bother me that much but it does seem that the emphasis on looks is greater today than 40 years ago. Take a look at the top Nashville artists of the 70's and compare their looks to today's top artists. A lot of greats like George Jones, Ronnie Milsap, Charlie Rich, Freddie Fender, etc., would have a hard time getting signed and pushed these days. You almost have to have supermodel looks in addition to being able to sing or play.

19. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

He's got a great range and a good look. But his voice doesn't match his look AT ALL, imo. It sounds like he's been singing musical theater all his life, not rock n' roll.

20. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Yes, a very annoying concept. So the Mamas and the Pappas would have never been signed nowadays because they don't have the total package? Probably, Janis Joplin also. However, either one of those singers would make every last AI contestant (and winner) look like total wussy posers.

AI is karaoke that's all.