• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

There's no way this refinished '64 Strat sold for that price...

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Those weren’t “newbies” buying those guitars. It was us.
Those are not mutually exclusive, I truly believe a lot of newcomers have entered this market during the plague given the routine cases of absurd prices and sales for fakes and the likes, and inflated prices for subpar instruments.

I seriously think that what's been happening in the vintage market is exactly what's happening in the economy at large now: a classic case of inflation.
Too much money chasing too few goods.

suparsonic

Ugh, I'm looking to buy in this hot market... I should probably hold off for a year of so, but I'm not getting any younger...
If I had the money that’s invested in my 65 Strat sitting in the bank instead, it would have made $110 interest over the past year.
OTOH the guitar has increased thousands in value.
This is what’s driving up prices IMO.

caples

the same strat was just resisted on reverb, apparently it did not really sell.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
the same strat was just resisted on reverb, apparently it did not really sell.

You think it was an overly-optimistic Hold grab that failed, or someone had second thoughts?

There’s a ‘31 Gibson L-5 at RetroFret that just got relisted - someone put it On Hold somewhat unconsciously/impulsively, but when they came to and did the math, it was never going to happen*. I am alway afraid of flexing my hustle muscle so hard that I try to bite off something like that. Oy.

*I know nothing about this particular situation; I just know that if a RF Regular finds themselves calling impulsively, they will sometimes give you - so I’ve heard ;) - a few-day grace period to see if you can really take that swing.

The “No, No - take it off Hold; I can’t swing it” calls…they just hurt, man. :dude

Last edited:

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
it’s still overpriced. You can get an all-original sunburst ‘64 for that.

But looking at their website they are really high on a few of those Pre-CBS Fenders.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, "high" on the prices from ECG on vintage pieces is an understatement.
I see they have a nice '70 Marshall 100w Trem head for instance, but $6k with some holes in the back? :huh Come on...

sikoniko

the prices are stupid right now, but I do think supply does have something to do with it... Especially the number of vintage guitars on the market in the US. Some dealers that used to have a large stock of vintage guitars seem to be tapped out.

I take pictures at the Orlando guitar show every year, and just today I was going through the photo's and comparing the prices from the shows vs the current prices.... makes me want to cry... as I have the money for the cost from back then, but now with the jump, they are just as far away now as they were back then.

The one that really makes me cringe is the 52 Les Paul... you could easily find them under $15k. now I see them >$40k. they are asking the same price as the '54 Les Paul are being asked for, and those guitars used to go for ~$20k (just a couple years ago). sigh...

I am hopeful that since guitar shows are again in full swing, we will see supply go up and costs drop back to normal in the next 6+ months.

dealers are buying in this market, to keep stock though, and they aren't going to want to take a big loss...

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, "unfortunately" I think there are chances that at least one part of the gear/market will stay at a higher price and won't come back fully to the "previous" prices, knowing that the more it is at the higher end of the spectrum to more resilient it usually is to "market corrections". "Player" gear or less sought after and/or more plentiful pieces would probably have much bigger chance (or "risk", depending on how you see this) to see significant price correction.
Kind of makes me think to what happened to the classic car market few years ago for instance; quite sudden much more interest in a finite inventory of old pieces = crazy price inflation. I remember seing asking prices of some old Porsche 911 being x3 or x4 over a short period of a few months. Some came back down, some didn't and are still increasing.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Kind of makes me think to what happened to the classic car market few years ago for instance; quite sudden much more interest in a finite inventory of old pieces = crazy price inflation. I remember seing asking prices of some old Porsche 911 being x3 or x4 over a short period of a few months. Some came back down, some didn't and are still increasing.
And that's why I'm probably going to jump into the 50's Strat waters in 2022 despite the currently increasing prices. It's my gut-feeling that all-original examples in good condition are not going to come back down. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. Either way, I'll end up with a great guitar that I will enjoy for my remaining days and the money spent won't really matter in the end.

Jazzandmore

And that's why I'm probably going to jump into the 50's Strat waters in 2022 despite the currently increasing prices. It's my gut-feeling that all-original examples in good condition are not going to come back down. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. Either way, I'll end up with a great guitar that I will enjoy for my remaining days and the money spent won't really matter in the end.
What will you be looking for in terms of year, and specs?

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Yes, "unfortunately" I think there are chances that at least one part of the gear/market will stay at a higher price and won't come back fully to the "previous" prices, knowing that the more it is at the higher end of the spectrum to more resilient it usually is to "market corrections". "Player" gear or less sought after and/or more plentiful pieces would probably have much bigger chance (or "risk", depending on how you see this) to see significant price correction.
Like these 356's

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
What will you be looking for in terms of year, and specs?
It does get to a point where asking prices are just too much for me. I'd love to get into an early '56 Ash body, but I don't see that happening without compromising on some of the originality in order to lower the price.

Original finish is my preference, but an old refinish that has aged naturally and looks like an original is not out of the question. Definitely want the original finish and decal on the neck without any overspray. A refret with larger frets is a plus as far as I am concerned.

Realistically, I think a '57 to early '58 2-Tone Burst is doable. I'm open to a 3-tone '58 as long as the neck is not too small as they tend to be in the later part of '58. I have a list of things that I am not willing to compromise on in terms of originality, and I definitely want one with a tweed case in good condition.

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

It does get to a point where asking prices are just too much for me. I'd love to get into an early '56 Ash body, but I don't see that happening without compromising on some of the originality in order to lower the price.

Original finish is my preference, but an old refinish that has aged naturally and looks like an original is not out of the question. Definitely want the original finish and decal on the neck without any overspray. A refret with larger frets is a plus as far as I am concerned.

Realistically, I think a '57 to early '58 2-Tone Burst is doable. I'm open to a 3-tone '58 as long as the neck is not too small as they tend to be in the later part of '58. I have a list of things that I am not willing to compromise on in terms of originality, and I definitely want one with a tweed case in good condition.
Nice! Hopefully something comes up that hits the sweet spot for you. I‘m sure you can already imagine getting it home and plugging in for the first time.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Like these 356's

Yes, cool car. I actually clearly remember at some point thinking about either looking for an old 930 Turbo or concentrating on getting a 50's strat and few other old gear. Next time I looked at those cars (couple of years later maybe?) they were selling for $100-150k; "too late" :bonk

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Yes, cool car. I actually clearly remember at some point thinking about either looking for an old 930 Turbo or concentrating on getting a 50's strat and few other old gear. Next time I looked at those cars (couple of years later maybe?) they were selling for $100-150k; "too late" :bonk
That's why I bought this before they turn into unobtainable stupid money!!!!

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Great one @rockinrobby !
Yes I clearly see what you mean; oh and to make it look even worse, I had to sell that '50's strat few years ago and now people are asking probably double the money for those! In the end, no 930 and no 50's strat; talk about bad timing :jo

sikoniko

my recommendation - try as many as you can before you purchase.

I have a '55 refin. It's a great guitar, but I really want the cool vibe of an original finish. One day I'll use this refin as collateral into an original. the thing about ash though - it's kind of like a burst and having a preference of the red fade... you may decide there is a particular grain pattern you do not want as well.

Riffmaster227

This is why I don’t have any Pre CBS era fenders, can’t afford em’ I’ll stick with my 77 strat I find it close enough for government work

5360F7B4-CB38-4CDC-8B83-98348D32D6C2.jpeg

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
:eek::cry::jo
As I see it they could just as well ask $125k at this point for this '55 strat, why not? or $150k?
Way out of control right now IMHO; even if I'd be actively looking to buy I'd really take the time to pause and see where it's going to in the longer term.
To come back to that classic car & old Porsche analogy, makes me feel like we're in that period where some started to ask close to $200k for a 930. They have since come back to about half of that in most cases; even if it's still x3 to x4 the prices before the "bubble".

Top Bottom