• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The worse thing about relics

JP~)

I talk about them by stating that I don't get them and if you do that's fine.

'Understand' them? Dude, to me the entire premise is so utterly beyond skullfarked. That hasn't changed in 20 years, it's not going to ever change. I'll never get the attraction of a guitar that is aged like a Hollywood prop. But I also think Geddy Lee is the worst vocalist I've ever heard and he has sold bazillions of records.

Like I keep saying, if it sells guitars for the music industry, it's certainly making a lot of customers happy. But it will not stop you from being angry.
I think I finally get why this thread is so bizarre to me....I've never bought a guitar based on the way it looks, and I've never let looks get between me and a good guitar. I've never bought an instrument that I haven't played first and really liked....also, i've never pulled one off the wall that didn't first have features that i was interested in (p/u configuration, body/top materials, fingerboard material...etc) and that I didn't first feel the neck of to see if I liked it.

I can however understand that some would buy an instrument off the internet w/o playing it first because it was a make/model/year that they wanted and it had a figured top and gloss finish that they liked....I guess the difference is, I wouldn't go into their thread and hate on it even if I don't 'get it'.

in the end, I have 2 relics, 2 non relics and 1 vintage electric and this thread hasn't influenced me one way or the other. Since they are all different, I just grab the one that is either right for the playing situation or the one I just feel like playing...sometimes it's a relic...sometimes it isn't, but that's just ones man's opinion I guess

chrisjw5

Skeptical Geddy Lee is.... skeptical.

I like relics and I like new guitars. What I like about relics is that I tend to fret less (punny!) about that 'first ding', which used to kill me when I played PRS. Of course, I like broken-in jeans as well. If I can't find them in the store, I wash-and-dry them 8-10 times first before I wear them.

Different strokes, guys.

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the clothes a lot of you prefer.... but they look good on you.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Hence why I like Nitro finishes. I will be self-relicing my axe (otherwise known as playing the paint right off of it), and by the time I go to sell it, I can seriously undershoot the new relic prices and still make decent coin on it.

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
What I've always liked about patentcad is that he never forgets that his extremely strong opinions are ... only his opinions. I can handle someone whose opinions are extreme, as long as they don't pretend like they're facts, and patentcad never does. Good man.

JWDubois

I don't mind relics. Since a lot of relics look really fake to me, I can appreciate a good relic job for what it is.

I don't care why people own them or sell them, unless someone is trying to pass off a relic as a beat up by actual use guitar. That ain't right.

Personally if I wanted to own a beat up looking guitar I would buy an actually beat by by use guitar rather than a relic, but that's just me.

JWW

uburoibob

Treehugger, once it’s a guitar...
I don't mind relics. Since a lot of relics look really fake to me, I can appreciate a good relic job for what it is.

I don't care why people own them or sell them, unless someone is trying to pass off a relic as a beat up by actual use guitar. That ain't right.

Personally if I wanted to own a beat up looking guitar I would buy an actually beat by by use guitar rather than a relic, but that's just me.

JWW
So far, knock on wood, I've never run into someone trying to pass off a relic as vintage. So, in spite of discrepancies over like/dislike (and the entertaining arguments that folks use to try and persuade others that their opinions are correct), we have a pretty darned good group of folks on TGP.

Bob

People's need to complain about them.
Anyone's need to complain about relic'd guitars is a flat out nimrod. I'm sorry, but it's true.

If it was the best sounding relic'd guitar in the world, there'd be nose in the air knucklehead saying 'I wouldn't give you 10 bucks for it'...it's not AUTHENTIC.

The continued debate about this baffles me.

How the fook does it SOUND and PLAY? Somehow this gets lost in the noise...

R

Turk124

I bought a used one because I knew right away it was the best Strat I had ever played. I would have been an idiot to let it get away.

phoenix 7

I don't understand the never-ending controversy either. I like shiny, new guitars. I like authentic-looking, reliced guitars. I own and appreciate both.

If somebody doesn't 'get' why anyone would like either, that's just it -- they don't get it.

It's a bit like a guy posting "I don't know why anyone would like blondes. I only like brunettes. I don't get it." It signifies only a limitation in the poster's taste, understanding or experience.

Horribly-done relics that look like they were dragged behind a truck or belt-sanded to death are another story. That's where even I get a little judgmental.

Last edited:

straycat113

Tele's and Strats will always hold the top spots in my heart like they did as a kid but I hated the relic finish from the start, which is why I do not own one. But I get it is just a finish and a lot of guys dig that finish which is why they have been popular so long.But after seeing that Burnt finished relic maybe they have exhausted all ideas in the Fender CS, as I would really love to see who shells out 6K for one of those.

phoenix 7

PS: I can understand not liking the principle of relics. But hating the look of a really well-done relic is like hating the look of a real 50's Tele, Strat or Les Paul.

Trending Topics