• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

There's no way this refinished '64 Strat sold for that price...

sikoniko

Here are some of the prices from the Orlando Guitar show over the last several years... for discussion.

These prices were steady over the years. what I was interested in dictated what I took a picture of and some of the more recent shows, I don't have quality pictures that include a price, for reference.

2019 Guitar Show

2018 Guitar Show

2019 Guitar Show

2019 Guitar Show

2015 Guitar Show

2014 Guitar Show (I would buy 2 of these with cash today if I saw this price! sigh...)

2018 Guitar Show

2018 Guitar Show

Last edited:

jlott

Gold Supporting Member
Just because it is on hold doesn't mean they are paying full price.
I'm not sure. I'd assume it's close or the shop would tell them no. I don't know how much wiggle room is in something like that.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
The Retrofret Strat is on hold, so someone is buying it at that price.
I'm not surprised in the slightest. As I said earlier, try finding another '55 in that condition.

Here are some of the prices from the Orlando Guitar show over the last several years... for discussion.

These prices were steady over the years. what I was interested in dictated what I took a picture of and some of the more recent shows, I don't have quality pictures that include a price, for reference.
What we don't know from your pics is how many of those are all-original.

A '65 like your first pic is selling for double that price today.

The '58 you posed at $32k was high for 2019. I have a line on two all-original '58s for that price today, one in better condition than that one.

sikoniko

What we don't know from your pics is how many of those are all-original.

A '65 like your first pic is selling for double that price today.

The '58 you posed at $32k was high for 2019. I have a line on two all-original '58s for that price today, one in better condition than that one.
I posted these for discussion and awareness. not all guitars are through the roof and there are deals to be had. 50s Les Paul's and '54-'55 strats seem to have the highest mark-up from what I am seeing.

and for some reason... Jaguars and Jazzmasters are priced quite crazy as well...

jlott

Gold Supporting Member
and for some reason... Jaguars and Jazzmasters are priced quite crazy as well...
Yes the prices on those has gotten crazy. More Jazzmasters than Jaguars. The only ones I see selling at high prices are the really early near mint Jazzmasters. The '65 Sunburst Jazzmasters listed at $8000. Nope. Still sitting.

sikoniko

Yes the prices on those has gotten crazy. More Jazzmasters than Jaguars. The only ones I see selling at high prices are the really early near mint Jazzmasters. The '65 Sunburst Jazzmasters listed at $8000. Nope. Still sitting.

I want a 62-63 fiesta red jaguar. I have cash in hand and ready to buy when the right one comes available.

cesco's corner popped up with a '64 FR jag. I asked him how much? he said $17k. I just can't see paying that for a jag, so I passed. he claims it sold. he still has it in his inventory. I am considering meeting his $17k. he now says he wants $30k, because he believes its an uber rare tahitian coral under the fiesta red. he can sit on it. tahitian coral is not on the color chart for '64. it's possible, but highly unlikely and even if it is, its not worth $30k.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I suppose there is a possibility it's real. Fender would paint guitars in any Du-Pont Ducco color regardless of whether it was listed in their custom color chart.

sikoniko

I suppose there is a possibility it's real. Fender would paint guitars in any Du-Pont Ducco color regardless of whether it was listed in their custom color chart.
In the 50s, yes. In the 60s (especially mid-60s on), not that often. Anything is possible w/ fender, but it requires strong provenance to prove and declare value. many collectors I know are staying far away from custom colors, because old refins are black lighting like originals now...

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm not sure. I'd assume it's close or the shop would tell them no. I don't know how much wiggle room is in something like that.
As I have stated here, RetroFret hasn’t haggled on price for a while. If you aren’t bringing in an RF-quality swap, there is no haggle to be had, and the price isn’t changing. I assume it’s on hold for the listed price.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
I will say this again - please consider all of this in the bigger picture. RetroFret is working with other dealers in a way as top-tier scouts.

Recall that immaculate Bubble Girl Banner LG-2 - @Black Squirrel posted a link to its listing in CO where RF got it in this thread I had started about it:
RetroFret asked for, and got, a price way above the asking price in CO - again within 24 hours.

This tells us that High Spot Guitars have become so well understood as an investment that provenance is everything.

When a guitar seems Too Good To Be True, you simply can *not* buy that guitar from just anybody - unless you have way more than “10,000 Hours” in the Vintage Game, and have at least one or two Broker/Authenticators on speed dial.

To be clear: this in *no way* says that the shop in CO is a risk - simply that they don’t have the visibility and international rep that RF does to feature these Highest High Spots.

If a shop like RetroFret has done the work for you, and is stating Yes, this Guitar is Authentically Too Good To Be True!! :dude :dude :dude then you know you have full permission to look at that 1955 Stratocaster as the impossibly-under-the-bed time capsule it is. Even if you know your stuff inside and out, and every fiber of your being feels great about the guitar, you always need to keep your provenance lined up. You can’t mess around with this.

How is this any different from Vintage Car dealers going over their cars with a fine-tooth comb, or Art dealers authenticating works, etc.

In terms of tyranny, that’s just how this stuff works. Folks bought Impressionist Art for a few hundred bucks back in the day, look at the real estate examples cited, etc.

So it goes. I am happy to bet 3 million Quatloos that the buyer of that ‘55 Strat’s descendents will feel great about having it in the family.

Last edited:

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
I think the vintage guitar market is going to stay high for a wile. I really don’t see a big price drop for at least a couple of years, and inflation is just going to make it more unaffordable so get used to it.
I bought a couple of guitars recently from my good friends at Well Strung Guitars both 100% and both play and sound amazing! No regrets here.
I’m just your typical pro guitar player that is aging and I have the means to pay what I think is a fair price for quality and originality..
(Well Strung Guitars ) > are fantastic to deal with. You get what you pay for…

VJF

Is Tahitian Coral a real color? Every example looks like faded Fiesta Red to me. I'm calling BS on Tahitian Coral being a real color.
For what it's worth: https://davesguitar.com/dgs_collection/stratocaster-61-2/

"Besides having all the classic characteristics that make early ‘60s Strats appealing to players and collectors, this one has an ultra-rare color. According to an old piece of masking tape attached under the pickguard, the color is Tahitian Coral (a color of the same name was used by Chrysler in the late ‘50s). This non-standard color was not mentioned in any Fender catalogs (The closest official Fender color at the time was Shell Pink listed from 1960-1963). An undercoat of Desert Sand can be seen where the top color has worn off. Proof that this color is factory original can be seen after unscrewing the neck. An area of paint from the body has stuck to the neck leaving a bare spot in the neck pocket that is an exact match to the glob stuck to the neck."

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
For what it's worth: https://davesguitar.com/dgs_collection/stratocaster-61-2/

"Besides having all the classic characteristics that make early ‘60s Strats appealing to players and collectors, this one has an ultra-rare color. According to an old piece of masking tape attached under the pickguard, the color is Tahitian Coral (a color of the same name was used by Chrysler in the late ‘50s). This non-standard color was not mentioned in any Fender catalogs (The closest official Fender color at the time was Shell Pink listed from 1960-1963). An undercoat of Desert Sand can be seen where the top color has worn off. Proof that this color is factory original can be seen after unscrewing the neck. An area of paint from the body has stuck to the neck leaving a bare spot in the neck pocket that is an exact match to the glob stuck to the neck."

Thanks for that!

That guitar did not sell. It’s now re-listed at 22K.
See posts #103 and #105

Top Bottom