The Worst OD Pedal Ever?

bad monkey...when I first got it all I had were solid state amps...and epiphone PICKUPS in my epiphones LOL
sounded like aRse

in a box it went...years later deluxe reverb hot rod deluxe pevaey classic 30...seymour duncans in all my epiphones...so i tried it again...sounded worse...tried even harder to tweak it...

sold it...

davimre

Overdrives I’ve sold and didn’t like (that may be controversial):

KoT
Archer
Maxon OD-808
Keeley D&M Drive
EQD Grey Channel
Strymon Deco

ndparse89

Nothing has been more disappointing in my guitar playing journey than to plug into my first TS9 Tube Screamer, to discover that it wasn’t going to make me sound like Stevie Ray Vaughan. I’ve played worse dirt pedals. But nothing continues to disappoint like a Tube Screamer.
You must not have played it into a Fender Twin and Dumble SSS set at instant-hearing-damage volumes.

TJ Read

Nothing has been more disappointing in my guitar playing journey than to plug into my first TS9 Tube Screamer, to discover that it wasn’t going to make me sound like Stevie Ray Vaughan. I’ve played worse dirt pedals. But nothing continues to disappoint like a Tube Screamer.
It is my understanding that Stevie turned the drive down and the output level up on his ts9 and used it more as a volume boost than as a drive.

Doppe1ganger

/thread

Attachments

• A3369ACD-D8AD-4855-884D-FC5EF0D4A1F9.jpeg
    A3369ACD-D8AD-4855-884D-FC5EF0D4A1F9.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 9

cowbellfever

Ibanez TM 5 Thrash Metal - making guitar drive noises with your mouth would sounds better. Worst pedal purchase ever.

Meanwhile Kurt Cobain legit knocked Michael Jackson off the number one spot with stomp on a DS-1! Just sayin!
Kurt Cobain got some great tones out of some odd gear choices. Beat up / modded Jazzmasters, pawn shop gear, etc. I read he went straight in to Crown power amp with his guitar. Only he could do that and sound good!

DS-1 never worked for me. Had too much of a grainy texture through my Deluxe Reverb I owned at the time. That is probably the problem though. Not a good match with a clean Fender.

Moral of the story: Certain pieces work well together. Too bad we all don’t have unlimited funds and time to play trial and error!

Friedman Small box for me. NOTHING like any of the reviews. Sounded like hot garbage with my rig....
Tried it also and didn’t like it. I’m a sucker for anything Marshall in a Stompbox and have a huge list of all I’ve tried. Unfortunately none of the Friedman stuff worked for me.

ZVEX Box of Rock also. Was hoping to love that one too! I may try the Double Rock.

HAO Rust Driver was my first to try and get rid of lol.

The best for me is OriginEffects RevivalDrive!!

(PettyJohn GOLD MKII and J Rockett 45 are really good also)

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Kurt Cobain got some great tones out of some odd gear choices. Beat up / modded Jazzmasters, pawn shop gear, etc. I read he went straight in to Crown power amp with his guitar. Only he could do that and sound good!

DS-1 never worked for me. Had too much of a grainy texture through my Deluxe Reverb I owned at the time. That is probably the problem though. Not a good match with a clean Fender.

Moral of the story: Certain pieces work well together. Too bad we all don’t have unlimited funds and time to play trial and error!
True, but bleach was recorded with a twin reverb and a ds-1 and I use a ds-1 with a silverface champ all the time, but depends on the tone you’re after.

Timbeaux

Tried it also and didn’t like it. I’m a sucker for anything Marshall in a Stompbox and have a huge list of all I’ve tried. Unfortunately none of the Friedman stuff worked for me.

ZVEX Box of Rock also. Was hoping to love that one too! I may try the Double Rock.

HAO Rust Driver was my first to try and get rid of lol.

The best for me is OriginEffects RevivalDrive!!

(PettyJohn GOLD MKII and J Rockett 45 are really good also)
My experiences mirror yours! The J Rockett Animal was also really good...

My experiences mirror yours! The J Rockett Animal was also really good...
I really like J Rockett pedals! I had the Tour series Animal and it is REALLY good. It seems like it emphasized the lower mids a little more than Majestic or 45 Caliber. It is pegged as a ‘68 Plexi but I think it excelled at later 70’s and 80’s rock. I liked the Majestic and 45 Caliber just slightly better so I sold the Animal.

Top Bottom