The worlds cutest amp head switcher

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by torquil, Dec 16, 2009.

1. torquil

torquil Member

I have built what I believe is probably the worlds cutest amp head switcher.

The enclosure is a 30 year old lunch box... It switches between two heads on the same speaker cabinet, keeping the unused head connected to an 8ohm dummy load. I use permanent 220ohm 10W resistors across each jack coming from the amp head speaker outputs. This secures the amp against running with no load on the OT. The unit sits on top of the amps and is of course footswitchable.

It is a bit messy inside at the moment, but that will hopefully change as time goes by. I haven't yet secured the two relays to the box, so they are kind of floating around on the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shane Sanders

Shane Sanders Supporting Member

That's awesome. I love kitschy stuff. If you put the guts in a Munsters lunchbox or something like that, you could probably sell 'em. :)

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

sweet! Now all it needs is a Turkey Sandwich!

4. The Kid

The Kid Member

No wonder I couldn't find that shoe...

5. bynt

bynt Member

That's the coolest thing EVER!

6. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Would have been MUCH cuter if you used a real puppy, as opposed to a box with just a picture of one.

7. Steve73

Steve73 Member

That's true, but if the OP is saying the inside of this one is a mess at the moment, a real puppy would be infinitely messier and harder to wire......

Nice job on the switcher! Start selling them!

8. torquil

torquil Member

It fits perfectly with my home-made attenuator:

[​IMG]

Appreciate the replies, folks. But not the comment about using a real dog as an enclosure! You should know that a real dog does not provide adequate electrical shielding! ;)

Anyway, I could image teaching a dog to switch between heads, but somehow I don't think it would be able to switch as quickly as my lunch box! A monkey would do a bit better, though.

Torquil Sørensen
    Norway

9. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Cool stuff! Im a fan of putting circuits in tins and things. Here's a Mosfet Booster I did once:
    [​IMG]

10. torquil

torquil Member

Nice!