Thin picks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EpicEsquire, Apr 26, 2019.

1. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

When I first was learning guitar my instructor had me use thick picks
    Then, years later when I bought my first acoustic guitar I tried a thin pick
    Ever since then, all I have used are thin picks on both electrics and acoustics

It seems that most people, at a minimum, use medium picks - am I one of the few that uses a thin pick for all occasions?

dshobe, +NRG, Matt Dillon and 2 others like this.
  2. erksin

erksin Member

I use the Herco Golds for everything. While thinner, they’re stiff and not at all floppy or soft. Great attack, and having less mass hitting the string allows for way more picking dynamics.

This is coming from a guy who used those thick V-Picks for several years. You never really know what you’re missing out on until you make that dramatic of a switch.

3. beastly

beastly Member

I use .50mm with heavy strings. I go through like, a pick a practice, and I’ve worn my nail perma-flat but I just don’t like them any thicker than that.

+NRG, Ryno1331, MoarGear and 2 others like this.
  4. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

I checked out the V-picks site and I cannot imagine playing with picks that thick - even their "ultra lite" are a medium

I have used Fender thins for years now, not sure I could even use a thick pick without breaking a string lol

5. erksin

erksin Member

Try a Herco Gold - they’re nylon and last pretty much forever.

6. SpaceCat

SpaceCat Member

I also love the Herco golds. They have a nice light snap and just feel nice. I only have volume pots on my guitars out of preference, so if I do want a thicker sound I'll use a Dunlop Tortex, but 95% of the time it's the Hercos.

7. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I use those red Dunlop’s. I think theres a turtle on them. They’re fairly thin, and basically all I use, unless I want a green one on acoustic, but usually it’s the reds for that too.
    I tried thick picks because everyone said they’re better.
    They can keep them.

8. beastly

beastly Member

I use the same ones. Love the feel. I bought some similar Ernie ball ones today hoping they will last longer, but I have my doubts.

9. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

V pick still does it for me. 2.5 Traditional.

Gravity, Adamas, Dunlop 209 as well.

Only time a thin one comes in is if recording a very lacey acoustic rhythm part.

10. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

The wife and I both got 72-packs. I’ll pass on at least 50 to my grandkids.
    (She’ll need a new pack next year....;))

Not Orange and seltaeb like this.
  11. desire machine

desire machine Member

I used to use the a heavy 1.0 nylon Dunlop grip pick .. played mostly metaling stuff. But recently I’ve been experimenting with thinner pics. To emulate Frusciante For some chilly peppers stuff I thought I’d get some thinner pics for the funky rhythm strumming stuff.. saw online that he uses orange Tortex 60 mm. Guitar center didn’t have them so I went with 60 mm in the nylon grip since I like the grip on those which I had been using for heavy picks anyway.

Playing on those picks I noticed that as I played they seemed to get flimsier and seemed a bit too thin so I got a variety pack containing the orange Dunlop to try those and others out. The orange ones actually are way stiffer ... material def makes a big difference .. so I’m still on the hunt for the perfect pick for me. I think I want something thin where it’s got a lot of give but with aenough stiffness for leads and in between. The orange Tortex May even be a bit stiffer than I want but but stiffer than the max grip 60mm.

12. Abram4235

Abram4235 Member

I like the tortex .73 picks. Not floppy so I have some control and not so thin that it feels like I'm whiffing it. It's nice to feel like there is something under your picking hand. That being said, i could never use stone picks or 2+3mm picks. Some give is nice.

I've been using the same picks for so long they feel like an extension of my hand.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    fridgit likes this.
  13. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

I like thinner picks for strumming, but as soon as any complex runs are involved, a thicker pick feels much more controlled.

14. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Only to keep a hard strumming 12 string under control..

Jakeboy likes this.
  15. desire machine

desire machine Member

I’m thinking that’s prob what I want to use. The orange ones are .6 and feel a lol stiffer than I want. The red are .5.

+NRG likes this.
  16. desire machine

desire machine Member

My impression is that the nylon is great for thicker picks but for thin picks they’re too flexible and they become flimsier as you play them. The Tortex keep their rigidity better and seem better to me for a thin pick.

fridgit likes this.
  17. Abram4235

Abram4235 Member

A 72 pack seems like so much more when you're buying it than it actually is. I cranked right through mine. Probably took 8 months or so but I think I had unreasonable expectations.

MoonshineMan likes this.
  18. erksin

erksin Member

Well my experience with them over several years is actually the opposite.

desire machine likes this.
  19. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

Different strokes for different folks...

I mean, different picks for different uses.

Thinner are great for fast acoustic strumming.

Medium are great for electric rhythm.

Heavier are great for single notes.

Really heavy are great for bluegrass flat picking.

Also, the tone can change a lot depending on the material. I prefer the tone of the old brown tortoise shell picks, but somewhere along the line they changed the composition and they don't seem the same. I used to use medium and heavy large teardrop picks from Manny's in NYC. Just found a couple, and I still like them, but they wear out really quick. I mostly use the green large teardrop tortex now, they are sort of lighter heavies. And they wear a lot longer.

20. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I can't do it with a thin pick. Mine are 3mm

funkycam likes this.