There is going to be FALLOUT over this! G&L Fallout, that is ...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Doctor Morbius, Nov 7, 2019.

1. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Kind of interesting that G&L didn’t do a concurrent Tribute version as SS basses are *generally* looked at as “beginner” basses by people who would drop 1.7k on a bass.

2. olejason

olejason Member

I had planned on picking up the JMJ bass in black when it is released so I can have a short scale strung with rounds. I do session jobs here and there and the studio I work at has started requesting I bring the Mustang bass, it just immediately sounds so good. Really took me by surprise as I've never been a big fan of short scales.

Doctor Morbius likes this.
  3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

I'm gonna guess that "Minimum Order Quantity" had something to do with it.

I think with a slew of boutique builders (Serek immediately comes to mind), companies offering serious short scale instruments, and an aging musician population that's gravitating toward SS for ease of comfort and playability, that stigma of them being a "beginner bass" is all but gone.

4. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Member

Good on you Mate! Since the powers that be have banned me from TB land I have fortunately found a more supported group... It's indeed all about the "Wow factor"... I look forward to checking these out. I also will presenting my version of the classic F style short scale bass shortly.

Moonshine

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

There’s always been a subset of “serious” bass players that prefer SS basses. Whether it’s women, smaller men, or just people who like playing SS basses. There’s been “boutique” builders building quality SS basses since the 70s (at this point, even Birdsong has been around for 15 years). It doesn’t change the fact that most of the SS basses you see being used are Mustangs.

And as far as it goes, the lower end (pardon the pun) instruments are easier to sell and are what make the big money. It’s why there’s a Tribute, Squier, and (modern) Epiphone line to begin with. While older, more affluent customers can be catered to- the numbers, and therefore the money has always been generated by the younger customers.

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

The Mustang was the coolest looking short scale when it came out, which is the reason you see more of them onstage over the short scale aspect.

No kidding? Cheaper models sell more than the higher end ones? I had no idea...! ;)

G&L wanted to start this out with a limited edition (color, racing stripe, matching headstock), and gauge interest. I don't see anything wrong with that, instead of starting with an import model out of the gate that they may or may not make "the big money" on. The past couple of years have had many of the big companies start putting out higher end instruments over just the lower end ones, so this makes sense.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Glad to help!

:aok

8. Gizmot

Gizmot Member

I think this bass is interesting and I’m a big fan of G&L and the MFD pickup. This bass is priced wrong if they want to grab some market share, but if they only intend to do some real-life market research and make it a limited edition model, they’ll sell enough t have made it worthwhile.

9. Spupilup

Spupilup Member

I bought a CLF L1000 earlier this year for $1599 with a G&G case. It's hard to justify the Fallout price of $1699 with a cheap G&L gig bag ($59.99). If they had kept the price around $1200 I might have been interested but not at the current price.

wallaceSnr likes this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Not sure what constitutes too heavy since that would depend on the owners comfort and preference.

My Kiloton weighs 8lbs 4ozs and has no neck dive issues. The L2500 as expected is about a pound heavier with no neck dive issues but then it's a 3/2 headstock. Both have ash bodies and maple fingerboards.

I suspect the issue with the gig bag is because the current G&L hard case would be too large for a short scale bass unless they have an insert made for them to fit the form and size of a Fallout. Dealer pricing may also be somewhat less than $1700.

11. feet

feet Supporting Member

ok, i finally checked these out. and yeah, the stripe doesn't work. but they look alright. two things they have going for them is that they are cheaper and sound better than the infinitely cuter short scale stingray. if ernie ball had moved that pickup to where the fallout has it, or made a baby hh, that might have been something. to be fair, it does sound exactly as a baby stingray should. but the fallout just sounds better to me. guess i'll save me a couple thousand dollars and pass on both. :D

12. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member

I just read the Premier Guitar review in the latest issue, and they raved about it, so now I'm curious. I'm not a real bass player; I'm a guitar player, and I only play bass when I want to record a home demo. I have a Mexico Fender Jazz bass I've been using for that, but, being a guitar player, I'm wondering if a short-scale bass would be better for my needs. Any bass players on TGP played and compared the G&L Fallout with the Fender Mustangs? or other short-scale basses? I would be interested in hearing the opinions of real bass players who have actually played the various short-scale basses (not just seen a video.) Thanks, --Ice Tre
    PS - I actually like the racing stripes. :)

13. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

You're already using one of the two most iconic basses in history for your recordings. So, unless you're having an issue with the scale length of the jazz, I don't think a short scale in and of itself would provide you with any additional benefit.

I got to play a prototype version of it last year (being a G&L artist and good friends with their AR definitely has some perks), and in terms of playability, it plays just like any of the other "shorties" that I've played. It's comfortable, and has a nice neck profile.

Where the Fallout shines is in the MFD pickup, which I personally think is one of the most underrated bass pickups out there. It's got the signal of an active pickup, with punch, definition and clarity but also has the analog warmth and fullness. Add in series/parallel/OMG modes, and you have a lot more versatility than most others on the market.

IceTre likes this.
  14. IceTre

IceTre Silver Supporting Member

Jon,
    Thanks for the reply to my post. Actually, yes, I do have a problem with the scale length of the Jazz bass, because, I'm a guitar player who only plays bass for home demos (a couple of times a year). So that's why I'm looking into a short-scale bass. I'm trying to figure out which would be the best for me. I'm looking for something versatile tone-wise, since my compositions vary quite a bit stylistically.

Another question: I looked all over the G&L site and the internet in general, but I could not find an explanation for the "OMG" mode. The G&L site said it's the same as the L-1000, but that model wasn't on the site. Does anybody know what that means? Is it just the two coils in series?

15. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

In your case, I'd focus more on a bass that plays well in your hands over total versatility. Make sure you like the sound the bass has, and it'll fit in your compositions.

It's there, but it's under the CLF Research instruments - CLF Research L-1000

You'd have to ask to be sure (as I don't fully know), but I think it's something closer to series with an additional boost.

16. adi

adi Member

a bit steep for me but its not an absurd price
    ive seen worse
    v nice looking bass thank god they went for dot inlays cant stand block inlays

17. Spupilup

Spupilup Member

The Oh My God sound is accomplished through using a different capacitor. It was, in many ways, a game changer for the L-1000 when it first came to market back in 1980. It was a passive bass that had capabilities normally only found in basses with active preamps. As a one time owner of a 1980 L-1000, and a current owner of a CLF L-1000, all I can say is if they had kept the price in the range they were originally considering ($1200) I'd probably own one already. But, since I already have the L-1000 and an L-2000, I think I'm more than covered.

IceTre, if you're really having issues with a long scale bass, the G&L could be just the ticket. I haven't played one yet but I'm sure it's SIGNIFICANTLY more capable than any Fender Mustang, I don't care what pickup that bass is sporting.

18. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Way too compressed a demo. I doubt the bass sounds like that without the compressor cranked so much.