Thin Lizzy - Where Have I Been?

monty

I'm a latecomer to the band as well. Really got into Gary Moore a couple years ago and found out he was in the band at one time and checked them out. Some fantastic songs throughout the catalog!

JOATMOS

When I'm buzzed on booze, I play and sing "Borderline". It make me melancholy in a sublime kind of way.
Thin Lizzy was scoffed by myself as I looked for "Rock and Roll Over" by Kiss at the local record shop. i saw a life size poster of Phil, promoting the album Jailbreak.
Then a friend who didn't really play guitar told me they were great. He played "Opium Trail". I was blown away. Then, "Live and Dangerous" was played constantly, and it really bummed me out that they tuned 1/2 step off, as I was weak at anything but standard tuning. "Still in Love with You" and "Massacre". I'll stop.

AXEnGEAR4J

Ahh my high school days, little off subject but I remember when those tickets went from $7.50 to $10.00 and we were astounded!
oh the days....
not my ticket, but "was there". Bawstin' Gaahden.
Thin Lizzy opened. My Mind opened, and never closed.

1977-02-09.jpg

771117_photos_thin_lizzy_alan_perry_08.jpg

Marc Roy

Big fan here. My cousin had "Johnny the Fox", "LIve and Dangerous", "Bad Reputation" among others in his record collection. I grew up on it.

I'm a fan of the Brian Robertson/Scott Gorham era.

wattage

I love Lizzy and like most Phil is really the band for me. I love the early era so much, Eric was such a cool guitarist and they had a very Cream like vibe going on IMO. As I got into them the early stuff just seemed much more organic to me, not knocking the other eras I am a fan of just about all they did, got Phil's solo albums as well.

Check out the One Night in Dublin DVD from the show that was a tribute to Phil when they unveiled the statue, killer stuff, Gary was on fire!

Mobass

Gold Supporting Member
Big fan for years. Saw them at Winterland twice. The Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox tours I believe. The intro to Soldier of fortune still makes me smile. Check out Gorham's band Black Star Riders for a bit of the old days...

NashSG

While Thin Lizzy had a handful of classic rock radio nuggets, I'd still put them up with lesser known in the US artists like Rory Gallagher, where they had a great discography full of good songs. There are still a couple Gallagher records I haven't got, but I think I have all of Thin Lizzy's studio records and a few live things. All I have heard is
worth checking out.

While Thin Lizzy had a handful of classic rock radio nuggets, I'd still put them up with lesser known in the US artists like Rory Gallagher, where they had a great discography full of good songs. There are still a couple Gallagher records I haven't got, but I think I have all of Thin Lizzy's studio records and a few live things. All I have heard is
worth checking out.

I dig Rory's work but he wasn't the song writer of Phil Lynott. Unfortunately Rory's output has some filler in it, whereas most Thin Lizzy (except for the last 2 or 3 albums) was all killer.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
I dig Rory's work but he wasn't the song writer of Phil Lynott. Unfortunately Rory's output has some filler in it, whereas most Thin Lizzy (except for the last 2 or 3 albums) was all killer.

Kind of agree... Less filler w/ Lizzy, but still too much. Rory? Such a killer player, yet plenty of subpar material. But, when Phil hit it? Incredible... Rory oft more inspiring during solos than tunes.

I was listening to the Cowboy Song in the car with my family the other day. The first solo arrived, and there is this floating note that is just glorious...I've heard it dozens (hundreds?) of times, but I was still thinking, "family, why aren't you all blown away by this?" Needless to say, they said nothing and basically just hated the music. Typical. I have failed as a dad and husband apparently.

BADHAK

I was listening to the Cowboy Song in the car with my family the other day. The first solo arrived, and there is this floating note that is just glorious...I've heard it dozens (hundreds?) of times, but I was still thinking, "family, why aren't you all blown away by this?" Needless to say, they said nothing and basically just hated the music. Typical. I have failed as a dad and husband apparently.

Numerous times over the years, I have been driving along listening to The Cowboy Song, and at the end I've said "WOW" out loud. Incredibly good song, particularly the solos. The first solo is a great example of melody and composition, but the way the second solo charges out of the gate gets me every time.

deejaid

Silver Supporting Member
Love Thin Lizzy. They are one of the bands I listened to a lot in my CD collection then ignored for awhile when I packed up my cd collection and put it in storage.

Love the Robbo/Gorham era best. Fighting is a great album and Jailbreak is perfect from start to finish.

Top Bottom