thiking of replacing my fulltone '69

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woude, Jan 3, 2006.

1. woude

woude Member

I have this pedal for over a year now and I haven't used it ONE single time with the rest of the band... If I engage the pedal, It produces one big pile of muddy fuzz that nobody seems to like... Solo lines sound nicer, but rythem playing; forget it! Why do I have it you might ask? Well, it sounds great at home, that's for sure.

I had the zvex fuzzfactory and *hated* the lack of a tone-knob. It was a really great pedal, but just too bright! So I started looking for another fuzz. Bought a big muff, but found it hard to get a balanced tone out of it. Too extreme and unrefined for me. Then I bought the Fulltone 69 after demoing it in the store. I like the sound when at home (and while demoing), but in a band setting, not so much. My main complaint is that it lacks that raspyness of the fuzzfactory, making it too much of a muddy sound, esp. when playing rythem.

I tried some other pedals: keeley fuzzhead, mjm london fuzz I and II, mjm roctavios, mjm foxey lady, mjm britbender, diamond pedals fireburst but compared to those pedals I like the fulltone '69 better.

Sooooo... I THINK I need a raspy rythem fuzz, with preferably a tone knob, with preferably more gain than the fulltone '69 and with more definition between the notes. Sounds like a fuzzfactory with a tone knob, I know... Pedals I've been thinking of:
    -Fulltone '70 (is it really that different?)
    -red witch fuzz god
    -one of those mi audio fuzzez
    -frantone peachfuzz

More suggestions or advice welcome!

(I'll be playing it with a koch classictone combo (2x el-34, 40w. 2x10" jensen alnico's) and stratocasters.)

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I have the '69 and '70, and they share the fat, almost muddy thing, depending on how clean the amp is. The '70 is a bit smoother, the '69 can be better defined, especially with the bias backed off.
    I actually like my DOD Classic fuzz--tone knob and cheap.
    Sounds like you're commited to a fuzz and not a hard distortion, but for rhythm you might need to look at something like an SD-9 or an OCD.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

For the 69 or the Fuzz factory, have you ever tried an EQ pedal (if you try the Boss GE-7 be aware it needs to be modded to quiet it down) just before the OD or just after?

4. woude

woude Member

I played both the OCD and SD-9. Nice pedals, but I want a fuzzier sound. Hendrix at woodstock comes to mind. Hmmm... maybe a octafuzz (with octave disengaged) or even a fulltone Ultimate octave would do the trick...

5. woude

woude Member

never tried an actual EQ pedal, but when I had my fulldrive just after the fuzzfactory, and with a subtle drive setting, all the harsh sounds were gone. I guess an EQ pedal will work too, it's still one of my last options, because I want to look for a pedal that doesn't need others to sound good. Still, thanks for the advice!

6. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's fine..I just recently wrote about EQ, and I understand what you are saying, but just to mention, EQ can be set so it is on all the time, it really can do amazing things with your sound. The reason I mentioned is, you also mentioned another pedal recently that was "too thin" a chorus, so I was just thinking if you have all these tone, more than gain, issues, an EQ sounds like it might be a good answer.

But I get what you mean, you want a pedal that sounds good on its own. But again, if you have more than one amp, you can often get pedals that sound great on one and not so great on another, the EQ can help a lot.

Took me years before I thought about getting such a "boring" pedal, but man...after getting one, I wouldn't want to be without mine.

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

While the Analog Man is a great fuzz face, even with the Keltner thin mod it can be very wooly and dark, especially with humbuckers. If you are thinking of that pedal, I would recommend the Sun Lion as it has a separate on/off Beano Boost treble Booster. This is the setup that Marc Ford of The Black Crowes uses-he plays both humbucker and single coil guitars with it and gets great tone. I would also check out the various Sola Sound Tone Bender replicas-ie. D*A*M* MkIII Custom Order or Fulltone Soul Bender which have a tone control and also clean up like a fuzz face.

9. woude

woude Member

Maybe you're right! I'm interested now and I'm going to look up on threads here about EQ... I'm defenately going to try an EQ pedal soon, see if that helps for the '69.

10. woude

woude Member

Analogmans pedals are really rare around here in the Netherlands, but I'll ask around and see if I can try those.

I tried the Britbender, a tonebender clone. Maybe I should try that one in a band setting... I remember it as being too rude and snarly, but maybe that will work in a bandsetting, something I haven't tried yet! I know someone who wouldn't mind that I borrow it for one evening... Thanks for the advice!

11. onemind

onemind Member

If you can check out a Frantone "The Sweet" you should, I won't plug it here (since I have one for sale) But it seems to meet your requirements.

12. cameron

cameron Member

Is your '69 getting muddy because it's in front of an amp that's already distorting? Many fuzz/amp combinations don't work well, depending on the sound of the amp when driven hard. Lots of the classic fuzz designs tend to get muddy in front of an amp that isn't really, really clean. Like Twin Reverb clean, or Hiwatt clean.

One design that tends to work well in front of a distorting amp is the Tone Bender style fuzz. The Fulltone Soul Bender is a good example.

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Lovepedal Karl!!

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3170895&q=hi

It's small and killer! Kinda like a tamed down, simple Fuzz Factory. Has a little bit of ring mod for some texture. I still really dig the Fuzz Factory for the outa control stuff, but I too sometimes wish it had a tone control. BTW, the Karl doesn't have a tone control either, but you wont miss it.

Plus you can never really go wrong with a Lovepedal!

14. exodus

exodus Member

I always say it, but I'd check out the McFuzz hot. I've had a slew of other fuzzes including the fulltone '70 and the analogman sunface. Both are nice, but the sunface was too bass heavy.

The McFuzz is a great pick--its really an overdriven/fuzz tone. If you want mid/late hendrix, its a good one. Very balanced and useable fuzz tone.

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I gigged a '69 for a few years and had the same problems with low-end definition- it's the germanium transistors, they don't take heat well. (It's why silicon trannies became the industry standard in the late 60s.) Anyway, I ended up with the Pedalworx McFuzz, which solves the mud problem by using a germ tranny for the clipping stage and a silicon for the amp stage. It also includes a great midrange-bypass tone control which allows you to tailor the treble/bass balance to your rig. It's the most dependable and flexible fuzz face-type circuit I've tried; cuts through the mix better than the all-germ types but doesn't have the harshness or feedback issues of an all-silicon model (like the Fulltone '70 I tried). Also, the builder, Bob McBroom, is a good guy who'll tweak the circuit as you like it. "Knows tone," as they say.

16. meterman

meterman Member

I had a '69 for years, fairly mediocre fuzz IMHO after trying many others. I recommend the Retro-man SYBIL!!! What a pedal, simply amazing, great vintage FF tones with lots of tweakability. If you don't want to drop that kind of coin the McFuzzes are an excellent choice....

www.retroman-music.com

17. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with a Tone Bender MkII clone, will cut through much better than a fuzz face type. The Throbak Stone Bender rocks. :AOK