There any way to make my TS-9 louder?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Sep 16, 2008.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I like the tone of my stock Ibanez TS-9, but when A/Bing it against my Boss SD-1, the Boss is like 3 times as loud with the level maxed vs. the TS-9. I'm only using the pedal for lead boosts, so I need a good jump in volume to overpower the mix. I took apart the TS-9 and saw no trim pots in there, so it's time to refer to your TS-9 geniuses and ask what components to remove/replace to make it louder. :huh

2. jstone

jstone Member

Well you could maybe take a look at the second stage of the op amp. It is possible to get a little more out of it maybe...:)
    There are some other tricks as well.

Get the datasheet for the op amp you are using is the best start.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Isn't the opamp inside the IC in there? How am I supposed to modify that? If there are other tricks, let's hear 'em :D

4. jstone

jstone Member

There should be a resistor setting the gain of the second stage, more resistance from input to output increases the gain, The op amp is an IC yes. Find out what it is and find the correct datasheet for this op amp you will probably find a test circuit there explaining what values needed to increase the gain.

Not a trick at all. :)
    You could take a look at these two schematic and see the difference in the second stage.
    http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/bosssd1.gif
    http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/ibanezts9.gif

They are not identical but you will notice that the 1k resistor of TS-9 is 10k in the SD-1

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

If you're only using it for boosts you could install a switch to take the diodes out of the feedback loop. That will give you a good jump in volume. This is a old well known mod for TS circuits.

Scott

6. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Or you could just get a clean boost and put it after your TS9.

7. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

or an uncompressed pedal (like eternity or tim) that has a lot of headroom....

8. jstone

jstone Member

Or slightly lower :)
    I am lying if I say I have NOT done this before :)

Remove diodes is another thing that does make the TS louder but... without diodes it might not sound the same way.