Theory/Solo ideas for AUTUMN LEAVES please.....

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by AJ Love, Jun 22, 2006.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I need to record a solo on Autumn Leaves next month, and while I have a few ideas already that are based on the melody, I'd appreciate some detailed Theory lessons, modes, scales whatever you guys can share on how you would approach soloing on this song... I don't consider myself a Jazz player, but the guy who is hiring me to do this recording insists he wants me to play on it, so I'm not going to turn down work...

The version we are doing has the first chord as C minor 7, then F7, Bb Major 7 etc etc, if that helps

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Here's a helpful site that goes not only into the history of the song, but towards the bottom goes into some theoretical detail:
    http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions-0/autumnleaves.htm

Aside from that, I'd just listen to any version of the song I can get my hands on and cop little bits and pieces here and there.

Hope it helps some. And good luck with the tune.

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

Most of it is in G, so start with that. Arpeggiate through the changes to practice and look for half step resolutions in your lines to lead from chord tone to chord tone. The ii V7 i minor change F#min7b5, B7 altered and Eminor is a nice place to look for some outside tones, but the critical note is the D# which is the 3 of the B7 chord and is outside the key of Gmajor. Use it to lead into Eminor7, try using a B augmented arpeggio to get to E minor. Just a few ideas, hope it helps.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

The version on this album will either inspire you or make you never want to touch that tune again as long as you live.

[​IMG]

5. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

Great link. Thanks for that. I've been trying to remember Yves Montands name for a decade now. I was in Paris the day he died.

I agree, try to listen to any version of the song you can find for ideas.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

No problem, glad you (and Old Tele Man) liked it. I just found it recently myself. I've been going there and looking up every standard I know to get more insight into the tune. Although not exhaustive, it's a pretty great place to check out/learn more about the tunes they do have articles about.

7. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

That is a cool site. Thanks for sharing.

8. Tomo

Tomo Member

There are many things to do.

Play all Rt 3rd 7th forms to play changes (prepare the sound of changes)

Play all triads over 123/234 set strings in many different way(prepare to follow changes)... C- F Bb Eb Adim D G- G

Use some ii v... at lease above 2 items are important. Yes, it' s G minor
    blues!

Most important thing is to be able to sing something before you play.
    (Do not look at your left hand). If you don't hear in yourself, nothing
    comes out, but you can prepare a few things.

I use this tune to teach how to play changes.

PS, I avoid to think scales or 7th arp and theory too much.

Tomo