Thin nitro finishes on Les Paul reissues?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ron, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I have a couple '99 R9s with thin nitro finishes, the pores are readily visible on the backs of these guitars. What other Les Paul reissues (or specific years) have thin finishes like this?

2. t135

t135 Member

Doesn't necessarily mean thin finish. Just means they didn't use a grain filler on the mahogany, which can be quite large. Then there is the issue of the rubbery nitro Gibson uses.

3. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

The nitro finish appears to be thin, whether or not there was a filler. Very much like my early '90s PRS Custom 24 and Artist I guitars.

4. zhivago

zhivago Member

here is a pic of the back of mine, where you can see the finish is pretty thin...it's a 2003

[​IMG]

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I've got wood peaking out in several places on my 05

6. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

As far as I recall, with the '99 40th Anniversary models, Gibson CS was using a more pure nitro, (with less plasticizers) on these guitars and upon finding that it was taking too long to cure, went back to the stuff with more plasticizers a little later.... This is one of the reasons historic LP enthusiasts regard the 40th Anniversary models, insofar that the lacquer is understood as more "historically accurate".

The '99 and early BR '03 guitars, are particularly regarded build years in the eyes of many historic LP enthusiasts in terms of being a bit more unique in terms of collectability... Of course, great guitars can be found from other CS production years.

I did have an '03 R9 with a sunken back finish into the pores though.... Perhaps it depends on who finishes and buffs the guitar, etc.,