• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Theories on why today's music sucks compared to past generations

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
Have you ever considered why today's music (on the whole) sucks compared to past generations?

- diminished funding for music education in schools?

- maybe all the cool stuff has been discovered/done and rock n roll has run it's natural course like blues and jazz before it?

- maybe cultural influences like 9-11 play a role? In the 80s when **** was good we had an abundance of great music.

- maybe rock music doesn't represent rebellion anymore? Old people like rock n roll. Rock n roll is the establishment. Rap took the mantel of rebellion. Something your parents like can't be all that rebellious.

- maybe the democratization of music technology and distribution has allowed a vast sea of mediocrity to emerge, and removed the financial ability for record companies to invest in / sign bands and help develop them.

- maybe things like the death of Kurt Cobain irrevocably erased what would have been?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Technology has advanced enough to allow every smart phone to be a substitute for a working studio. Social media has allowed every user to craft a brand and publicize it.

When getting music recorded with quality reproduction was costly and technically difficult, the people that could afford the equipment and hire the qualified engineers to capture great sound reserved its use for music that deserved to be recorded.

Chrome Dinette

Have you ever considered why today's music (on the whole) sucks compared to past generations?

I have not considered it. Yes, things aren't perfect and technology and the application of it by businesses and individuals have made life difficult for many musicians, but there is no shortage of great music being made. I don't have the time or money to buy and listen to everything that catches my ear.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Unless your Taylor Swift, who I like kinda BTW or your rapping, which I think is silly btw, your not gonna make money so the talent level isn't there in popular music....just my 2 cents...
It's "you're," not "your." You also left out commas. Grammar police? Yes. Sorry, but someone has to recognize and correct incorrect punctuation and spelling.

pbenn2112

I've kinda thought that the length of medium has something to with it. Back when bands/artists only had around 40ish minutes for a record, they couldn't have any fluff. Only the best songs made the cut. Now, with almost 80 minutes for a cd or an unlimited amount for downloads, bands can include sub-par songs. Just a theory...

BADHAK

- diminished funding for music education in schools?

- maybe all the cool stuff has been discovered/done and rock n roll has run it's natural course like blues and jazz before it?

- maybe cultural influences like 9-11 play a role? In the 80s when **** was good we had an abundance of great music.

- maybe rock music doesn't represent rebellion anymore? Old people like rock n roll. Rock n roll is the establishment. Rap took the mantel of rebellion. Something your parents like can't be all that rebellious.

- maybe the democratization of music technology and distribution has allowed a vast sea of mediocrity to emerge, and removed the financial ability for record companies to invest in / sign bands and help develop them.

- maybe things like the death of Kurt Cobain irrevocably erased what would have been?

You obviously have not listened to top 40 radio from the 60's, 70's and 80's, because if you did you would hear mostly corny,cheesy throwaway pop.
Go on,have a listen to the top 40 for 1961 and tell me how awesome it is compared to 2015.
The only difference i can hear is that the crap from 61 was played by musicians, whereas todays crap is played by computers.....still crap though.
My fav music is classic/ hard rock from the 70's but when i dig deep i am constantly blown away by the quality of modern rock music.

Guitarworks

I reject the ‘old people like rock / it no longer represents rebellion / rap rook over’ argument. It holds no water - there are TONS of things in pop culture that are much, much older than rock music, and a great many of those things still excite young people. At one time, the music of Johann Sebastian Bach was considered rebellious.

I also reject the ‘rock has run its course like jazz and blues before it’ postulation. People are still playing jazz and blues. People are still playing classical music. People are still playing medieval music. Like rock, they are all validated art forms.

If some people are claiming that rock “sucks” now more than ever, it’s likely because there is more sub-par rock music being released and heard than ever. Why? Probably because of technology. Rock is no longer marketed through a limited-channel set of media (broadcast radio, broadcast tv, magazines and newspapers), which means that nothing has to pass through a bottleneck of harsh scrutiny in order to reach the mass audience, like it once did. The record industry used to have a great deal of control over what you heard in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and the early 90s. Satellite radio, the internet, and the MP3 have dissolved all the control the record industry once had.

So now, you are just as likely to hear substandard new rock music as you are to hear great new rock music. Unfortunately, this also means that there is more great new rock music being undiscovered, pushed aside, and overlooked than ever before as well. There are famous successful rock artists from the 70s & 80s that today, are bemoaning the fact that they have not heard anything sensational, melodic and memorable in rock for many years. It is because the system that was assigned the task of finding and developing that great new rock music for the record industry has not been in place for 20 years. These days, anyone and everyone can release new rock music, so you have to sift through it carefully and painstakingly to find the great stuff.