The Z-Wreck Jr. is Coming!

...and a different power transformer (single tap vs multi-tap speed/comfort design), and a different, smaller output transformer (to accommodate the output impedance curve of two power tubes rather than one), and a different speaker (greenback ceramic vs gold alnico). The transformers and speakers are by far the most expensive part of the amp (next to the cabinet itself, which is exactly the same as the Z Wreck standard), a close second being the aluminum, welded chassis which is used on many of our amplifiers and we can purchase in a quantity that allows us to save cost on that end and make the amp less expensive on the consumer side.

The Z Wreck doesn't have a master volume, mind you. If you are mostly a clean amp sort of guy, this wouldnt bother you. But many players want to turn up the Z Wreck and get that dynamic overdrive at a manageable volume, without being yelled at by whoever, hence we outfitted the Z Wreck Jr. with a master volume.
Great reply, so thanks for that! I'm a couple hours south of Sweetwater and am planning on making a trip to go through the Z lineup with a particular eye on this amp.

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
Great reply, so thanks for that! I'm a couple hours south of Sweetwater and am planning on making a trip to go through the Z lineup with a particular eye on this amp.
They are sold out of their entire stock of Z Wreck Jrs. right now and we are working diligently to resupply. Maybe save your trip to the Summer and come see us at Gear Fest in June. We are expecting to have a few surprises in store for Gear Fest.

littlejohn

Now players get to choose between the Wreck Jr. and the Jetta, like them both. Never got to try a DB4, but soundbites sounded great.

BadAssBill

southofnash.com
Silver Supporting Member
Wrek vs. Wrek Jr:

Help me out. Just seems like the full powered Wrek with a 1/2 power switch would always be the better call. You could play the 15 watt version all day long, but if you needed the headroom, it would be there for the right gig. So, its more versatile. Sure you give up the "Speed vs/ Comfort" setting on the wreck. But something tells me that if I played the amp, I'd have an immediate preference on that setting and wouldn't mind a fixed version.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in the market for a lowered powered amp (including this amp). Sound guys are always telling me to turn down my 22 watt deluxe reverb. So, I know that the 15 watt wreck could go just about anywhere and be fine.

Maybe the difference is weight and price?
I have gigged with the Sr for about 5 years. I hear a lot of folks say it's too loud but that's not been my experience at all. If you want to get that OD from the amp, sure....you can't get that at small room levels. I play mostly country and with the amp on 2 I can get plenty of clean punch and use my pedals for OD at a very reasonable volume. It's just such a great amp.
Now, having said that...don't get me wrong....it can blow a room away. We got a little carried away one set and the drummer said afterwards he couldn't hear his drums over my amp. But...It's got a whole lot of punch and sweet chime in one amp. I recently had to sell mine for financial reasons, but as soon as things get turned around I'm buying another one. I like it that much.

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
Is the Wreck JR. similar to the DB4 or? Sorry if that was asked prior.
DB4 is a little darker overall than the Z Wreck Jr. The Z Wreck Jr. is slightly darker than the original Z Wreck. The DB4 is voiced with more low mid push, which you can dial in to taste with the rotary knob. And the DB4 does not have a master volume.

TropicBoy

I am super interested in the Wreck Jr. I babysitted a friend's Z-Wreck a couple of years ago and loved it... It was way too loud for my needs though (it had the Comfort switch, not the Half power one) so the Jr makes total sense.

Has anyone played a Jr yet? What striked me with the Z-Wreck was how dynamic it was, with the perfect amount of compression when pushed (it remained tight and punchy despite the fairly high amont of gain). In my experience, this is mostly linked to how the transformers are designed.

As such, i am really curious as to how the Jr behaves in terms of headroom, dynamics and compression given that, as i understand it, the transformers are different (similar to the ones used in the Carmen Ghia ?).

Schweet!! I am seriously considering selling some amps to get one of these (or a Down Brownie).

WE NEED CLIPS! WE NEED CLIPS! WE NEED CLIPS!

Tim
p.s. - we need clips
I may try and do some clips later, but I'm pretty much just a hack player, and dont have very good recording equipment

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I’m pretty interested in this amp. I’m torn between this and the Z-Lux.

can anyone compare or contrast?

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
How’s the headroom on the Z Wreck Jr.?

Is it similar to a tweed deluxe for example?

Trending Topics