There's a difference between a guitar cable and speaker cable?

scottcityman

Platinum Supporting Member
That's news to me…
I saw a dire warning on another thread about not using a guitar cable to hook a head to a speaker cabinet… What's the problem?

Guitar cable is screened, so has capacitance and the core wire is normally very skinny - it's only carrying a very small signal. It is however not man enough for speaker use, although low volumes will probably be fine, it's not a good idea at all to use it.

Speaker cable is NOT screened and is heavier duty - it needs to cope with up to several hundred watts.

Diablo1

A guitar cable is shielded so you don't pick up 60 cycle hum from the surrounding electrical devices. It's also relative small diameter wire that is only designed for low current. Speaker wire isn't shielded, but is large diameter to carry the high current to the speakers. If you hook up an instrument cable to the speakers, you may burn up the cable from excess current. Also the instrument cable has a capacitive load so that the effective impedance is very high. This means that you have a large impedance mismatch between the speakers and your amp, and that's also very bad. So, there are two ways you can fry your amp with an instrument cable hooked to the speakers.

dcbc

Took me 25 years to figure it out. My cabinets (from heads) sound much better.

Silent Sound

I know two adult men (both in their 70's) who think that oil changes for their car is a scam put on by the oil industry. They refuse to believe otherwise. I feel sorry for whomever gets their cars after them! Oddly enough, it turns out some cars can run 50k+ miles on the break-in oil they leave the factory with without breaking down.

EADGBE

It's not safe to use a guitar cord for a speaker cable. You could damage your amp. Using speaker cable for a guitar cord won't hurt anything though. It will just sound terrible.

jlb32

I know two adult men (both in their 70's) who think that oil changes for their car is a scam put on by the oil industry. They refuse to believe otherwise. I feel sorry for whomever gets their cars after them! Oddly enough, it turns out some cars can run 50k+ miles on the break-in oil they leave the factory with without breaking down.

Way off topic I know but the oil thing is a big myth IMO also. I know several lifetime mechanics that feel the same way. It's not that you do not need to change your oil. You really do, but every 3,000 miles is a rip off and all for the oil companies and businesses that call for those quick changes. Every 5,000-10,000 miles is more than enough to keep your engine in killer shape and super long life.

bob-i

There's risk of burning up and shorting the wire if you use shielded cable for speakers, been there, done that, the amp was fine but it crapped out in the middle of the set.

Changing oil is not a rip off, but every 3,000 miles is. In the early days of cars oil was pretty low quality and would break down. I can remember changing oil in my Dad's car and the oil was a combo of sludge and watery. Today's oil is far better quality, 10,000 miles or a year is fine. /cliff claven

scottcityman

Platinum Supporting Member
I have so many cables I've had for so many years I don't even know where they came from… End of a practice or performance and I end up with some that aren't mine and other people and with up with some that are mine etc.
anyway to tell by looking whether they are an instrument cable or speaker cable?

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Way off topic I know but the oil thing is a big myth IMO also. I know several lifetime mechanics that feel the same way. It's not that you do not need to change your oil. You really do, but every 3,000 miles is a rip off and all for the oil companies and businesses that call for those quick changes. Every 5,000-10,000 miles is more than enough to keep your engine in killer shape and super long life.

If people actually read the owners manual of their vehicle they'd know this. Manufacturers required oil change interval for my vehicle is 6500 or 6 months.

Suave Eddie

I have so many cables I've had for so many years I don't even know where they came from… End of a practice or performance and I end up with some that aren't mine and other people and with up with some that are mine etc.
anyway to tell by looking whether they are an instrument cable or speaker cable?
Speaker-vs-Instrument-cable.jpg

swiveltung

Strangely, some name brand speaker cables have 2 inside wires and a screen/sheild. Not sure what the capacitance of these are. I have used patch cords many times in the music room for speaker cables. Strangely again, the world kept spinning. But yeah, speaker wire should be a bit bigger than many guitar cable cores.

old goat

Unless it's a subaru, in which case the crankcase will be dry long before 50K

Guinness Lad

While true in theory I can tell when my car needs an oil change, it loses that silkiness. As soon as the oil change happens back to smooth.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
While true in theory I can tell when my car needs an oil change, it loses that silkiness. As soon as the oil change happens back to smooth.

non mechanic lingo. This should be fun. What exactly do you mean by silkiness? By the way there's nothing " theoretically" true about when you need an oil change. You either need one or you don't. Unless, your driving in the Baja 1000 you shouldn't need an oil change before the manufacturers recommended interval.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom