1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thelonius Monk Clip (Me Playing Piano Solo)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by DJLantz444, Aug 6, 2006.

1. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Hey, TGP. I've posted clips here before that haven't really got that much attention. I thought I might introduce myself this time. I've been playing piano for 10 years, I'm 15 years old, and here is me playing a Monk Classic (Reflections) on solo piano. I don't do any improvisation in this one, but I do my take on the melody/changes. Enjoy it!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=565374

2. ohw05

ohw05 Member

Great stuff man. 15? Keep it up, you definitely started young enough to be great and make us all jealous. keep posting! How is your improvisation?

3. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...that was great! I really enjoyed that...thanks.

4. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

My improvisation is good, but not so hot on Solo/Ballads. If I'm playing some bebop, standards or a blues with a band then my improv is going well, I think.

5. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

A lot of the time, Monk's improvisations and solos were a simple (seemingly) re-working of the melody...I know a few Monk tunes...maybe I should record a little medly for kicks...

6. BugSlayer

BugSlayer Gold Supporting Member

DJLantz444, Keep it up! I couldn't even say Thelonius Monk when I was 15! I did play a mean 'Satifaction' (everything dimed, run em all out of the house) but there is no comparison. You are doing what I wish today, I had done then. Keep your eye on the ball!

7. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Dude you obviously have the ears and that is a huge advantage at your age,
    run with it,,,,,,,,I played with Joey Calderozzo when he was 13 and he
    sounded like Mcoy Tyner I kind of laughed when he called passion dance,
    but after he completely tore the tune up chorus after chorus I was a believer......Good luck you with it , you got the skills..........

8. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...wow Sub-D...I really like what I've heard of Joey Calderozzo with Branford Marsalis...especially on the tune Elysium.

...I always thought Monk's tune, Jackie-ing, would make a great uptemo bluegrass tune...ala Tony Rice!

9. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Maybe I'll post some upbeat stuff in the future, but I don't have a band that comes within recording area regularly.

10. scottl

scottl Member

Great job Davey! I also really dug you guitar playing on the funk jam!!! You got some talent bro!