There is no reason for someone to NOT own a digital multimeter...

PushedGlass

I can't agree more. One of the first things I bought for myself when I started working in 1986 was a Fluke 77 and I still use it regularly. I got a similar Triplett a few years ago in part because it does true RMS and limited cap testing and freq measurement, but all else being equal I grab the Fluke.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
It's handy for sure. I've used it to make certain my soldering resulted in secure connections, I've checked pickup resistance, a bunch of handy things.

doctorx

That meter is fine for the majority of guitarists, who really don't need a fluke to measure continuity, basic voltages, etc. Harbor Freight has a cheap one too.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
There is no reason for someone to NOT own a digital multimeter...
Well... what about potential exposure to lethal voltages, when someone starts poking around inside an amp with DMM leads without proper training?

- T

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Well... what about potential exposure to lethal voltages, when someone starts poking around inside an amp with DMM leads without proper training?
Now, I don't recommend that they DO anything in particular with their meter, but at $3.87 a go, there's no excuse NOT to have one. They probably already own metallic forks, and have live outlets in the house, and yet they live... :D

Trout

Get 'em here for LESS than a Big Mac...

http://www.parts-express.com/3-1-2-digit-19-range-digital-multimeter-with-transistor-test--390-500

I sure don't need any, but it's hard to resist buying a couple to dedicate to something, like to maybe make a dedicated bias current/Vp rig.
That is the same brand & style meter Harbor Freight always has in stock.
You can get them Free with coupon.
Watch local newspapers and clipper coupon mailers.
I bet I have at least 25 of those laying around.
Every time the battery dies I just bust out a new meter.

bigtone23

Yep, you can get that same one for free at Harbor Freight.
It's an indispensable tool. I remember getting my first meter when I was about 12. My dad's friend (both regular joes with no musical nor electrical leanings) gave my dad one based on the same "everybody needs one of these around the house" argument. After a week, my dad picked up one for me and gave me the same argument with the gift.

Trending Topics