The "Zagray!" goes from prototype to product

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by VacuumVoodoo, Jun 25, 2010.

1. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Those handles are perfect!!!

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Looks good Alex! Is that front "cage" panel actually going to be wood, or is that just the material appearance you used for the render?

I like having a center handle, but in this case it the dual side handles look cool, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. I also like the sun vent cutouts.

3. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Glad to see something "Unique" (of course;))

4. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Maple front in the rendition is one of few available textures provided by the freebee software I used. Probability is 95% for front & rear face in perforated steel sheet with holes in honeycomb pattern. These will be spot welded with the sides and roof and powder coated.

I have a test patch of powder coat that looks like hammered copper plate with old oil burned into it. Not a hammer lacquer, it's different. I tried to make a bit map from a macro photo of that patch but it didn't work out as texture in the SW and looked weird.

Test patch looks like this, it's 2" (51mm) high. In reality it has a shine and feel of something from early days of the industrial revolution. It is dry and clean but feels oily to touch, almost organic. The shine changes with viewing angle. Unfortunately you can't see it on the monitor screen...
    [​IMG]

5. brads

brads Supporting Member

It would probably be quite easy to fashion an arched handle that hooks under the dowels on either end, for those that need a centered top handle. Not permanent, of course, just something you keep in your case for when you need it.

6. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

REALLY wish i could make it to the nashville show, so i could hear this in person and meet you Alex :bow

7. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Trust me, you don't need to hear it to own it, it is a no brainer!!!:love:

8. Bruce Clement

Bruce Clement Gold Supporting Member

+1

BTW, I think I read once that the 7581 is a 7591 with 6L6 pinout. But they are not currently being produced.

9. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Glad you like it, guys.

7581 is a ruggedized version of 6L6GC and is far form 7591:

* 7581 can be used in any circuit designed for 6L6GC or GB but there are some circuits (luckily not audio) designed for 7581 that will not perform to specs with a 6L6GC in the socket. These would be some servo amps and voltage regulators which made use of 7581 tubes stable DC operation at 0V bias. That's the only difference between 7581 and 6L6GC.

* The most important difference between 7581 and 7591 besides different pin-outs and electrical parameters is the fact that 7591 is a prime number while 7581 is NOT. That's where the real mojo comes from. You can quote me on this. It's mathematical truth. :crazyguy

That's a good idea, Brad. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. voojo

Alex, this will look great. No offense to wood, but I love metal. I think the honeycomb perf will look great. I'm a huge fan of old machines as you said the "industrial revolution" timeframe. I think that powdercoat will look great. It's really amazing what you can do with powdercoat. Of course if the colors were up to me it would be deep purple, a color I have been obsessed with since I was a child.

The color scheme you are proposing however will look killer on my dark purple guitar cabs. Looking forward to Zagray!

11. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

It's about time I answered some direct questions posted here on TGP and emailed or PM:d to me since the start of this topic:

I am transplanting fx loop circuit from the Tubewonder into the Zagray!. That circuit uses an opamp for fx-return amplification with switchable gain levels but power supply constraints in Zagray! leave no room for an opamp. It's a little tricky to get switchable recovery gain and wet/dry panning function with just one triode. Simulation says my modified circuit will do what I intend so I'll be testing it during coming week.
    Since my loops are always in the signal chain - you only kill the fx-return signal to defeat the loop - I need it to be transparent and neutral. I don't want the loop itself to affect the tone in any way i.e. fx loop service circuits should not be an effect by themselves.

Speakers/cabs used in development and testing:

212 Mesa with G12H closed back
    212 Tubewonder Private Jack + Red Fang, 1/4 open back
    212 Budda with Celestions Vintage 30
    112 closed back Private Jack , Red Fang, Cannabis Rex, Celestion Greenback
    412 no name china cab with G12-65

Not to forget, demos during NJ Amp Show were played through:

212 Scholtz with EVs graciously loaned by Barry Weber - thanks!
    212 with Emi Wizards loaned, likewise, by Andy Fuchs - this is becoming a tradition - thanks Andy!

The important thing is Zagray! was easy to dial in good match with the various cabs. "Bottom" high-pass filter was essential in tuning the low end.

"Gain" adjusts distortion threshold of two gain stages simultaneously while "Drive" sets crunch point of the final gain stage. No, the number of gain stages is not 3..

Yes, it was prototype #0 testing the concept. Still, Zagray! can be easily split and the preamp only put in a 2U rack enclosure with the same front panel layout and graphics.

If a metal enclosure per posted photo rendered designs is a deal braker then I suppose I could be persuaded to install the Zagray in a Tubwonder head cab as the chassis dimension of both are identical.

There's no room in the chassis or the cage for a reverb tank. One can obviously use a free standing unit in the fx loop which broadens your choices to digital, spring or tape echo/reverbarators. It's possible to design a small digital unit that could be plugged in directly into loop sockets. We'll see if a real need arises.

So, what's happening next?

Firstly: Nashville Amp Expo!
    - come and try this baby out! This time with fx loop! Bring your favorite effect!

12. 56_Special

56_Special Member

So what is it a clone of? j/k

13. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

You're kidding I hope!:rotflmao

14. voojo

I actually love the compactness of the metal enclosure, and the fact that it's metal. I've got enough wood in my guitar, my amp doesn't need any more!
    :D

15. tubeinmyhead

tubeinmyhead Member

I spent quite a bit of time with the Zagray! at the NY Amp Show.

It's an envelope stretcher not a clone of any sort. It's exceptionally flexible and you can tune in characters of quite a few different styles of amps, but that's what it's designed for, enabling the player to tune it to what he wants to hear.

I'm on the list to buy one myself. It's really worth the trouble to play the Zagray if you get the chance. It's flexibility and range of available tones will suprise you.

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I second that observation;>)

17. voojo

You guys do know you're not making the wait any easier!!

:boxer

:bonk

18. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Yes, I was joking!

19. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

I am very excited for this amp to be released - is there an estimate on street price?

20. voojo

Here is the info on pricing: