• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thin Skin Fenders - opinions?

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I found a really nice looking Fender 62 thin skin Tele online for $1100 + shipping. It's blonde/rosewood and in nice shape with just a few finish chips on back (common with these). Problem is, I can't play it first since it's a few states over. From what I've read about these, they are generally pretty well-liked by Tele players. I play mostly rock but love the bite of a Tele. Not a country picker at all (I'm not that good!).

Anyone here own one and have any thoughts they can share? Is $1100 a decent price? I can't find any for sale online to compare...which is usually a good thing. Thanks in advance.

Storyville

Silver Supporting Member
I had a thin skin tele, sold it and wish I had never sold it. $1,100.00 is a good price.

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '52 'Thin Skin' Tele that is my #1. It plays clean to mean no problem......... I play in a Classic Rock band.

I actually prefer the tone of this guitar over my '51 Nocaster.

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 59 Thinskin Jazzmaster and I love it, great instrument.

Whitecat

Had a 59 RI TS Strat for a while. Great guitar, felt like a notch up from the the Standard stuff for sure for not too much more money. Sold it when I acquired too many Knaggs Severns but would have it still if those didn't exist in my life.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
Thin Skin doesn't do much for tone in my experience... However any AVRI thin skin at $1,100 is worth a look!
Are these pretty comparable in quality to an AVRI? I have an AVRI 70's Strat that I love. I got rid of a custom shop strat since I liked the AVRI so much.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Thin Skin doesn't do much for tone in my experience... However any AVRI thin skin at $1,100 is worth a look!
I think one would be hard pressed to find a real, as in not a marketing, definition of what thin skin really means in terms of what coatings are used and what the thickness of the coatings are. On the resale market, what makes it a thin skin? Paperwork?

Either way, as noted wouldn't be a bad price for an AVRI in good shape regardless of the...skin.

hunter

hunter

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Nice guitars, wouldn't pay up for the thin skin designation personally, but you might do a bit better on resale vs a comparable "regular" AVRI. I have a thin skin strat.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Nice guitars, wouldn't pay up for the thin skin designation personally, but you might do a bit better on resale vs a comparable "regular" AVRI. I have a thin skin strat.
When I bought mine it was the same price as a regular AVRI, but with different specs. Mine is a 59 AVRI with white blonde nitro over nitro and has custom shop 50s (not fat 50s) pickups with a 9.5 radius fretboard and 6105 frets. Not bad for the same price as a regular AVRI at the time.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
I once owned a thin skin '52 RI from Wildwood Guitars and it was fantastic! Only sold it to raise funds for another project.

Bitflogger

Yes, old post but a few of these are still available and they show up used. Each one I have been able to check out has been great. I love mine (68 AVRI Thinline Telecaster) because of the great combo of quality, mix of custom shop stuff, and of old and new such as the radius.

The few I've seen show up on eBay would be more attractive than many vintage style options whether that's the features or price.

jimmyj

That's what I paid for my 55 thinskin tele about 4 or 5 years ago. It's still the guitar I bring to play most of the time, and usually the only guitar.
I don't really care about the thin skin specifically but I know I didn't like the thick gloppy finish on some earlier '52 RI I tried out. I doubt the thinskin affects the tone but it does feel nice, IMO.

I'm sort of looking for a 60s style tele to go with my '55 so if you decide it isn't for you I might be interested in buying from you for that price.

Tritone

I think one would be hard pressed to find a real, as in not a marketing, definition of what thin skin really means in terms of what coatings are used and what the thickness of the coatings are. On the resale market, what makes it a thin skin? Paperwork?
Good point. I have a Thin Skin '62 Jazzmaster and I've often wondered to myself if the finish is actually any thinner than your average American Standard. I somewhat doubt it. But it's still a great guitar and I doubt I'll ever sell it.

stephenyi

I have a 62 thinskin telecaster in lake placid blue. That's a good price. Go for it if you prefer the 9.5 radius and medium jumbo frets over the vintage specs of an AVRI. In addition to a thinner nitro finish, the 62 TS also comes with custom shop 63 tele pickups and a few finishes that are unique to the thinskin line. They are more rare than the AVRI, so if the specs and price appeal to you, I would advise moving quickly.

Hwy14

I would not say yea or nay based upon the thin skin, but those guitars have a 9.5" radius with 6105's if I'm not mistaken. That alone makes it worth it. Fender has a legion of guitars I generally disregard due to their vintage frets and 7.25" radius. I say go for it.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I would not say yea or nay based upon the thin skin, but those guitars have a 9.5" radius with 6105's if I'm not mistaken. That alone makes it worth it. Fender has a legion of guitars I generally disregard due to their vintage frets and 7.25" radius. I say go for it.
I agree. I like the idea of the AVRI 59 strat until I get to the neck.vintage frets and a 7.25 radius is a deal breaker for me. I love my 59 thin skin with the 6105s and 9.5 radius neck .

Trending Topics

Top Bottom