The Yamaha Variax Standard Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Prosvetlen, May 4, 2015.

1. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Please, post your information, reviews, experiences, etc. regarding the Yamaha Variax Standard Guitar under this thread. Thank you.

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Have they been released yet? Very curious to hear how they compare to the JTVs. Not crazy about the looks, but I'm hoping I can actually find one locally to play berfore I buy (no JTVs stocked anywhere in Portland, from what I've been able to tell).

3. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

They should be out already. You make some of the points I'm interested about as well.

4. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I think they are quite decent looking actually, though I'd like to have seen a passive humbucker in the bridge instead of a single coil, but I rarely if ever use the passive pickups so really not a big deal... I have owned all the JTV body styles and still own an 89F... I'm highly likely to pickup a Standard as a backup.

5. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Why did you pick the 89 over the others? I like the look of the 59 (especially the headstock), but seems like they can be fairly heavy and I'd kind of like a trem.

6. Mincer

Mincer Member

I tried a few from a row of them at NAMM, but they were badly set up (not at all). I think they were there more for looks and they ran out of time to do pretty setups. To be fair, the early Firehawk software sounded terrible too, even with the demo guy. I look forward to playing a production VS though.

7. johnnyelgato

johnnyelgato Member

I'm excited to get my hands on one as well, tried a jtv at GC, but it needed a setup badly. I'll get mine around June hopefully and will chime in then- better late then never !

8. journo

journo Member

My experience as well. The show guitars must have come in the last hour before the show opened. What's really surprising is that they didn't pull all of the guitars down the first evening to correct that for the second show day.

I really like the Yamaha Pacifica line and have owned several and still own one. I use it on gigs where I don't want to drag my #1. Very comfortable guitar.

So as soon as I can get my hand on a well set up production model I will put it through its paces.

Cheers,

Mats N

Lucidology likes this.
  9. 3dognate

I started with the JTV-69, Looks really cool... mine had a terrible factory fret job, and took a lot of work on an Earlewine Neck jig to get right. and I had major tuning stability issues with the trem. A new nut and new Wilkinson locking bridge posts took care of that. The guitar ended up playing really well and sounded great... I don't care for where the Alt Tuning knob is located. This was about 7.5 lbs

Then moved to the JTV-59... there are no craftsmanship or hardware issues with this one... mine was amazingly solid guitar... but as my personal history would dictate... I just do not get along with 24.75" scale length guitars very well I'm so stuck on 25.5" scale length. it was about 8.5lbs

Then swtiched to the JTV-89F after doing a setup on one for a friend. Man these are NICE guitars... killer necks, wide and not too thin... love the neck profile... the factory fretwork is outstanding. The Graphtech Floyd Rose works perfectly. It's a pretty guitar too. and light at only 7 lbs.

10. phel21

phel21 Member

Yamaha has always had healthy focus on QC and usability. I hope some of that has rubbed off on the people doing the variax designs. The JTV59 I owned for about a year spent most of its time in a workshop or waiting for parts. I had it available for maybe 3 weeks total in that year. The model-selector-knob and the rest of the variax-circuitry was simply too unreliable for any practical use.

11. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

When I read stuff like that my heart sinks. We all need reliable instruments that have a proper factory setup--what's the point buying them otherwise? Thanks.

12. 3dognate

My 69 was a very early (perhaps first batch even) the other JTV models I've had have been near perfect in setup and playability.

(I'll add that I am a qualified luthier so I might be a smidgen more picky about setup details than most...)

FlyingsCool likes this.
  13. benadrian

benadrian Member

Take this with a grain of salt due to who signs my paycheck, but I personally enjoy playing the Variax Standard more than any of the JTV models. It just feels better to me ergonomically.

As for the 59 v 69 v 89, I hate to say it, but I think I enjoy the feel of the 89 best. I am not a metal guy, and I really do not like the look of the guitar, but the wide and flat neck is just the most comfortable for all around playing for me.

Now, before anyone begins to combine my opinions from paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 above, the Variax Standard does not feel like the 89 at all. The Standard has what one might describe as a "normal strat neck". It's easy to play, not too thin, not too fat, not too wide, not too skinny. It's the goldilocks neck.

FlyingsCool likes this.
  14. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

You already have the Yamaha Variax Standard!? Well, come on, share more and more information here, we are all going to listen very carefully. "normal strat neck" is fine with me, I am a Strat person to begin with. Thanks.

15. benadrian

benadrian Member

See my sig file. I work for Line 6, but I'm hesitant to talk TOO much about L6 gear as 1. I'm not a salesman and don't want to be perceived as a biased pitchman, and 2. I'm not even sure how authorized I am to discuss certain things.

But yeah, we've had versions of these around the office for a number of months. I don't have one in my office, but I get to play it when I'm in other areas of the building. It feels like a nice Pacifica that also has the Variax guts. It has the 6 screw, vintage style vibrato. My pal who works in the QA/testing department is holding on to his main test unit. He gave it a full setup and it's one of the best playing guitars in the sub $1000 category I can remember coming across in recent years.

My one complait is knob positioning. There are four knobs in a small area. It's kind of difficult to do pinky volume swells.

Cheers!

16. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

Ben, I know you are not a salesman and not trying to sell this, but I think you just convinced me to wait to try this out before I buy my next guitar, which I had narrowed down to two, but now, I have to try the standard out for sure. I appreciate your input in these threads along with you pal digital igloo :aok

17. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

What is your second choice?

18. 3dognate

I was wondering how the knob arrangement was in person as they indeed look a smidgen cramped up. I NEVER do pinky swells though.

19. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

I have two strats I am looking at.

One is a fender FSR american standard, it has a v shaped neck, compound radius fretboard, and Fat 50's .... Have not played one yet..

The other is the newer fender American standard with shawbucker in the bridge. I played one and it felt really good.

I have a fender deluxe , and I love this guitar, but it is not as sparkly as a regular strat due to the noiseless pickups, but they sound great on certain settings...

20. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

jerryratpack, thank you for the info. Now I have to look for those guitars mentioned by you.