Thick, Fat OD with articulation for Matchless amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtw, Jun 21, 2006.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Which OD pedal would work best to add fat, thick lows and still retain great articulation with my Matchless C30 and strat? I tend to prefer the second EF86 channel in general. Need opinions...

Was thinking of the Barber Burn Unit EQ or the Sparkle Drive for the clean blend function. Any other suggestions? Is mixing the two channels on the Matchless the best way to achieve the thickness while retaining definition? Help! :)

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Eternity all the way :BEER

3. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

You might mean the Barber Tone Press instead of the Burn Unit EQ if you are referring to the one that has a clean blend function like the Sparkle Drive.

5. jtw

jtw Member

carltonh, I was just talking about the blend function on the Sparkle Drive. Sorry, I guess my original post was worded in a confusing way :rolleyes: I will check out the Tone Press though, hadn't thought of that one. Thanks for bringing that one up.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, keep 'em comin! I'd like to try the Eternity, and even a Landgraff if I could get my hands on one, but wouldn't even begin to know how to track either one of those down to listen to.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Klon Centaur

7. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have a Matchless Chieftain and many dirt boxes...
    With strats, I think the Eternity will do the job. I had the sparkle drive, and it was very nice too, by the way.
    As ODs, I would recommend the Eternity or the Analogman Boss Blues driver.
    Do not overview fuzzes. Some of them are awesome into this amp: Sunface, White Dragon for example.
    Another cool and cheap suggestion: a simple Rat!
    :)

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

you might want to check out the Fulltone OCD!

9. raz

raz Member

Do you like the lows from your instrument going straight into the Matchless? If not, then the Sparkle Drive isn't likely to help. In fact it may go the other direction. The Sparkle is from the Tube Screamer family and Tube Screamers tend to cut bass. So even if you mix unaffected signal back in, you may still be losing some low end.

A pedal to consider is the MI Audio Tube Zone, either a second or third generation version. The second generation TZ's have character controls inside that you can adjust to control brightness and fatten up the bottom end. The 3rd generation TZ's have these controls on the outside. TZ's also have an enormous amount of gain available. Between the character controls and the gain knob, you should be able to dial in the amount of fat and articulate you want.

10. JPenn

JPenn Member

Check out the Barber Direct Drive. It's got a pretty good amount of gain, but it's a "clearer" type like a tube screamer. I have a problem with dirt boxes getting too thick on the gig. I've been switching back and forth between the DD, a Maxon SD9 and an OCD. The DD is the clearest of the bunch.

11. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Eternity here too. Klon will make it FAT, Eternity will make it sing :)

12. dave s

dave s Member

jtw,.

I'm using a matchless clubman and a new voxac30cc and the pedals that I spec'd for the matchless seem to work well with both amps. Honestly, getting OD/Dist pedals that 'played nice' with the matchless was a real pain. Went through a whole bunch of them until I found a few that worked well with the clubman.

Realizing the clubman is not exactly what you own, your amp is probably similar enough that what worked for me might work for you as well.

Here's a list of currently used pedals and those that I thought were a good 'fit' for my clubman rig:

ZIM - Just about ANY card in the ZIM worked because of the 8-position 'voicing' rotary selector on the board. Best card for med/high gain in the ZIM was the T+ card.

MI Audio Crunch Box - currently on pedal board. Great tight low end, plenty of OD and dist on tap. Only nit is that it's a little noisy with a strat or tele.

Xotic AC/RC boost pedals: These two pedals sound GREAT through either the Matchless or my VOX amp. Both currently on pedal board

Tech 21 Double Drive: This pedal was recommended by a few matchless players. No lie. It works in spades for an overdrive. No flub on low-end at all.

Analogman Sunface fuzz: Works like a dream with both amps. currently on pedal board as well.

I won't even BEGIN to go through the pedals bought, tried, didn't work and moved. But those stated above work fine for me.

dave

13. jtw

jtw Member

Guys, thank you so much for the suggestions. I actually have a Klon and an OCD, both of which were mentioned. I've liked the OCD at times in the past, but there's something in its inherent voicing that doesn't totally do it for me through the Matchless. the Klon sounds FANTASTIC with the Matchless though, and the FAT comment is spot-on. It's a great unit, but to really get it to smoke, it seems like I really need to push the amp and pedal volume louder, and while i'm not using this amp at tiny gigs, it can still get pretty loud as most of you know!

Interesting about the AC/RC boosters. I was just on Xotic's site last night watching some of the demo videos, and the AC booster really sounded like something I'd like to try. Very similar to what I'm hearing in my head, just wondering, sonically, what it will sound like through the EL84s. Most of the players on the video demos were using Fender-type amps it seems. But, Dave S, you seem to thing they work very well with Voxy types, so I'll definitely give it a go. Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming if you have more suggestions!

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Different amps, but I found that if I just throw my Catalinbread SCP in front of the Chieftain, that it really brings out the amp. I also use a Fulltone FD-II 10th Anniversary. I have just a tad bit of grit set on the amp then use the SCP to boost it more.

I have an Xotic RC Booster and BB Preamp coming soon and I'm really interested to see how they compliment the amp.

15. Craise

Craise Member

+1 On the Bjfe Emerald Green Distortion Machine...
    Unlike others it sounds and feels like an amp...not a pedal, or not just "overdrive". Very amp like, dynamic and touch senstive. I've found that barber pedals are VERY VERY good value for there price, around $100 but do have a pedal like sound and feel to them. IMHO, YMMV. If you have a Matchless...you can afford a better pedal to put in front of it... The EGDM will match the matchless for sure. Many people use them with Vox amps and they are voiced to go with Voxy type amps. Hand made and voiced by the Mad Professor of Swenden himself.
    Worth checking out for sure.
    Good luck!
    :dude