There can be only one....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by goodkungfu, Apr 18, 2016.

1. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

[​IMG]

Not the Mustang, that's what I'm listening through..

Cray Cray I know... Don't worry though, I haven't actually let the AX8 touch the Helix as I may cancel out reality.. ;-)

So, to sum up, I have had a KPA for about 4 yrs, love it but I'm not crazy about the footswitch (i have the FCB and am not inclined to shell out for the remote) plus, i fancied a change so when I heard about the AX8 I was super excited, got on the wait list and dug in for the wait. Then the Helix came out and by sheer chance I was in L&M in Vancouver when think the first one came into the store (possibly the first in Canada). I knew I had 30 days to return it so got out the old CCard and bobs yer Uncle.

I kept it for the 30 days but then returned it as I knew the AX8 was coming, I figured I could buy it again at a later date. The wait for the AX8 dragged on and all the while i realised I was missing the Helix and realised I had only scratched the surface. Even though I slightly prefered my KPA tone wise i realised I had 4 yrs experience with the KPA and a couple of weeks (over christmas, with kids and a small business) with the Helix. Was kind of bummed i'd given it up. I sing and play lead/rhythm so the usability and foot switching was really compelling..

Then, finally I get my invite for the AX8 and was super excited.. I get it, plugged it in (but I'm exhausted after a 10 hr day at the biz) and was completely confused as to how to do anything. The interface seemed like a nightmare after the KPA and Helix and long story short I got all pissed off and grumbled like a middle aged bear throwing his toys out of the pram for a few days and then ordered another Helix. Thought I'd try them all together.

So, cut to now and TBH the Helix has been loads of fun and the AX8 has been literally gathering dust (I actually felt bad, as so many wanted it and it was sitting under a bunch of clothes in the bedroom, I was looking to pass it on for no profit to a worthy Canuck..;-).. I was making a final decision between the KPA and the Helix but then I thought I should get out the AX again just to be sure.

This time i got Axe Edit working and started to spend some time with it and now it's starting to rock. The 2290 delay is amazing and I'm starting to find my way around the unit. i still hate the UI on the unit but it's getting easier and I'm starting to see the appeal..

Anyhow, I can't keep all 3, I'm not that flush so I will have to make a decision soon, though I'll take the hit financially on the resale so I can enjoy and make an informed decision. To top all this off Kemper just released FW4.0 beta and Mr Britt just dropped some awesome new profiles.. Sounds amazeballs..

I'm going to get to know all of them and try to post my thoughts here. I don't want any slagging wars or fanboy stuff. I'll tell you right now, as many have said before, ALL 3 of these things are amazing. I was a pro guitar player and singer for 15 yrs, my only job, gigs, functions, sessions and my own originals bands and these units would have been a godsend. They are all SO powerful compared to earlier tech we are truly blessed. I believe they do different things better than each other (UI, Profiling, Depth of tweaking spring to mind, in no particular order ;-) but they are all more than capable of creating amazing tonez, for dayz, with haunting mids.....and unicorn dust...

I'll let you know how it goes, men and women of TGP... check back for more musings...

tanks,

gkf

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

3. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

You probably should have splurged for the Kemper remote...makes a huge difference IMO. I had two Kemper units (powered and unpowered) previously and sold them both because I wasn't happy with the foot-switch options for live use. Now with the Remote it's all I'm using for smaller gigs.

3dognate, goodkungfu and SkyhighRocks like this.
  4. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Nice!

I recommend inserting the Kemper into the FX loop of the Helix. It's super cool! Or at least use it as a MIDI controller for the Kemper, which is what I currently do. There's nothing out there like any of the two, so combining them it's the ultimate setup (until further development, I guess).

I got the Helix since the first month it came out, and I love it. But, in my opinion, the Kemper is the tone King. Especially if you use Pure Cabinet, AND Michael Britt profiles (the newly released one is ridiculously good), AND the new delays that are to arrive hopefully soon. That said, the Helix is such an awesome piece of gear. I suggest you keep them both (if you can, of course).

Enjoy!

mbenigni and goodkungfu like this.
  5. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Sell um all... Buy an Amplifire :stir

orbm1, BoB/335, LPV and 5 others like this.
  6. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Yeah, i probably should've.. The Kemper is still kicking ass.. i've yet to try the other two at rehersals but the KPA tones i get spoil me.. Great to think that the engine hasn't changed. It's a tone monster fo sure...

But, you know, new toys and all that...

7. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Pure cabinet is awesome. i have tried the KPA in the loop, it's how i was A/Bing them at the time. Soo easy to do on the Helix, amazing..

But that means i need to carry a pedalboard, KPA and cab. Ideally i want to get down to two hands full and guitar on my back. Even for the BS rehersals i do now the setup at the beginning and end is tedious. i'm getting older and want things easier... ;-) Pedalboard into powered cab? Boom! or KPA remote in the KPA bag, if I stick with the Kemper, still one handed...

Jose7822 and mbenigni like this.
  8. jageya

jageya Member

I agree with this.....kemper is amazing piece of gear.

byw...where is the amplifire ??? yOU NEED THAT TOO!

goodkungfu likes this.
  9. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I think if you play live the Kemper remote is a must. Small, light, and yet controls everything you would need it to control.

I've been working with the AX8 for about a month now and have things sounding pretty good, it just takes longer to find "the tone" I'm searching for. A lot of guys are happy firing it up and playing, but if you have a tone in your head it may take a bit to "find" it in the AX8.

Have fun man, it's a great problem to have!!

Jose7822 and goodkungfu like this.
  10. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Dude, if I got an amplifire I may create a black hole and we'd all be crushed down to an atomic scale!!!

;-) i think i goy my hands full...

11. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Hey Pat, i think you had a similar experience with the AX right? I seem to remember you almost boxing it but now your happier? You gonna keep it?

I'm getting some killer tones now from mine, it's a lot further to dig but the sounds, and i mean great sounds, are definitely in there. I worry about editing it at gigs/rehearsals though. I'm not hooking up a laptop and i always futz with my KPA, and that's easy to use. If i can't get it dialled in right then this will be the sticking point..

I'm liking the idea of scenes though, and the thing is built for nuclear conflict, and it's the smallest footprint.. so......

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I wish I had gear problems like yours :D:D:D

the Helix is the one I want - after decades of Line 6 gear, I am sure I would grok it better than the others....

Phnurt and goodkungfu like this.
  13. jimfist

jimfist Member

14. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

It's a huge leap up from previous Line 6 gear, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. In everything but tone (possibly) it has raised the bar for modellers. It's a gorgeously designed piece of gear stuffed full of options.. kudos to L6 and all that worked and continue to work on it. This ain't your papa's line 6 gear... ;-)

Bobby D, Jose7822, mbenigni and 2 others like this.
  15. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Question for the Axe guys..

The Tc2290 delay has this incredible stereo width thing going on. It's freaky coming out of the stereo 2x12, sounds like there are surround speakers in the room. How is it doing that?

I mean it's honestly astonishing, sounds huge, even with two speakers right next to each other..

Is there a way to get the KPA or Helix delays to do this?

16. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I'll keep it, I waited a long time to get it so I'll hang it on the wall as art if I don't use it. I've got a couple presets right now that I am liking plus I'm testing a few 3rd party presets. Best thing about the AX8 is the all-in-one, great unit if you play out a lot. Good luck with it.

goodkungfu likes this.
  17. veritechc

veritechc Member

You my friend have achieved:

[​IMG]

Crash-VR, Phnurt and goodkungfu like this.
  18. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

It is really impossible to go wrong with any of those 3 units, they are really the big 3 of modeling (if you count the AX8 for Fractal in general). I'd think most any player would be thrilled with the tones and capabilities of any of them. Each has improved capabilities than each of the others, but in different areas.

I'm glad I don't have an opportunity to try out the Helix or AX8 as that removes the chance I might prefer them over the Kemper. Still greatly loving the Kemper though. But since I've gotten a Variax the Helix is starting to whisper...

Phnurt and goodkungfu like this.
  19. veritechc

veritechc Member

What Variax do you have? I have a JVT 89f and its f-ing magic with the Helix. Let me entice you.

The Helix can:

Power the guitar from the VDI cable
    Switch the model for you per preset
    Change the tuning per preset
    Change the tuning per string per preset
    Let you use both the models and the magnetics at the same frigging time.

Not to mention control everything in your setup from it. I use the Helix to control the presets and scenes of my Axe Fx.

Make your rig really small (I know not something men are looking to do but I'm getting older, lol)

Here is my rig:

[​IMG]

20. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

The Kemper is an embarrassment of riches. It may still stay, i have loved it for years and still do. When the honeymoon wears off with the other two, who knows.. Plus they are addressing the shortfalls now with new Delays and Verbs..

Its a rocking unit..

mbenigni, Jose7822 and Phnurt like this.