Thin Lizzy - Where Have I Been?

News to none but me: Thin Lizzy is sick!

I was a mechanic at a small indie shop for about ten years and had the local classic rock station beat me over the head with 1 Thin Lizzy song, 5 AC/DC songs, 5 Zeppelin songs, 2 Sabbath songs, etc for those ten years and subsequently totally ruled out ever listening to those bands by my own choice.

Somehow, five years since stepping foot in that shop, and five years since listening to that radio station, I had The Boys Are Back In Town stuck in my head, went to listen to it, and found that the song is actually super awesome and a total crusher! I feel like an idiot! Just dove into their catalog and it's so dang good!

Also, I realized listening to them that I actually do like the sound of a Les Paul through a cranked Marshall and I just thought I didn't (why???). Between this and some of Lindsey Buckingham's lead tones, I can't keep denying the truth. I'm doomed!

:phones
:beer

crifasta

Gold Supporting Member
Loved Lizzy in my formative years and when I rediscover them every so often, I realize all over again how great they were.

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
Love Thin Lizzy, when i was a kid growing up on Queen Kiss Zep etc my moms friends from Ireland (i moved from there when i was 5) used to ask why i didnt listen to Thin Lizzy, as an 8 yr old i guess that name bugged me out, so it took till my teens to get into them but once i did man...I personally like all of it but its 3 diff eras, 1st 3 Lps with Eric Bell, those are my faves for diff reasons, then the Nightlife LP which i know ppl say this or that about it but i love that LP and then on to Gorham and Robertson and then the Later stuff which i like a lot of but not as much as the first two eras but still love it when i'm in the mood for it..Hapy Trails to you! i wish i was just discovering them :)

paulbearer

not my ticket, but "was there". Bawstin' Gaahden.
Thin Lizzy opened. My Mind opened, and never closed.

1977-02-09.jpg

771117_photos_thin_lizzy_alan_perry_08.jpg

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
News to none but me: Thin Lizzy is sick!

I was a mechanic at a small indie shop for about ten years and had the local classic rock station beat me over the head with 1 Thin Lizzy song, 5 AC/DC songs, 5 Zeppelin songs, 2 Sabbath songs, etc for those ten years and subsequently totally ruled out ever listening to those bands by my own choice.

Somehow, five years since stepping foot in that shop, and five years since listening to that radio station, I had The Boys Are Back In Town stuck in my head, went to listen to it, and found that the song is actually super awesome and a total crusher! I feel like an idiot! Just dove into their catalog and it's so dang good!

Also, I realized listening to them that I actually do like the sound of a Les Paul through a cranked Marshall and I just thought I didn't (why???). Between this and some of Lindsey Buckingham's lead tones, I can't keep denying the truth. I'm doomed!

:phones
:beer

Do you have the Buckingham/Nicks solo LP ?

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
not my ticket, but "was there". Bawstin' Gaahden.
Thin Lizzy opened. My Mind opened, and never closed.

1977-02-09.jpg

771117_photos_thin_lizzy_alan_perry_08.jpg

I saw Queen in 78 at MSG and i heard about this later when i got into THin Lizzy...OMG what a show, i heard they'd just see who could blow it up harder night after night!! cant begin to imagine that duo!! LUCKY YOU!! :)

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
Big fan here and and it's really such a shame that players like Phil Lynott from Lizzy, Paul Kossoff, Jimi, Janice and countless other impactful players succumbed to drugs when they did. I always feel a bit melancholy at the same time their music brings me joy, knowing that at least some of those we lost in the music world possibly could have outlived their self destructive behavior had they made it past their 30's or so.

Love the music but miss the players.

Dave2512

Phil was 36 when he died and on the downside of his career. Still a shame but his story is a little different, not really misadventure as much as he wilted away.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know all the circumstance, but it always seemed they should have done more to try and help Phil (And maybe they did?).
Many of the early hero's that went down from Heroin weren't as obvious as Phil, and didn't last as long, everybody around him new what was up, for a long time, but still they couldn't get to Him. Really sad.

The 70's had some mighty fine rock bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUK

csotolongo

I've said it many times: quite possibly the greatest band ever. IMHO of course, but I'm right on this.

Thin Lizzy/Phil Lynott have been my favorite rock act since 1978. Saw them twice in concert, 1979 with Gary Moore/Scott Gorham and 1980 Snowy White/Scott Gorham but to be clear Thin Lizzy was Phil Lynott and when he passed so did TL. Still listen and think about them daily, although I rarely listen to other music from that era, I like continually finding new music.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom