Thick Neck vs Thin Neck Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratzrus, Jul 27, 2006.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It seem that most people on TGP prefer thick necks n LP reissues, but since I have been a Strat player for longer than I'll admit, the thinner neck of the Les Paul Classic really works for me.

Is the reason why some prefer the thicker necks purely tone, or are there feel and playabliity issues as well. Has anyone noticed a significant difference in tone and or sustain between the two?

stratrzrus

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have an R6 that has a really big neck, and I used to have a Standard that had a smaller 60's style neck, as well as a CS 336 w/ a 60's neck. The sustain that I get from my R6 (56 Goldtop) is considerably more dramatic than with either of the other two guitars. I think part of the reason with the Standard was that it also didn't have a long neck tenon, but w/ the 336 it probably had to do with the weight of the guitar. I love my R6, it sustains wonderfully, big dramatic bends, each note sings for what seems like days. The biggest thing for me was with my small hands, it was much easier to play chords on the bigger neck, my hand just fit the neck perfectly.

3. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Playing 4 sets a night on a thin neck was causing my hand to cramp. On a thick neck, my hand is supported by the round fat shape and voila.... no cramps. I have small hands but for some reason, I can play more fluidly on a fat neck.

4. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

The thin necks make my hands ramp also.

Not exactly related to a LP but: I have a MIM Classic 60s Tele that had a thin "C" shaped neck and the tone of that guitar was pretty thin as well. Before I made any other changes, I put on an Allparts Fat neck and the sound changed drastically. Was it because of the added mass of the neck? I think so, but the original neck was rosewood and the replacement was maple, so who knows.

I like 'em fat.

5. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

On all my guitars, the fatter the better. Of course, I've had bad sounding necks of all kinds...... :( You do not need huge hands to play a huge neck, just medium or larger will suffice.

6. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

My hands cramp also when I play guitars w/smaller necks. Bar chords can do it quickly for me. Every guitar I own has a very big neck. People are surprised when they pick my guitar up, but everyone says that the big necks are easily manuevered.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

I bought my big-necked R6 for the playability. The tone/sustain is not appreciably different from my thin-necked Standard. I find that my hands get tired much more quickly on thin necks.

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

I just got a Suhr Classic T with the Even C Fat .880 - .960 neck carve and I can say without doubt that for me, I'm way more comfortable and way faster than on the standard carve I have on my Classic.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Great replies.

I never thought about the cramping issue. I always preferred thin necks because I found them to be "faster", but have suffered with hand cramps for years (oddly,I have found that playing Street Fighting Man relieves them, although this is useless on stage).

I'm really happy with a few of the guitars I have now and have some other spending priorities (amp maintenence), but have been hankering for a P-90 Les Paul.

Sounds like a fat neck may be worth a try.

stratzrus

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Try before you buy.

Best, Pete.