The Zendrive pedal, a must have.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jellobello45, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Yesterday was a craazy day for me. Alf H., who builds the zendrive pedal, was nice enough to have me come over his place yesterday to buy one of his pedals because I had stuff to do down in Miami and I figured it would be convinient to stop by his place on my way back up North.
    Well, I got directions from Mapquest. Oh man, what a moron I was for doing that! I ended up driving like 35 miles in the wrong direction in the blistering sun! Not to mention how long it took to get to his house from Miami. Anyways, Iwasonthe road for about 3 hours...with 1 meal inside of me from 8 hours earlier with no water.
    Anways, that really sucked and I almost just said screw it, I'm gonna go home. I am sooo happy I didn't!
    I fiiiiiinally get to his place, and he shows me all of his pedals. First of all, I was so impressed with the Zendrive, I offered him money right there. But he said put that away man. He really wanted me to see what his stuff was all about.
    I honestly can't say that I've ever met such nice of a guy in my whole life. After about an hour of him just conversing with me, I completely forgot about my horrible day. This guy is the real deal, totally down to earth, humble, and way more than willing to be as helpful as possible.
    I don't know if he would mad if I said this because I'm sure this was just cause when I got out of the car, I looked like I have been walking in the Sahari Desert for 3 years. But the dude gave me dinner too!!!
    Anways, I don't want to sound like a spam or anything, it was just too good of an experience to not share.
    Thanks again Scott Lerner for telling me about him, besides everything I just said, I got to walk away with a KILLER distortion pedal. I played a gig last night and as soon as I got there, I took my Analogman Maxon SD-9 off my board and replaced it with the zendrive.
    Peace

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Alf and I spent about 45 min on the phone yesterday, on his dime. I recently bought both the Zendrive and Mosferatu and am considering selling all my other pedals. This stuff is incredible. And yes, Alf IS da man!! I'm going to gig today with these pedals and a Bruno UG30. If my stage sound is 1/10 what it is at home, I'm gonna be a very happy camper :D

jon

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Just one more reason to own that great pedal. I love mine. It's a perfect fit for the Aiken Sabre. I'd say it's one of the best buys currently on the market, of course, IMHO. :)

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've got a Mosferatu M2 and love it. Are the Zendrive tones totally unique and not covered by the range of the Mosferatu? From the clips on Alf's site you would think so, but different players and styles can sound totally different through the same equipment.

5. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

the zendrive, is THE BEST O.D. period. and alf, is a great guy!
    aldo...

6. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

The Zendrive is an incredible buy. Not to mention that Alf is to humble for his own good. As stated above. He is a dear friend of mine. You would be hard pressed to find a kinder soul. Well actually Paul C is one too. The nicest 2 guys Ive known in the business. Alfs client list has so many big time pickers its not funny. My point being again, that he is too humble to drop names, even if he has their consent to do so. He loves making us gear addicts happy. One last thing I'll say about Alf. Hes not a bad player either.
    Thanks for the wonderful pedals Mi Amigo!

O

7. scottl

scottl Member

:dude

Precisely why I recommend Alf!

You are welcome by the way Gavi...

Scott (one of Alf's little time pickers)

8. guitarman_1

Scott. You are in a league of your own my friend. I would love to have
    1/10th your chops. Your phrasing always leaves my speechless.
    Impecable Feel and touch too. If your a little guitar picker, im a micro organism guitar player.

O

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Moved to the pedal section

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

Where can I find Alf's website?

11. guitarman_1

Just type in hermidaudio.com

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

Sweet... I found it.... I'm tellin ya, I have some nice toys but damn, I feel outdated...

13. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

14. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

As good as the Zendrive is....and it's amazing! The Zendrive 2 is blowing me away!!!!!

One of my favorite pictures:

[​IMG]

Left to right:

John Spears..... Monster Effects

Larry Rodgers..... Custom Amp builder

me

Alf...... :cool:

We were watching Bob Sweet and his band play.....

[​IMG]

I'm the Pimp in the middle...

:D

[​IMG]
    Larry...Alf...me...John...Bob

15. guitarman_1

Yeah. Its a killer . We are very lucky to have access to the Zendrive 2.
    I love it, but still use the original for lighter gain, The 2 is just in a different league tonally. Alf always tells me he is lucky to have friends such as yourself. The clips you do and the ones Scott L does are awesome, I like your sound clips section.

O

16. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Two years wait, I gave up

Then one day, an email, "it's ready, do you still want it?" I was down on money
    $250 was a bit.
    I didn't hesitate.

It really is a different creature from the original.

I love it.

17. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i think either the Zendrive or Dual Boost will be my next pedal buy. Right now I'm using an old Rat, a Fulldrive 2 (pre mosfet) and a Hartman Germanium fuzz for dirt, so I was thinking that the dual clean boost makes more sense as an addition. But I don't love the Fulldrive for serious OD so I might throw the Zendrive in there

18. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

love alf and the tone of his pedals.

kicking a zendrive on with a slightly overdriven tone is like going from slim jim to salami
    it can sharpen a sloppy tone, it can thicken a dry tone.

if you need more squishy headroom go zen 2
    if you need more sharpening go distortion
    if you just want 2 added levels of transparent boost and extra push to the touch of an overdriven tone you already have go dual boost

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Seven years ago the Zendrive was the pedal to own. Today it still has the same impact when people play one for the first time. Lots of piggyback "Zen" pedals since it's debut but, given the famously kind builder and his dedication to no compromise building, I still think it's the pedal to own.

20. N_O_VATER220

N_O_VATER220 Member

great pedal, ive had two, but through my rig and for my needs the tim/timmy is the golden boy