• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thickest Necks

The Rossness

What guitars that you've played had the thickest neck ( front to back)? I played a Jeff Beck strat once that had a super think neck. What else is out there?

landru64

i have a k-line that has the thickest he had at the time. like 1" front to back. i think it was an allparts neck... unbelievably comfortable. best big neck i have.

i think there are some pretty thick necks on gvcg guitars (i have one, but it's not as beefy and yet not as comfortable as the k-line's)

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I played a buddy's 58 Strat. Had a neck on it like an old classical, huge, wide, very thick (almost too thick). Also had a 57 Reissue Goldtop that had a big baseball bat on it too.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Any 57 Gibson neck, like on the VOS Custom and Junior models, feels big to me but not uncomfortable. And the tone of these guitars is unsurpassed, IMO.

MR.K

The mid 50'd Harmony H44's (the little copper colored ones) have super big necks.

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
For a Fender the Allparts FAT models (SRO-FAT, SMO-FAT, TMO-FAT... anyting ending in FAT) is going to be a big neck. The thing about Fender necks is that they are 1" from the bottom of the flat at the heel to the top of the curve of the fingerboard. So unless you have something specially made and more than 1" which could create some issues if you get too much more, the 1" is all you have as far as thickness of the profile.

BUT... 1" with no taper to the profile is PRETTY thick! I can't see wanting any thicker, and most people would probably agree. But I could be wrong.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I have two partscasters built by Rob at Fret-Tech...one with the SMO-FAT and the other with the SRO-FAT. Never would have thought I'd like a neck this big until I played one.

Yeah, they're huge, but really fun to play and very comfortable! Now I'm thinking about getting one for my Tele because it feels pretty strange switching guitars at shows!

Mudder

Silver Supporting Member
I have a USA Robin Ranger that has a big fat neck, bigger than anything I've played before, probably very similar to the FAT necks mentioned. It took a little bit to get used to it, but now its real comfy.

EricPeterson

I have a lowly Squier SE strat that has a super thick neck. It's going on a frankenstrat.
Mine too, it is a 97 squire, it is a big neck, a hair larger than my SRV. It is also wide too. Beefy, comfy. It needs nut and fret work though, I just can bring myself to put that much into a neck off a guitar I paid 90 bucks for.

ducatisteve

Jimmie Vaughan Strat & SRV Strat have bigger necks. I have a lowly Squier SE strat that has a super thick neck. It's going on a frankenstrat.
I have a Squier Bullet with a downright giant neck on it, and feels wonderful. I wish I could find my calipers so I could measure it, but it's one of the biggest I have ever held. With the help of Chris Klein, it now sounds just as good as it plays, too!

humbuster

Another vote for the 51 Nocaster.
Played one a few months ago and it made my R8 feel like a pencil.
Way to fat for me.

Top Bottom