Thick fuzzzzzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SlinkyMan, Sep 24, 2005.

1. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

I'm looking for a thick, sustaining fuzz, in about the price range of US $150. Really smooth, and true bypass would be great. Any idea's?

Thanks. Matt

2. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Frantone's The Sweet is thick and full of sustain. It may retail a little higher than your budget though.

4. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking for a basic Fuzz Face type of sound, I'm really diggin' my Monsterpiece silicon Fuzz Face clone. The builder has been selling them new on Ebay for about $75 or $85 for a 3 knob version (w/ bias knob). Well made, cool looking, great sounding, and Richard stands behind his product. Don't know if it would fit your definition of "thick, sustaining" type of fuzz, if there is one thing I've learned on this forum it's that what qualifies as high gain varies greatly from player to player. Also, your guitar/amp setup and whether or not you plan to stack the fuzz with other gain boxes will of course make a big difference too. If you're playing a basically clean amp and you want a box that will deliver the goods without help from another pedal, then one of the many fine Big Muff types out there (Sweet, Skreddy, etc) might be more the ticket for you. :cool:

5. ck3

ck3 Member

The Barge Concepts BB-1 (Roland AF-100 BeeBaa Clone) is $19 US over your budget, but well worth it ... and I believe that worldwide shipping may still be included in the price.

6. meterman

meterman Member

Fulltone Soulbender (made after 8/01) and MJM Foxy Fuzz do that for me...

7. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Thanks guys.

I'm really digging the soundclips of the Frantone Peach Fuzz and "The Sweet", does anybody have experience with them? How do they hold up in lower gain setting's also? I'm trying to get from a Voodoo Chile sort of rhythm tone to a Eric Johnson-esk lead tone.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

There is nothing low-gain about The Sweet. It's brutal!

Actually, you can roll the gain back and get a nice warm and wooly tone, one that Warren Haynes would approve of.

9. JLee

JLee Member

Check out the Addrock Geranium Fuzz. Fuzz Face based circuit with a few tweaks.

10. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

That looks awesome. And it's a little more cost effective.

Any other suggestions?

11. meterman

meterman Member

If you're looking for Voodoo Chile and EJ tones you probably want to try a silicon fuzzface. I love my Sybil fuzz, a 2-in-1 fuzzface with both germ and silicon and the ability to blend them together. I think the Sweet is more of a Big Muff type fuzz but I'm not positive on that....

12. erksin

erksin Member

A Tonefactor.com Hellbilly..?

13. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Okay...just curious about what clips your talking about of the Frantone stuff. If your talking about the ones from their site, I have one question......are you serious? I know we all have different tastes but DAMN.

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

My favorite all-time fuzz pedal is a X Vex Fuzz Factory. They're unmatchable for their tonal range & sheer grin factor.

15. WailingMookie

WailingMookie Member

My favorite pedal of this type is the Skreddy Zero. In fact this is my favorite all around distortion/fuzz pedal right now. It won't sound like a classic fuzz face--it's more defined and aggressive--but it can give you all sorts of more "modern" sounding fuzz like Smashing Pumpkins to Queens of the Stone Age (I know QOTSA doesn't actually use fuzz). The EQ is really unique and extremely usable, so that's another plus. This pedal can make my strat sound like a humbucker equipped beast! Check it out.
    Skreddy Zero

As far as classic fuzz face tones (e.g. Jimi) go, I still haven't found anything to top the AnalogMan NKT-275 w/ Sundial. Though, I'll admit I kinda stopped looking after I got it because it was exactly what I was looking for. Since then a bunch of interesting fuzz face clones have started popping up. Maybe one day I'll check them out, too.

16. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I've gotta pipe in to suggest a Tonebender MKII clone of some type. They have plenty of gain (more than a Fuzz Face, for sure) and sustain aplenty. The MKII is not really a smooth fuzz, though. There is always a little bit of rasp & squawk in the tone, but the bottom end is full and thick and the mids really cut. My fave, in general. Lots of folks make good clones, with the D*A*M and Pro Analog versions being the best I've tried. Good luck.

17. 6789

6789 Member

The Frantone Creme Puff has a thick full Fuzz sound with lots of low end.

18. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Yeah, I really don't like those either! I was actually talking about some I got from another site, when it is used with other amps... If I remember the link I'll post it later.

19. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Does anybody have any home recorded soundclips of their fuzz's that they are willing to post? Any sort of fuzz that would fit into the "smooth, thick, fat, high gain, vintage" thing.

Thanks, Matt

20. soupbone

soupbone Member