The Wombtone MKII Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Agileguy_101, May 8, 2015.

1. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

Anybody else got theirs yet? I came home from work today to find mine waiting for me. I played it a while, and then I played my MKI for a while (kinda got lost in it haha) and I love the MKII. I'll come back later with a more fully formed opinion, but for now I'll leave you with a few thoughts:

MKII goes WAY slower than MKI. Just one of the many ways in which this pedal is even better at subtle stuff than the MKI. It also goes faster but that's not too important to me.

I still can't believe how good the volume control on the Wombtone (both models) is, even if you're not using it for ramping functions. It's great to either have a slight volume boost or (my personal favorite) have some drive kick in when you turn on the pedal. It's SO DAMN GOOD into my Plexi. And this is just at bedroom volumes, I can't wait to try it out at thunderous volumes.

2 stage is excellent sounding. It's nice and subtle with the depth and feedback backed down, but you can get it pretty noticeable by bringing one or the other (or both) up.

Mix control is amazing for taming the more wild tones in this thing. You can take a really out there tone like a fast 6 stage sawtooth and back the mix off like 5-10% to tame the low end throb, or a little further to make your dry signal stand out more. I mean, it's a mix control, you know what it does - but I can't even say enough about great it is on this pedal.

The depth knob seems to have been tweaked in its sweep. I can't say for sure until I compare my MKI and MKII side by side, but it seemed like with the depth around 10 o clock in the 4 stage mode, I was able to get far closer to a Phase 90 type tone than with the MKI. Most noticeably, I was able to dial out most of the massive low end without having to back off the mix. I'm very happy about this.

One of Joel's awesome small touches - I love how he uses rubber feet on his pedals that are low profile enough to keep on without interfering with your velcro. I don't know why everybody doesn't do this.

I love this pedal. Honestly it's without a doubt my favorite non-multi fx modulation pedal ever. Just so many amazing options in this pedal that will never leave you lacking creatively.

2. augur

augur Member

Nice review! I totally agree with you as I could compare Mk1 & Mk2 too!

3. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

I'm a long time WV mki user and its essential for me. Not going anywhere. On Wednesday night me and the other guitarist in mY band went to try some pedals. He was looking to fill that one final spot on his board with something trippy and mental and after trying a few other things briefly we ended up playing the Wombtone mkii for nearly an hour. Its gorgeous. So much in it. My favorite thing however is square-to-tri slow phase. No ramping. Just awesomeness.
    Anyway he bought it and yeah, finished his board off with a bang. Remarkable pedal.

4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I'm super tempted to buy a Wombtone 2. I have a MXR '74 Phase 90 custom shop reissue. Really like it, but if the W2 can get that same lush flavor, plus all the extra stuff it could do...

5. chaseblissaudio

chaseblissaudio Gold Supporting Member

this thread makes me super happy. It kind of feels like wombtone sometimes gets lost in the shadow of warped vinyl.

Agileguy_101, I love your description of the mix knob... it wasn't too long after I released wombtone mkI that I regretted not having a mix knob. For all the control on mkI, it can be difficult to dial in subtle phase tones (especially with absence of 2 stage) - it's good at doing crazy, psychedelic but I feel like it can be tough to do subtle. It's also nice to do full on phase vibrato. I particularly like square wave modushape settings there.

6. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

Yeah I feel like the WV gets more attention than the Wombtone, which is a shame because I love it so much. I want to play it for a few more hours (and especially compare it to the MK1 before I sell it) before I post any more impressions about it, but I'm pretty damned sure that this is one of those pedals I'll never sell.
    Congrats Joel, you absolutely killed it. And to anyone who is considering one, just buy it. You won't regret it.

7. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

I primarily like the Small Stone stuff, so I use a Whetstone. Can the Wombtone get close to the Small Stone?

8. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

From what I can tell, this has the capability to do a good to great facsimile of basically any phaser. It really has every feature you could ever want, and some (read: a ton) more that you didn't even know you could want.