• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thelonious Monk is an underrated genius

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
2017 is the Centennial of Monk. His music will outlive us all.
I find his music to be remarkably accessible, beautiful, playful, and his playing shows an absolute mastery of rhythm.
Underrated he is not; however, I think he is wrongly considered by many to be avant-gard. His music is VERY accessible, and has deep roots in American music.

Tim Bowen

A fave of mine:

" 'Round Midnight" has been recorded by more artists than any other jazz standard actually composed by a jazz musician. I love the following Nelson Riddle arrangement; the strings intro and outro are the stuff of goosebumps.

changeling

Monk made the cover of Time magazine.
Not sure where the whole underrated thing comes from.
As previously stated thelonius sphere monk has been regarded as one of the most talented
composers of his time.
Strangely enough,he had to record an album of Ellington compositions early in his career
before some would concede that he actually had a legitimate voice on the instrument.
In retrospect,that fact only confirms that he was ahead of his time.

rich815

What makes you believe he's underrated? He's one of the most iconic and famous jazz musicians ever and is ultra-respected and known for his accomplishments and talent.

(Something)

Supporting Member
One of the most celebrated composers and musicians of the last century is somehow underrated? There are also a series of albums by him called "The Genius of Modern Music."

Last edited:

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Agree with the genius part. And it's a joy to listen to his music.

If jazz is underrated, then Monk is underrated along with it. That's the only way I could see saying he's underrated.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom