Thick, throaty wah that cuts big in a mix?

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
What I mean regarding the 18v is how do you use it wirh a power supply? I have a voodoo labs pedal power. I run some pedals at 18v using an xotic voltage doubler. You mean it has its own power supply?
The pedal itself requires 18v and was sold with it's own power 18v supply. I would imagine any 18v power supply would work. It's not a 9v wah being pushed with 18v, it was designed for 18v.

Slideman

I’ve always preferred the Buddah Wah for this...it has a prominent mid-range EQ and sweep and cuts right through.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting, I found the CAE to have a better sweep and range than other wah's I had.
That includes a dunlop Cry baby Q, RMC 1, Budda wah and ol' vox 847.
I place mine after my boss TU2 and before my Xotic SP compressor.
Cuts like a knife (yellow fasel) and barks like a hellhound (red fasel) and can spice up a overdrive when stacked with the boost kicked in.
But it just might not work with the rest of your setup.
Hope you find the right one!
Thank you,
I'll continue to work with it some.
Did you try that Petrucci wah?
I did find I like the Q on the yellow and red to be about 1/3 of the way up so around 10:00?
The I ternal gain is for the wah itself and I have that around half I believe.
I find the boost just adds some gain but I prefer it with lower or the boost off as it seems fatter?
I had a Cantrell years ago and did love it.
I only wish the wah was auto on like the 95Q.

Felix Leclerc

Had the 18v 535Q, Wylde wah and Fulltone Clyde. The best sounding one of three with alot of gain was the Wylde wah.

Now I use the Friedman no more tears. I don’t miss the Wylde wah anymore. I like my wahs to sound thick and burly. It could be what you’re looking for.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Had the 18v 535Q, Wylde wah and Fulltone Clyde. The best sounding one of three with alot of gain was the Wylde wah.

Now I use the Friedman no more tears. I don’t miss the Wylde wah anymore. I like my wahs to sound thick and burly. It could be what you’re looking for.
Friedman makes a wah? Thanks!

melodiusthunk

Bronzd & Supported Member
Gold Supporting Member
I owned the Wilson Rippah wah for 10+ years and it sounded awesome going into any gained-up tone.

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
The Petrucci wah is ridiculous, it almost sounds like a daft punk synth it does so much wawwwwoooww. It also has the eq when you open it up so you can adjust the sweep. The way I have it set now is useless for most things because the sweep is so wide, but with high gain it sound like godzilla or something.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
So many choices! Thanks.
I forgot about that rippah wah.

So I went to a jam session tonight. I used my CAE wah. I think I have the Q set rather low and the I ternal gain pot less than halfway. I ran the wah with the gain boost off. I find it sounds bigger with the gain boost off, since I already run a lot of gain. It's not as if it is a volume boost.
I used it on red and it sounded good!!!
Maybe I keep it.

Now I am curious about the Friedman.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The Petrucci wah is ridiculous, it almost sounds like a daft punk synth it does so much wawwwwoooww. It also has the eq when you open it up so you can adjust the sweep. The way I have it set now is useless for most things because the sweep is so wide, but with high gain it sound like godzilla or something.
So, you are saying it's good? :)
Ha..
I want to try this or the Friedman.

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
So, you are saying it's good? :)
Ha..
I want to try this or the Friedman.
Yeah it's really good, it can do the thing I'm talking about, or a more classic wah thing. It has the eq adjustment inside so you can set it like you want. It's like a rack cry baby in a pedal.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah it's really good, it can do the thing I'm talking about, or a more classic wah thing. It has the eq adjustment inside so you can set it like you want. It's like a rack cry baby in a pedal.
That's awesome.
I have to compare to my CAE401

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
How was the stock, out of the box sound?

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
Mk
How was the stock, out of the box sound?
Out of the box it's set to Petruccis sound which is like I described except I put a more exaggerated sweep on mine. It's kind of like Adam Jones wah sounds with a little more throatiness out of the box

SG-Slinger

Hey guys

I currently use the CAE MC404 wah on the red fasel. I like it but I don't bond with it as I would like. I used to have a modified Vox that really sang and was expressive. Not fat enough though.

I was thinking of getting the 95Q for the convenience of the auto on function but not sure the tone is what I want.

I love the tones guys like Cantrell, Zakk Wylde, Petrucci and Tremonti get with their wah for high gain.

I would love a smaller Junior sized wah but it must have the tone, so will probably stay with full sized wahs.

What about the Petrucci wah? Seems really fat and throaty and it has the ability to adjust midrange for more cut!

Thanks.
If you find one. Very underrated Wah

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Mk

Out of the box it's set to Petruccis sound which is like I described except I put a more exaggerated sweep on mine. It's kind of like Adam Jones wah sounds with a little more throatiness out of the box
That's awesome.
I have to try one.
What do you mean more exaggerated sweep? Was that thru adjusting the frequencies? I saw the Pete Thorn demo where he says it's the deepest and most throaty he has heard.

Trending Topics