1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Thick and fat? Whats it mean really

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, May 30, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I always though thick and fat tone was boosted mids and low mids and reduced treble to get a very warm sound.

However I saw in another thread someone saying the soldano SLO 100 is thick, and I have one and its very bright with no low mids built in at all.

so what is your definition of thick? defintition of fat? and then warm?

I though they were the same kinda

also list your amp and how you have EQ controls so we can visually see.

I will go first

Bogner xtc red channel
    excursion Loose
    Volume 11 oclock
    Gain noon
    treble 9 oclock
    mids 3 oclock
    bass noon
    presence one oclock

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

When I think 'thick' my old Soldano Decatone always comes to mind first. Of course the Emi Cannibus Rex speakers probably helped too.

3. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

The SLO with the Depth mod and KT66s can get thick. In it's natural state, it's pretty thin.

4. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

My Budda SD30 with my strat in the neck position = :banana:banana:banana

5. bynt

bynt Member

The Beano record. That's thick and fat to me. Warm? I would say almost any real power tube distortion is pretty warm (that I've heard); 6l/v6's, kt66,el34/84. They all sound really different but I think there's a "warmth" in all of them when cranked. It's just really hard for me to describe the way something sounds with words. It's a needed evil but it's corrupt from the start.